How-To Vent Pod/Mechanical Boost Gauge Install - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
myt_tuf1
2010 MS3
Points: 8,344, Level: 61 Points: 8,344, Level: 61 Points: 8,344, Level: 61
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

How-To Vent Pod/Mechanical Boost Gauge Install

This is for a Prosport Mechanical Boost Gauge.

What you'll need/what could come in handy:
-Extra wire
-Electrical tape
-Wire Strippers
-Phillips Screwdriver
-Mechanical hand
-Zip ties
-Heat gun/hair dryer
-Circuit test light
-Knife (to splice wires)

1. Take the stock defrost vent cover out: Just grab it and pull it out, you're not going to ruin a thing.

2. Take the whole center console out: Here's a link to a write up by JBarone for installing his shifter bushings, it goes over everything you need to do to take the center console apart. *With pics http://www.jamiesplanet.com/support/..._Install_3.pdf

3. Take the dash under the steering wheel off: Before you start pulling on the dash, you need to pop the hood release pull tab out of place in order to take the screw out behind it. You also need to take the fuse box cover off (the one inside the car), and there's another piece in the corner of the door jamb (just above the fuse box) that will also need to come out. *I didn't take it all the way off, i just got it out of place, and it was still kind of hanging under the steering wheel.

4. Take Battery and battery box: This is pretty self explanatory, there's really nothing too it; the hardest part was un-clipping all the wiring harnesses. *You may need to take your air box out too, to make taking the battery box out easier.

5. Drill hole in defrost vent: I used a dremmel, and I made the hole just big enough that the tube and the 4 wires to the gauge could fit through. *There's no specific spot to drill, just somewhere in the vent, and if you don't want the wires to show too much, try to drill further into the vent.

6. Find a way through the firewall: If you follow the hood release cable from the inside of the car, you will come upon a rubber grommet that's in the firewall, allowing the hood release cable to pass through. Pull that grommet out of the firewall towards you, and it leaves enough space to get into the engine compartment.

7. Tubing and wiring: For the Prosport mechanical gauge there are 4 wires that need to be wired. Pass those through the hole in the vent and reach up from under the to grab them and pull them down. *A mechanical arm could really be of great use here. The headlight wire I ran into the engine compartment, through the hole in the firewall I made, and attached it straight to the headlight fuse in fuse block (so the gauge turns amber when I turn the lights on). The ground wire I wired straight to the body of the car; I used a bolt that's close to the door jamb (kinda underneath and to the left of the interior fuse block). The wire called "12V accessory power" (as per Prosport's instructions), I wired to the 12V outlet underneath the A/C button (I just spliced into that hot wire and taped it up). the last wire, "Accessory power on" (as per Prosport's instructions) needs to be wired to something that's constantly drawing a current; so I spliced it into the hot wire that goes to the 12V cell phone charger thingy that's in the armrest. Lastly, the tubing, you need to run that through the hole in the vent, and through the hole in the firewall. *Once again, that mechanical arm could really come in handy here. Once you have the tubing through the firewall, you need to cut the skinny tube going to your BPV/BOV, and insert the "T-fitting" into it, and have the tube going to your gauge going to the bottom part of the "T-fitting" (to tube coming from the gauge man need to be heated up in order for the end of it to fit onto the "T-fitting"), zip tie or clamp the ends of the tubes to prevent them from coming off the "T-fitting", as seen in the picture here:

Once that's complete, you are now done, put everything back together, make all your wire taps are taped up well, hook your battery back up, and make sure your gauge lighting is working properly when you turn the ACC on, and when you turn your headlights on.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask any questions you may have. Enjoy!

(To get a defrost vent pod, you need to get a hold of "blockh3ead" on M3F... He's also on MSF under the name: "GhostSpeed". He uses a stock vent, and molds a plastic cup into the vent... It looks very nice, and he makes it in different sizes for different sized gauges...)

2010 MS3 (Black)|DDM 6000K|Rally Armor Flaps|Turbosmart BPV|Prosport Mech Boost Gauge|Jbarone SSP/Bushings|CS SRI/TIP/RSB/RP/CBE/Tow Plate|H&R Springs|Koni Yellow|ETS 3.25 TMIC|Cobb AP|Denso ITV22|TS RMM|SPC Camber Links|Enkie RPF1 17x9 +45 w/Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 235/45-17|SURE IM/TB TIG|Hella Supertones

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by myt_tuf1; 10-08-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
myt_tuf1
2010 MS3

Added some pics, let me know if there's any questions I can help out with if you're planning on doing this.

2010 MS3 (Black)|DDM 6000K|Rally Armor Flaps|Turbosmart BPV|Prosport Mech Boost Gauge|Jbarone SSP/Bushings|CS SRI/TIP/RSB/RP/CBE/Tow Plate|H&R Springs|Koni Yellow|ETS 3.25 TMIC|Cobb AP|Denso ITV22|TS RMM|SPC Camber Links|Enkie RPF1 17x9 +45 w/Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 235/45-17|SURE IM/TB TIG|Hella Supertones

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to myt_tuf1 For This Useful Post:
nosubstitute959 (06-29-2010)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 AM
MS3_kev
Points: 6,604, Level: 53 Points: 6,604, Level: 53 Points: 6,604, Level: 53

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to MS3_kev
Quote:
Originally Posted by myt_tuf1 View Post
Added some pics, let me know if there's any questions I can help out with if you're planning on doing this.
@ myt tuf1. nice write up and pics. I was wondering is your mounting cup from prosport as well? If so I was wondering how did you keep the guage in place because I dont see the base of the cup on the vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
myt_tuf1
2010 MS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS3_kev View Post
@ myt tuf1. nice write up and pics. I was wondering is your mounting cup from prosport as well? If so I was wondering how did you keep the guage in place because I dont see the base of the cup on the vent.
I got the vent pod from a guy that makes them on another forum, I believe I posted the forums and the guy's screenname in the OP, just send him a PM with the type of gauge you're looking to use, an the size of the gauge, he'll confirm that he has a pod that will fit the gauge, and you'll be g2g. All it is, is some kind of plastic cup molded to a stock defrost vent, the vent still functions normally, it looks professionally done (it's not some cheapo stuff just glued together), and I haven't had a problem or complaint about it since I got it.

The only thing you get with the gauge from Prosport, is the gauge, rubber tubing, T-fitting, the little black visor thing that comes out over the top of the gauge a little bit, instructions, and some mounting hardware (that you don't even use if you have the vent pod)

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 01:58 PM
MS3_kev
Points: 6,604, Level: 53 Points: 6,604, Level: 53 Points: 6,604, Level: 53

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to MS3_kev
Quote:
Originally Posted by myt_tuf1 View Post
I got the vent pod from a guy that makes them on another forum, I believe I posted the forums and the guy's screenname in the OP, just send him a PM with the type of gauge you're looking to use, an the size of the gauge, he'll confirm that he has a pod that will fit the gauge, and you'll be g2g. All it is, is some kind of plastic cup molded to a stock defrost vent, the vent still functions normally, it looks professionally done (it's not some cheapo stuff just glued together), and I haven't had a problem or complaint about it since I got it.

The only thing you get with the gauge from Prosport, is the gauge, rubber tubing, T-fitting, the little black visor thing that comes out over the top of the gauge a little bit, instructions, and some mounting hardware (that you don't even use if you have the vent pod)
that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks !
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
myt_tuf1
2010 MS3

You got it!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 04:29 PM
zabi143
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Activity: 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

I wired to the 12V outlet underneath the A/C button (I just spliced into that hot wire and taped it up). the last wire, "Accessory power on" (as per Prosport's instructions) needs to be wired to something that's constantly drawing a current; so I spliced it into the hot wire that goes to the 12V cell phone charger thingy that's in the armrest. Lastly, the tubing, you need to run that through the hole in the vent, and through the hole in the firewall. *Once again, that mechanical arm could really come in handy here

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 04:36 PM
xxdjdinot1989xx
Points: 2,402, Level: 29 Points: 2,402, Level: 29 Points: 2,402, Level: 29

sorry to be off subject but whats that on ur steering wheel..?

2011 MZ3 Sport-(black out emblems)(ddm 35w 4500k hid's)(axela emblem)(osram sylvania bulbs fog lights)(yellow fog lights tint)(interior blue tints)(custom license plate bracket)(3inch antenna)(window visors)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 04:20 PM
bigriver
Points: 246, Level: 4 Points: 246, Level: 4 Points: 246, Level: 4
Activity: 54%
Activity: 54% Activity: 54% Activity: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdjdinot1989xx View Post
sorry to be off subject but whats that on ur steering wheel..?
its a spinner knob. Steering Wheel Spinner Knob

Great writeup!!

2012 MS3, black mica w/tech pkg, cpe nano intake, cpe TIP, JBR 88 trilogy mount package, Autotech internals, Cobb AP (Stage 2 ots), CS race pipe; 2011 CX9 dolphin gray; 2011 M2
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Undefeated1975
Points: 496, Level: 9 Points: 496, Level: 9 Points: 496, Level: 9
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Talking Pics

Hello name is Anthony , I just wanted to ask if you totally had any pics of the vocation for the wiring install. I have the same car and same boost gauge. I understand the the perfectly great and detail description that you had wrote but just unsure of myself on the wiring , If ya had any pics that would be great my email is tonytonytony1975@yahoo.com thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
boost , gauge , howto , install , pod or mechanical , vent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode