2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom Supercharger on a skyactiv

76K views 93 replies 29 participants last post by  arathol 
#1 · (Edited)
Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you the very first (I believe) boosted skyactiv-g using the Phantom Supercharger! (Note: I have a 2012 iTouring 2.0L) @Robftss @Wild Weasel

I just got finished installing about an hour ago. Not the prettiest of installs but I could have done worse. After a few snags that slowed me down I had everything I needed. First of fitting the filter with the turbine in the small space of the skyactiv was retarded. This engine bay needs more space!

I just sent my first log to OV who is tuning me so he can work on the base map. I did 2k rpm for about 3 seconds, then 3k rpms for about 5 seconds. I'm going to keep my initial thoughts to myself until my base map is created and I can really open her up while being safe, but I can tell you it sounds awesome when it gets spun up.

Here are some pics. Please ignore my dirty ass car.

*Edit*
So I'm getting a lot of "why tune an economy car" "why didn't you get a faster car" "why waste your money on this"

Here is the bottom line. I bought this car with my own money, I did not have the means to finance a "faster" car. Before I got this one, I did a lot of research and a few test drives. In all honesty I bought this one mainly because if the mpg and after test driving because of the combo of that and how it drive compared to others. I also realized that this engine is the future of mazda, and it was looking bright. It wasn't until I contacted Mat about tuning that we both realized that the stock tune on these cars left a lot of power out. There is much more hidden in the ECU than one would think. After a lot of testing we worked it all out. Then I contacted him about this supercharger. I did the research, talked to people, and decided to go for it. To be the first boosted skyactiv. While the idea of being first is awesome, and the fact that my 2900lb daily driver could be over 200hp thrilled me; I realized it's not just that. Everyone says, oh you can't boost that engine, it can't be done.

Well now it is done, it's being driven daily, and it works. The future is open now. If you still want to be close minded, then you should just move on and ignore this while the rest enjoy success.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
For those of you wanting to know if it actually works, I can already tell you that yes, it definitely does!

#5 ·
Can't wait for more pics, dyno results and a video. If you can get the engine to hold at least 5psi reliably it'll be a huge step forward.

Reactions: tastic
#6 ·
I'll see what I can do for a video tomorrow as I'm safely allowed to do bursts of boost above 2500 rpms. Still nothing long and sustained yet though as a busy weekend slows logging. We should have a good bit done in the coming week though.

What would you like to see picture wise? (Don't ask for cable management because it sucks right now lol)

Side note, I have to take a closer look at the voltage gauge as it's not showing anything, but the switch works perfect.

Purchase price was around 1500 and as for dyno, I will be doing stock v NA tune v boost tune sometime soon after finishing

#9 ·
Great to see someone is actually trying this!

What type of gains are you expecting from this type of supercharger? As I recall from its application on a brz, it mainly increases low end hp&torque but does not raise the top end much. Is this what you would expect in the skyactiv?

#10 ·
Mainly yes, but it may behave differently with the high compression of the skyactiv. We'll see!

Reactions: wongkc987
#13 ·
We are going very slowly with the tuning doing very short bursts of boost and then tuning it to make sure it's absolutely safe before I can really open it up.

Mainly want to see logs, AFR at top end and knock retard under boost. I know you and Mat are working hard already so I'll be happy with whatever you're willing to share. :)
I'll see what I can get for ya :)

#12 ·
Mainly want to see logs, AFR at top end and knock retard under boost. I know you and Mat are working hard already so I'll be happy with whatever you're willing to share. :)

#16 · (Edited)
This is on the third file, it's a 2500-5k rpm pull in 3rd

Attachments

#15 ·
5-6psi nothing too crazy

#18 ·
Would this wreck the transmission of an automatic?

#19 ·
Come on lol. He is probably the only SA with this kit right now, how can he know (and he's a manual)? I know of other boosted cars with auto's, it's hit and miss. Sometimes you just have to feel it out and decide what seems to be stressing the trans. Me, my trans is the same on the diesel which puts out 350+ lb tq so.. I'm not to worried.

#22 ·
Iv been following this on facebook as well. I really like the idea of how it works and the science is pretty darn sound. And I have no doubt the SA engine can take 5lbs of boost. Maby someday the price of this phantom kit will go down where I can justify it. for $1500 I can buy one hell of a project car lol. but i would love to have a little more umph in the sky.

#24 ·
nah but I can get a miata for $1500

#25 ·
Concerning the battery setup for the Phantom.....I think I remember that you need to swap one battery for a series of three smaller batteries. Why couldn't you install a second full-size battery, maybe in a remote area like the trunk/hatch, instead of squeezing 3 little ones in the battery box?

#26 ·
The three series consists of 2 combined into a 24v pack and a single 12v pack. They are designed to be drain abs recharged quickly, which a full size battery is not. (Idk the exact specs but I can look later)

Reactions: JWhite
#31 ·
you probably could fit a normal battery and your phantom batts up there with some modification. on my first gen which the bar is almost identical I ran a huge group 31 battery off a school bus under the hood.. for stereo purposes.

#32 ·
Just a quick update

We are currently waiting on Epifan (software) to define a new map for the skyactiv engine that will allow Mat to directly control the O2 sensor for AFR targeting (similar to the 2.5l) as the closed loop fuel maps aren't allowing correct adjustment to AFR during boost as they would just NA

#34 · (Edited)
It's a developer kit, but they all have the required equipment

#36 ·
Look back towards the beginning of the thread, I think I answered it there

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.