How to restore your headlights - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
AxelaSpeed
Points: 17,071, Level: 83 Points: 17,071, Level: 83 Points: 17,071, Level: 83
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Send a message via AIM to AxelaSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to AxelaSpeed
How to restore your headlights

I was reading and found this great tutorial on how to fix your headlights looking like crap from rocks or just wear and tear, with help from torontomazda3forums (bubba1983)

for more information click here: http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...ad.php?t=24536

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba1983
to make it easier for you

Im currently refinishing my spare set of headlights, as they were quite fugly, the coating on them was chipping off and it jus needed some TLC and love. SO...ill be adding to this writeup as time goes on, as this will take me awhile, untill i get the right result i want....

First Step
Wet Sand entire headlight with 1500 Grit Sandpaper untill you come to a result which you are satisified....my result was to take off all the coating on teh headlight...Wipe with alcohol once done

Second Step
Wet Sand entire headlight with 2000 Grit sandpaper again, and wipe down with alcohol once finished

Third Step
I would recommend trying to source out 2500 and 3000 grit sandpaper and repeating step 1 and 2. I could not find any in my area, so i went to a local paint shop and asked for some help with a compound for plastic to take out 2000grit swirls. Once you have your compound, apply it to your headlight with either an orange cutting pad or a cloth of some sort.

Fourth Step
I opted to put a coat of meguiars plastx on after the compound, as the plastx has fillers in it i believe.

Fifth Step
Buff that shit real good!!

Half way there

Finished product
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 02:05 PM
anthony@ddnmobile
Points: 8,682, Level: 62 Points: 8,682, Level: 62 Points: 8,682, Level: 62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Re: How to restore your headlights

nice find ant, that plastix stuff works wonders on its own, but with the additional sanding prolly works all the better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Celebrities walk on red carpet because they are famous, I walk on toilet paper because i'm the shit"

B-Bass O-Only S-Seniors E-Enjoy

|
|
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
AxelaSpeed
Points: 17,071, Level: 83 Points: 17,071, Level: 83 Points: 17,071, Level: 83

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to AxelaSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to AxelaSpeed

yes def. i was looking all over the place for information this, cuz my lights are fading away bad, im gonna do these this summer once i get some demon eyes in, but its def. some great info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 03:30 PM
anthony@ddnmobile

yeah i used the plastix stuff on mine before my jdms went in, and hoooly goodness, first time i hit those highs the road was flooded wit yellowlight

"Celebrities walk on red carpet because they are famous, I walk on toilet paper because i'm the shit"

|
|
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:32 AM
josh
Points: 7,891, Level: 59 Points: 7,891, Level: 59 Points: 7,891, Level: 59
Activity: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

I wish I knew about this stuff when I owned my Subaru. Those fucking headlights were so clouded and yellowed that it probably only putting out 50% of the light from the bulbs.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:51 AM
anthony@ddnmobile

yeah, and even buying a couple sets of things needed in the application process above, and its still less than getting replacement lights.

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
headlights , restore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode