What Did You Do To Your Mazda 3 Skyactiv Today? - Page 44 - 2004 to 2014 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
Mazda3Revolution.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #431 (permalink)  
Old 03-21-2013, 06:44 AM
Mazda3hatch13's Avatar
Mazda3hatch13 Mazda3hatch13 is offline
Senior Member
Points: 1,874, Level: 25
Points: 1,874, Level: 25 Points: 1,874, Level: 25 Points: 1,874, Level: 25
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 113
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mazda3hatch13 is on a distinguished road
Default

Sorry one more question for u.....did you remove tail lights to spray them or leave them on the car?
Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazda3hatch13 For This Useful Post:
GonnaGetMe1 (03-21-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #432 (permalink)  
Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 AM
black_itouring black_itouring is offline
Junior Member
Points: 1,791, Level: 24
Points: 1,791, Level: 24 Points: 1,791, Level: 24 Points: 1,791, Level: 24
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5
Thanks: 7
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
black_itouring is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaGetMe1 View Post
Any tips or tricks? Plan on the same install on my 2013 Sky Hatch. What Tire/wheel combo you runnin? Thanks in advance!!
@ GonnaGetMe1

Still running stock wheels/tires, probably going to push out the rear wheels with spacers pretty soon, before I get the alignment.

For tips, tricks, check out all the youtube videos you can find on Mazda 3 strut/spring replacement, and the tutorial at krystym's garage. Everything went pretty well except for actual removal/installation of the strut itself, which is a real pain. Knocking it out used small sledge and 2x4's to avoid metal on metal - it is really, really slow though, perhaps sledge on pipe (watch your fenders) or sledge directly on control arm (didn't want to do that).

Replacing the strut assembly was just as slow, jacking up the assembly with hydraulic floor jack into the wheel well with rubber mallet/sledge taps on the side while raising. Was much, much harder than I remember on my old '82 Scirocco many years ago and glad I had my son's help.

The look is great (they should really come from the factory like this) and I really don't notice any increased harshness on most bumps (my driving is mostly highway/interstate 70 miles/day). I'm glad that I did it, but not looking forward to any future strut changes.

Oh and on the strut changeout – lots of PB Blaster, ahead of time if possible. Don’t know if it really helped or not, but had good experience with it when I lifted my 2001 Cherokee. Even that was an easier job (or maybe I was just younger :-). New wheels and tires when I wear out the originals? We’ll see…
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to black_itouring For This Useful Post:
GonnaGetMe1 (03-21-2013)
  #433 (permalink)  
Old 03-21-2013, 10:29 AM
GonnaGetMe1's Avatar
GonnaGetMe1 GonnaGetMe1 is offline
GotMeOne
Points: 927, Level: 16
Points: 927, Level: 16 Points: 927, Level: 16 Points: 927, Level: 16
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Valley of the Sun
Posts: 15
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GonnaGetMe1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda3hatch13 View Post
Looks good!! I am going to tint my tails as well. I am trying decide between nite shades, rustoleum lens tint or vinyl film
Did you use clear over the nightshades?
I was in the same boat. Talked to the Tint guy at the dealership, who reccommended paint rather than film. Even was gonna give me the name of his guy. Thought i'd try it myself, as i have plenty of paint experience. Did the standard YouTube searches and settled on the Nightshades, with Duplicolor clear acrylic over. Pre-sanded the rears with 3000 grit, but recommend not. Comes out just a little cloudy. (not noticeable unless you are anal like me!) Ommitted this on the headlights, and I like it. Should be no aghesion problems on plastic, as long as you clean the well with alcohol or prep-wipes. 1 even coat on the front is just enough to give the tinted look without blocking too much light. Barely noticeable. 2 on the back is pretty dark. 4 coats clear, color sanded with 1000 then 3000 grit, and buffed out with Maguire's Ultimate Compound on a Mothers Powerball on cordless drill. Shined up nicely, looks great, even close up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #434 (permalink)  
Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 AM
GonnaGetMe1's Avatar
GonnaGetMe1 GonnaGetMe1 is offline
GotMeOne
Points: 927, Level: 16
Points: 927, Level: 16 Points: 927, Level: 16 Points: 927, Level: 16
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Valley of the Sun
Posts: 15
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GonnaGetMe1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda3hatch13 View Post
Sorry one more question for u.....did you remove tail lights to spray them or leave them on the car?
Thanks
Removed the rears, but just masked around the fronts. You might be able to mask the rears too, but they're 2 piece and easy to remove.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #435 (permalink)  
Old 03-21-2013, 10:46 AM
GonnaGetMe1's Avatar
GonnaGetMe1 GonnaGetMe1 is offline
GotMeOne
Points: 927, Level: 16
Points: 927, Level: 16 Points: 927, Level: 16 Points: 927, Level: 16
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Valley of the Sun
Posts: 15
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GonnaGetMe1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_itouring View Post
@ GonnaGetMe1

Still running stock wheels/tires, probably going to push out the rear wheels with spacers pretty soon, before I get the alignment.

For tips, tricks, check out all the youtube videos you can find on Mazda 3 strut/spring replacement, and the tutorial at krystym's garage. Everything went pretty well except for actual removal/installation of the strut itself, which is a real pain. Knocking it out used small sledge and 2x4's to avoid metal on metal - it is really, really slow though, perhaps sledge on pipe (watch your fenders) or sledge directly on control arm (didn't want to do that).

Replacing the strut assembly was just as slow, jacking up the assembly with hydraulic floor jack into the wheel well with rubber mallet/sledge taps on the side while raising. Was much, much harder than I remember on my old '82 Scirocco many years ago and glad I had my son's help.

The look is great (they should really come from the factory like this) and I really don't notice any increased harshness on most bumps (my driving is mostly highway/interstate 70 miles/day). I'm glad that I did it, but not looking forward to any future strut changes.

Oh and on the strut changeout – lots of PB Blaster, ahead of time if possible. Don’t know if it really helped or not, but had good experience with it when I lifted my 2001 Cherokee. Even that was an easier job (or maybe I was just younger :-). New wheels and tires when I wear out the originals? We’ll see…
Yeah....know what you mean about the younger thing. Still like doin my own stuff, but usually pay the price for a day or two!!
Maybe you could post a Pic or two of your lowered ride? Really want to put 18" wheels on, and don't really want to go "slammed", just need to smack some of the "cute" off this thing, and hopfully not mess up the ride in the process, so I appreciate your feed back on the ride.

So..., planning on springs, or coilovers, side skirts, and maybe front and rear lips. Like to get a better sound, but not too loud, and don't want to butcher the stock system or screw up the mileage. Any and all tips / recommendations appreciated. Thanks again, and post those pics!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #436 (permalink)  
Old 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM
dw8's Avatar
dw8 dw8 is offline
Junior Member
Points: 1,139, Level: 18
Points: 1,139, Level: 18 Points: 1,139, Level: 18 Points: 1,139, Level: 18
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sistersville, WV
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
dw8 is on a distinguished road
Default

Installed my DDM Tuning 5000K HID kit last night. Same kit I had in my Mazda 5. Love it!

__________________
2012 Mazda 3i Touring Skyactiv Liquid Silver
1995 Ford Probe GT

Last edited by dw8; 03-23-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dw8 For This Useful Post:
indyb6 (03-24-2013)
  #437 (permalink)  
Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 PM
indyb6's Avatar
indyb6 indyb6 is offline
Senior Member
Points: 2,220, Level: 28
Points: 2,220, Level: 28 Points: 2,220, Level: 28 Points: 2,220, Level: 28
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 193
Thanks: 35
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
indyb6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Did You Do To Your Mazda 3 Skyactiv Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8 View Post
Installed my DDM Tuning 5000K HID kit last night. Same kit I had in my Mazda 5. Love it!
Pictures or it didn't happen
__________________
'13 CWP Skyactiv Hatch 6MT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #438 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:01 PM
duvalmazda duvalmazda is offline
Member
Points: 1,975, Level: 26
Points: 1,975, Level: 26 Points: 1,975, Level: 26 Points: 1,975, Level: 26
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 89
Thanks: 33
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
duvalmazda is on a distinguished road
Default

Installed interior LEDs the other day. I don't know why I waited so long, I've had led license plate bulbs since I got the car. Also installed OEM visors from Mazda of Toronto yesterday
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #439 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:15 PM
black_itouring black_itouring is offline
Junior Member
Points: 1,791, Level: 24
Points: 1,791, Level: 24 Points: 1,791, Level: 24 Points: 1,791, Level: 24
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5
Thanks: 7
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
black_itouring is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaGetMe1 View Post
Yeah....know what you mean about the younger thing. Still like doin my own stuff, but usually pay the price for a day or two!!
Maybe you could post a Pic or two of your lowered ride? Really want to put 18" wheels on, and don't really want to go "slammed", just need to smack some of the "cute" off this thing, and hopfully not mess up the ride in the process, so I appreciate your feed back on the ride.

So..., planning on springs, or coilovers, side skirts, and maybe front and rear lips. Like to get a better sound, but not too loud, and don't want to butcher the stock system or screw up the mileage. Any and all tips / recommendations appreciated. Thanks again, and post those pics!
@GonnaGetMe1

Funny that you mention sound, I have been looking around at exhaust options but all seem pretty pricey. This is also why I chose springs over coilovers, didn't want to spend that much money right now. And I appreciate the MPG with my daily commute, don't want to mess that up. Regarding 18" wheels, I like the looks but worry that the lower sidewall will make for a much harder ride. My first effort may be to dip the stock wheels, but probably new (17") wheels at the first tire change. Almost forgot to add how much of a difference the rear sway bar made (mine is JBR) - corners like it's on rails now. Pic should be attached to this message if I did it right... Hope you enjoy your '13 Sky as much as I have my '12!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0671.JPG (802.2 KB, 28 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to black_itouring For This Useful Post:
GonnaGetMe1 (03-22-2013)
  #440 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:31 PM
GonnaGetMe1's Avatar
GonnaGetMe1 GonnaGetMe1 is offline
GotMeOne
Points: 927, Level: 16
Points: 927, Level: 16 Points: 927, Level: 16 Points: 927, Level: 16
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Valley of the Sun
Posts: 15
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GonnaGetMe1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Got the front cabin windows tinted to match the rear. 15% all around. Now, just need to drop the stance a little and do something about those Wheels!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (1.44 MB, 29 views)
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
mazda, skyactiv, today


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.6 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2 ©2009, Crawlability, Inc.