2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

2017 front plate relocation?

179K views 777 replies 295 participants last post by  MazHover 
#1 ·
I just got my new 3 Grand Touring 6MT with the safety and premium packages. So far I adore the car! However I'm not a fan of the location of the front plate, I think it looks pretty bad in the middle of the grille like that. Sadly it's required in the state of Washington. I live in the same town as Corksport so I'm planning on stopping by to pick up the front plate relocater that uses the towing eye.

Has anyone used one of these towing eye relocaters? My main concern is does it obscure or mess with any of the front sensors or the fogs?

#57 ·
Just bought my 2017 U.S. plate relocator. Thanks @minsanity, for having one that is height adjustable. Mine plate will sit as low as possible, just a fraction above my front air dam/splitter for best visual IMO.

When it arrives next week, will going into my growing "mod file." When it our 3 ever going to arrive, LOL...

#59 ·
Does anyone have photos of what damage has been done to the grille if the front plate has already been mounted in the OEM spot and the plate mount is removed?

#63 ·
With all due respect (I have no idea what the cost is), and I don't want to speak for Minsanity, but I feel like I have to stick up for him. If you're not happy with the price or the requirements to install you are not forced to buy it and you are fully welcome to take the time to develop and manufacture your own method to relocate the plate or pursue one of the other known methods you've already brought up in your previous posts.

No need to publicly judge the guy for developing something cool and sharing it with the community. He has to make it worth his time too if he's the one putting the time / effort / materials into it.

FWIW I appreciate your response to my questions about the holes Minsanity. I'm holding off for now - not because of whatever the cost is but because I kind of want to pull my front plate bracket to see what the damage really is before committing to anything and I'm going to wait for the warmer weather before I tinker around with that.

Reactions: minsanity
#65 ·
Naa just me taking it the wrong way as though you were accusing him of charging too much.

But ya... my point reading between the lines is only you can determine if it's worth it to you. All I can say is if I were to be re-locating my plate I'd easily go this route over the tow-hook method. If I had known about it before ordering the car I would've had them not mount the front plate and gone this route from the start.

Alas, that didn't happen and now I have to decide myself if it's worth it for me to move it or not after dealing with the 4 holes that are already there.

I just think it looks so much better in this location than the stock location.

#68 · (Edited)
All cool, guys. I really had no intention of putting out relocator kits. It was initially developed for personal consumption & never expected to see common appreciation. Clamor pushed the search for options to share. I just couldn't imagine putting the same amount of time the prototype took for every relocator made, so cast molds became the lone viable option. I was torn between mass producing & doing em in batches. Took the path of lesser exposure & risk, the latter. Naturally, retail would see the high side. Prior to churning the BM relocators out, consultations on interest & cost amongst local guys were done. Then came the requests for the M2 & the BN M3. None of those 3 are identical & each required its own distinct mold. Each brought me back to step1.:(
To get the kits stateside was another challenge. I can't recall how many requests I've turned down w/ apologies. Good thing my buddy, cruisingpartner, accepted to do this favor, otherwise, this wouldn't be out there.
Again, guys, my apologies. I'm no vendor, just a humble Mown3r here. This mod is a product of our passion & love for our 3s, not of commerce & it debuted here in M3R some 3 years back.
Thanks, @Studum sir, for your understanding. To all the supportive fellow revolutionists & friends here, like @Chazzy J, @Road Trip & company, thanks. No offense was taken here, @grendels_m3. I'm extending my gratitude to this forum, the moderators, for everything they've allowed. Sincere appreciation here.:)

#73 ·
Got mine in the mail super fast...now if I just had the new car. Supposed to be tomorrow...again....

#83 ·
Love that we each get to choose our mods, and how we get to where we want to be. It would be a boring world if every car were identical.