How do you shift fast? - 2004 to 2014 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
Mazda3Revolution.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 04:28 AM
Points: 760, Level: 14 Points: 760, Level: 14 Points: 760, Level: 14
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anubis is on a distinguished road
Default How do you shift fast?

Can you Guys post experiences between automatic and standard? What is the quick one?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2011, 08:16 AM
stupid teacha bitch!
Points: 15,895, Level: 81 Points: 15,895, Level: 81 Points: 15,895, Level: 81

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sp33dyGarcia is a name known to allSp33dyGarcia is a name known to allSp33dyGarcia is a name known to allSp33dyGarcia is a name known to allSp33dyGarcia is a name known to allSp33dyGarcia is a name known to all

Transmission wise? Depends used to be that manuals were always faster but nowadays some of the dual clutch automatics are faster I can't really comment on the nat 3 as I have never driven one standard nor auto I have a speed

Corny tune:321HP 394TQ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Car Fanatic
Points: 2,170, Level: 28 Points: 2,170, Level: 28 Points: 2,170, Level: 28

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Horrorscope is on a distinguished road

I think the standard is something along .3 seconds quicker, really, its doesnt make a difference unless you are buying it to be a track car, its all preference. I went with the manual because I wanted my second car to be a standard, as I never owned one before and I wanted to feel that connection and control over the car. It can be a pain in the ass in traffic but at the same time it is alot more fun and easier to maintain. Hope this helps
[DDM Tuning 6000k Low/PIAA High]
[Redline Goods Shiftboot Black w/Red Stitching]
[PC'd Stock Wheels Black w/Red Center Caps]
[JBR Solid Shifter Bushings]
[Blacked Emblems/Side Markers]
[Redline MT-90]
[15% Tint]
[Timing Advance]
[Parking Light Delete]
[Weathertech Floor Mats]
[Corksport LED`s]
[Corksport RMM Inserts]
Moddiction Anvil
Old 06-25-2011, 12:32 PM
M3R Staff
Points: 16,474, Level: 82 Points: 16,474, Level: 82 Points: 16,474, Level: 82
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
wingzero_ has much to be proud ofwingzero_ has much to be proud ofwingzero_ has much to be proud ofwingzero_ has much to be proud ofwingzero_ has much to be proud ofwingzero_ has much to be proud ofwingzero_ has much to be proud ofwingzero_ has much to be proud ofwingzero_ has much to be proud ofwingzero_ has much to be proud of

I test drove both 3s, the manual is faster once you are used to it. It just seems using the sportronic feature, it just seems like you are waiting for it to change gears. But like horrorscope said the manual is also a few fractions of a second quicker in a line as well.

Have something you want to sell on the forum? Abide by the rules.
Read them by clicking here
Old 06-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Points: 4,218, Level: 41 Points: 4,218, Level: 41 Points: 4,218, Level: 41

silvrMZhatch1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzero_ View Post
I test drove both 3s, the manual is faster once you are used to it. It just seems using the sportronic feature, it just seems like you are waiting for it to change gears. But like horrorscope said the manual is also a few fractions of a second quicker in a line as well.
If you're saying b/t the standard manual shifting and sportronic shifting then I'd assume standard manual... I've been messing with my sporttronic a lot recently cause I'd like to get into autox (should have got a manual) and like wingzero said, there is a decent delay from when you shift to when the car actually shifts. You can pull back to upshift and go up another 500 rpms before it shifts. And downshifting seems sluggish as well. But I've never owned a manual so I can't compare..
2011 Liquid Silver MZ3 Sport \ Enkei RP03 17x7+45 \ 15mm Ichiba Spacers \ Black Gorilla Lugs \ 30/20% Tint \ RM 1.25" \ Plasti-Dip Rear Valence \ DDM Yellow Fogs \ Lamin-X Yellow Fog Covers \ CS LED Kit \ OEM Bumper Guards \ DIY Front Mud Flaps
Old 06-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

GT10 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorscope View Post
I think the standard is something along .3 seconds quicker, really, its doesnt make a difference unless you are buying it to be a track car, its all preference. I went with the manual because I wanted my second car to be a standard, as I never owned one before and I wanted to feel that connection and control over the car. It can be a pain in the ass in traffic but at the same time it is alot more fun and easier to maintain. Hope this helps
The only fast shifting sportronic/clutchless manuals are dual clutch autos (i.e. VW's DSG). The manual is quicker because manuals have less drivetrain power loss than autos do, plus they weigh less. Manuals are also a lot more fun to drive... until you get stuck in a traffic jam (daily thing for me in SoCal).
Old 06-26-2011, 06:57 PM
College Zoom-Zoom
Points: 16,637, Level: 82 Points: 16,637, Level: 82 Points: 16,637, Level: 82
Activity: 55%
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Crespo is a splendid one to beholdCrespo is a splendid one to beholdCrespo is a splendid one to beholdCrespo is a splendid one to beholdCrespo is a splendid one to beholdCrespo is a splendid one to beholdCrespo is a splendid one to beholdCrespo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT10 View Post
The only fast shifting sportronic/clutchless manuals are dual clutch autos (i.e. VW's DSG). The manual is quicker because manuals have less drivetrain power loss than autos do, plus they weigh less. Manuals are also a lot more fun to drive... until you get stuck in a traffic jam (daily thing for me in SoCal).
Very true! The DSGs have two clutches so one is already ready with the next gear rather than having to switch from one to the other. Super complicated engineering behind it and that is the simple version. If you want to shift fast with the manual, you can do so by switching shifting fast enough where you don't have to rev match, ie. you shift fast enough from 2nd to 3rd so the timing is just right when you put it into 3rd and release the clutch. Smooth and you don't have to even think about the accelerator pedal until after the shift is complete.

^^^My build thread^^^
Click the picture, you know you wanna...

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/b...e-posting.html
Old 06-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Points: 760, Level: 14 Points: 760, Level: 14 Points: 760, Level: 14

Anubis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crespo View Post
Very true! The DSGs have two clutches so one is already ready with the next gear rather than having to switch from one to the other. Super complicated engineering behind it and that is the simple version. If you want to shift fast with the manual, you can do so by switching shifting fast enough where you don't have to rev match, ie. you shift fast enough from 2nd to 3rd so the timing is just right when you put it into 3rd and release the clutch. Smooth and you don't have to even think about the accelerator pedal until after the shift is complete.
Good tip bud. It's just crazy sometimes when you are taking a drag with someone driving DSG and less powerful car how he just run away fast than you. Just because I screwed up my shift from 1 to 2 (this clutch is not very precise in a Ms3) by the time I fix the problem the other guy is already taking a huge lead and laughing about me.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Kambo
Points: 5,661, Level: 48 Points: 5,661, Level: 48 Points: 5,661, Level: 48

Kambo will become famous soon enough

Buy a TWM full replacement shifter
// 5% tint all around // 8000k HID driving & 8000k HID Fogs //Corksport Performance Series exhaust (catback, no race pipe) // Corksport SRI // H&R Springs // ICW KAMIKAZE 18x7.5 +42 // Toyo Extensa 225/40/18 HP // XENON EXPERT mazda 3 pedals w/ Heel guard // Blue LED map lights //Corksport Eyelids // Custom rear spoiler // Hood damper kit // Kicker Speakers,Amps 10" CRV Sub,// Pioneer AVIC X920BT // MGP Caliper Covers Black W/Brushed Aluminum // Cobra XRS 9955 15 Band radar w/1" lcd //
Old 06-26-2011, 08:23 PM
College Zoom-Zoom
Points: 16,637, Level: 82 Points: 16,637, Level: 82 Points: 16,637, Level: 82
Activity: 55%
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Crespo is a splendid one to beholdCrespo is a splendid one to beholdCrespo is a splendid one to beholdCrespo is a splendid one to beholdCrespo is a splendid one to beholdCrespo is a splendid one to beholdCrespo is a splendid one to beholdCrespo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Good tip bud. It's just crazy sometimes when you are taking a drag with someone driving DSG and less powerful car how he just run away fast than you. Just because I screwed up my shift from 1 to 2 (this clutch is not very precise in a Ms3) by the time I fix the problem the other guy is already taking a huge lead and laughing about me.
Yeah, your right about making one mistake but manual is WAYYYYYYY more fun that automatic to me, even if it is a paddle shifter. Its just not the same feeling... You can fix most of the drive train slop with a stiffer RMM and also a short shift plate or full replacement with the TWM as Kambo said.

^^^My build thread^^^
Click the picture, you know you wanna...

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/b...e-posting.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fast, shift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2014 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.