Regress to progress, a tale of two builds - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By VoodooJef
  • 2 Post By VoodooJef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
VoodooJef
Points: 3,239, Level: 35 Points: 3,239, Level: 35 Points: 3,239, Level: 35
Activity: 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Regress to progress, a tale of two builds

The short version for those who aren`t familiar: Had a 2016 3, built it, tuned, bolted, literally a day away from putting cams in it when it was hit by an inattentive driver and totaled, and a mere 5 months after I bought it.

I now own a GenPu Speed 3 (the car I was actually shopping for when I got the other one). I`ve had it for two weeks. It had a CS intake and TIP when I got it. Since I picke dit up I`ve done wheels, springs, exhaust (test pipe and catback), new plugs, JBR RSB, and a JBR short shift plate. Today, I ordered the HPFP internals upgrade (had some indications they were already installed but as it turns out I just have a healthy stock pump), the AccessPort, and the JBR 3" intake. Having Stratified handle the tuning on this one, and I`m going to do a 93 tune with a methanol system, still very much on the fence about E85. Also going to put on a bigger and more effective aftermarket TMIC next month. I don`t have any problem with front mount intercoolers, but I`m going for sleeper status here.

The first goal it to hit somewhere around 325whp and hang out there while I`m formulating the next wave...little bit bigger turbo and 400whp. I know a lot of cats get crazy going for big numbers. My goal is to have 400hp on tap wherever and whenever I want and have it as reliable as can be. Having absolutely no idea what the performance numbers are now, I`ll say I`d be elated at getting a low 12 second 1/4 mile out of it, and get it out and have some twisty track fun, too.

So yeah, I rolled the clock back a few years and got an older car than I had. But I`m rollin` on leather interior (sic), WAY more power on tap, and the cool wooshy sound a spooling turbo makes. There are a few things I left off, like an HID conversion and LED tail lights/turn signals (getting rear ended by someone going 70mph while you`re sitting still makes one want to make the rear lights as bright as legally possible). I`ve got a little bit of paint TLC to do, as there are a few regular local car shows I`d like to attend once spring hits.

Thanks for those who were along for the last one, and here`s to those who will be for this one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:54 PM
da_jokker
Points: 4,416, Level: 42 Points: 4,416, Level: 42 Points: 4,416, Level: 42
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Congrats. ... you really made some killer lemonade brother!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
VoodooJef

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jokker View Post
Congrats. ... you really made some killer lemonade brother!

Took me a minute to catch the reference LOL. Thanks man, it`s just what needed to happen. This was just a car. It`s funny, the day I picked it up the sales guy said "Lucky you, you`re not financing so you don`t have to have full coverage". I gave it about 1.14 seconds of thought and said "yeah, it`s paid for. Even more reason to keep full coverage on it". And now I have full coverage on my Speed, again with no car payment. Stuff is stuff....replaceable. I walked away from the crash with little more than bumps and bruises, and *I* was the one who got to tell my son I had been in a crash. And now I get to start a new project
minsanity likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:02 AM
da_jokker
Points: 4,416, Level: 42 Points: 4,416, Level: 42 Points: 4,416, Level: 42
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooJef View Post
and *I* was the one who got to tell my son I had been in a crash.
Funny how the game changes when you have a LO.

I don't know how you gave up on all the tech though... but I know you were really shooting for the HP and now you have it!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
VoodooJef

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jokker View Post
Funny how the game changes when you have a LO.

I don't know how you gave up on all the tech though... but I know you were really shooting for the HP and now you have it!

Truthfully, the only thing I`m really missing is the blind spot monitor (and I do miss it!). Once I`ve got the Eonon head unit installed with the reverse camera this`ll basically a turbocharged version of my other one, with leather seats. And 2/3 the fuel economy LOL.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
VoodooJef

*not sure how this ended up in how-to, BTW*

I suppose I`ll be posting on this thread as my own personal build diary of sorts. The Gen2 platform isn`t new and there are plenty of them that have been modded to the gills, so it`s not like I`m doing anything pioneering here.

I`ve got it to about 300whp, and I figured it would be enough. It`s not. Don`t get me wrong, it`s enough to contend in most "stoplight grand prix", but that sense of "silly car, you have absolutely no idea what kind of whoop ass sits under this hood" just isn`t there. And for it, I`ll be strapping on about 50 more hp and a good 60ft/lbs of torque over the weekend. Bigger intake, intercooler, and E85 tune. More boost, a bit more timing, nice cool charge. Hopefully it`ll keep me placated until I can swing the bigger turbo and shoot for the 425hp mark. Much more than that and it`ll be time for rods and supplemental fuel (should be able to squirt enough methanol to do 450 without having to add a 5th injector). Doing 450 at the wheels, with the torque curve this engine makes....there won`t be a lot of cars on the streets that`ll hang, and I can get `er out on the long twisty track and really put my efforts to test.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
VoodooJef

All I can say at this point is "HOLY S**T". Bolted up the new intercooler and 3" intake today and got my first tune map for the E85 tune. 1st and 2nd gear are just there for comic relief. It`ll boil the tires in 3rd from cruising speed. And whatever Stratified did to the fuel/timing/boost map, it was awesome. Drivability is SO much better. Boost comes on much, much smoother. This is my stopping point until the big turbo in the spring. I`ll throw it on the dyno in a few weeks after we`ve had the chance to tweak the tune and see what she`s getting.
Tundrawolf42 and johnykalbo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
builds , progress , regress , tale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode