valve cleaning/maintenence/ Media walnut blasting - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By mattnconroy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
mattnconroy
Points: 387, Level: 7 Points: 387, Level: 7 Points: 387, Level: 7
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

valve cleaning/maintenence/ Media walnut blasting

Reading that the Direct inject turbo engines should have valves and inlets cleaned, especially if your heavy with the throttle. How often or when should this be done? Will an oil catch can really help this problem? Are there other maintenence procedures to follow that aren't listed from the dealer to keep vehicle running at it peak performance?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated my vehicle has just hit over 100 k and driven on roads that would make great rally races. (gravel, bumpy windy)

Please respond, as I Love my car and want to treat her accordingly

Matthew
stegl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 12:59 PM
Road Trip
Gearhead
Points: 4,641, Level: 43 Points: 4,641, Level: 43 Points: 4,641, Level: 43
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

Garage
True that direct injection motors (and sorry I do not know whether yours is that), do result in significantly less underside cleaning of valve carbon deposits. Deposits in DI motors slowly build up over time on the underside of the valves and that many claim that periodic Seafoam and/or walnut shell cleaning helps remove those deposits. I know that Audi and some many other brands will sell you such "clean up" services (average pricing varies tremendously; some dealers will do this for $150). However, others dispute that such dealer cleaning is more than very marginally effective.

Have you noticed any diminished performance, for most agree that if there is significant underside valve carbon deposit build up, that that will reduce performance by a small to moderate amount?

The only other fact we know is that independent studies have confirmed that Top Tier gasoline does have extra additives that reduce those carbon build ups. In fact the latest AAA study showed that Top Tier gas reduces carbon valve build up by an average of 19%. (I only use Top Tier gas in my cars.)

Sorry I have not more definitely been able to answer your question, but if you are not feeling any diminished performance and such valve cleaning is not listed in your Owners Manual, you might not need to do anything at this time.

I am interested in soon reading others' posts below...

2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch: Soul Red Metallic with Black interior, manual: Premium Equipment pkg, customized OEM Appearance Pkg; iActivSense Pkg, add'l OEM options.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 02:34 PM
stegl
Points: 4,845, Level: 44 Points: 4,845, Level: 44 Points: 4,845, Level: 44
Activity: 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Intake valves

Road trip , wondering if you are referring in general to all direct injection motors or Skyactive direct injection motors . Similar but different. From what I understand one of the first to try direct injection was Oldsmobile back in the 80's and yes , then and since, there have been many others that have tried direct injection and some may still do. The problem was a fine oil mist that came thru the pvc valve creating deposits on the intake valves. What Mazda has done is created a reservoir between the equivalent Pvc valve and the intake manifold that separates out this fine oil mist and I believe drains back into the crankcase somehow either eliminating or drastically minimizing the problem. Any valve cleaning additives would have to be injected prior the intake valves . Will be interesting over time to see if this is really an issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to stegl For This Useful Post:
Road Trip (01-16-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 03:42 PM
Road Trip
Gearhead
Points: 4,641, Level: 43 Points: 4,641, Level: 43 Points: 4,641, Level: 43
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

Garage
Thanks @stegl . Learned from you post. Glad Mazda has a unique engineering to try and address this issue, for bluntly, solutions tried by others have not been a great success.

Hope Mazda's solution works perfectly!

2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch: Soul Red Metallic with Black interior, manual: Premium Equipment pkg, customized OEM Appearance Pkg; iActivSense Pkg, add'l OEM options.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
blasting , media , valve , walnut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode