What Did You Do To Your Mazda 3 Skyactiv Today? - Page 44 - 2004 to 2014 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
Mazda3Revolution.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 06:44 AM
Points: 1,874, Level: 25 Points: 1,874, Level: 25 Points: 1,874, Level: 25
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mazda3hatch13 is on a distinguished road

Sorry one more question for u.....did you remove tail lights to spray them or leave them on the car?
Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazda3hatch13 For This Useful Post:
GonnaGetMe1 (03-21-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Points: 1,791, Level: 24 Points: 1,791, Level: 24 Points: 1,791, Level: 24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
black_itouring is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaGetMe1 View Post
Any tips or tricks? Plan on the same install on my 2013 Sky Hatch. What Tire/wheel combo you runnin? Thanks in advance!!
@ GonnaGetMe1

Still running stock wheels/tires, probably going to push out the rear wheels with spacers pretty soon, before I get the alignment.

For tips, tricks, check out all the youtube videos you can find on Mazda 3 strut/spring replacement, and the tutorial at krystym's garage. Everything went pretty well except for actual removal/installation of the strut itself, which is a real pain. Knocking it out used small sledge and 2x4's to avoid metal on metal - it is really, really slow though, perhaps sledge on pipe (watch your fenders) or sledge directly on control arm (didn't want to do that).

Replacing the strut assembly was just as slow, jacking up the assembly with hydraulic floor jack into the wheel well with rubber mallet/sledge taps on the side while raising. Was much, much harder than I remember on my old '82 Scirocco many years ago and glad I had my son's help.

The look is great (they should really come from the factory like this) and I really don't notice any increased harshness on most bumps (my driving is mostly highway/interstate 70 miles/day). I'm glad that I did it, but not looking forward to any future strut changes.

Oh and on the strut changeout – lots of PB Blaster, ahead of time if possible. Don’t know if it really helped or not, but had good experience with it when I lifted my 2001 Cherokee. Even that was an easier job (or maybe I was just younger :-). New wheels and tires when I wear out the originals? We’ll see…
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to black_itouring For This Useful Post:
GonnaGetMe1 (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 10:29 AM
GotMeOne
Points: 927, Level: 16 Points: 927, Level: 16 Points: 927, Level: 16

GonnaGetMe1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda3hatch13 View Post
Looks good!! I am going to tint my tails as well. I am trying decide between nite shades, rustoleum lens tint or vinyl film
Did you use clear over the nightshades?
I was in the same boat. Talked to the Tint guy at the dealership, who reccommended paint rather than film. Even was gonna give me the name of his guy. Thought i'd try it myself, as i have plenty of paint experience. Did the standard YouTube searches and settled on the Nightshades, with Duplicolor clear acrylic over. Pre-sanded the rears with 3000 grit, but recommend not. Comes out just a little cloudy. (not noticeable unless you are anal like me!) Ommitted this on the headlights, and I like it. Should be no aghesion problems on plastic, as long as you clean the well with alcohol or prep-wipes. 1 even coat on the front is just enough to give the tinted look without blocking too much light. Barely noticeable. 2 on the back is pretty dark. 4 coats clear, color sanded with 1000 then 3000 grit, and buffed out with Maguire's Ultimate Compound on a Mothers Powerball on cordless drill. Shined up nicely, looks great, even close up.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 AM
GotMeOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda3hatch13 View Post
Sorry one more question for u.....did you remove tail lights to spray them or leave them on the car?
Thanks
Removed the rears, but just masked around the fronts. You might be able to mask the rears too, but they're 2 piece and easy to remove.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:46 AM
GotMeOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_itouring View Post
@ GonnaGetMe1

Still running stock wheels/tires, probably going to push out the rear wheels with spacers pretty soon, before I get the alignment.

For tips, tricks, check out all the youtube videos you can find on Mazda 3 strut/spring replacement, and the tutorial at krystym's garage. Everything went pretty well except for actual removal/installation of the strut itself, which is a real pain. Knocking it out used small sledge and 2x4's to avoid metal on metal - it is really, really slow though, perhaps sledge on pipe (watch your fenders) or sledge directly on control arm (didn't want to do that).

Replacing the strut assembly was just as slow, jacking up the assembly with hydraulic floor jack into the wheel well with rubber mallet/sledge taps on the side while raising. Was much, much harder than I remember on my old '82 Scirocco many years ago and glad I had my son's help.

The look is great (they should really come from the factory like this) and I really don't notice any increased harshness on most bumps (my driving is mostly highway/interstate 70 miles/day). I'm glad that I did it, but not looking forward to any future strut changes.

Oh and on the strut changeout – lots of PB Blaster, ahead of time if possible. Don’t know if it really helped or not, but had good experience with it when I lifted my 2001 Cherokee. Even that was an easier job (or maybe I was just younger :-). New wheels and tires when I wear out the originals? We’ll see…
Yeah....know what you mean about the younger thing. Still like doin my own stuff, but usually pay the price for a day or two!!
Maybe you could post a Pic or two of your lowered ride? Really want to put 18" wheels on, and don't really want to go "slammed", just need to smack some of the "cute" off this thing, and hopfully not mess up the ride in the process, so I appreciate your feed back on the ride.

So..., planning on springs, or coilovers, side skirts, and maybe front and rear lips. Like to get a better sound, but not too loud, and don't want to butcher the stock system or screw up the mileage. Any and all tips / recommendations appreciated. Thanks again, and post those pics!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Points: 1,139, Level: 18 Points: 1,139, Level: 18 Points: 1,139, Level: 18

dw8 is on a distinguished road

Installed my DDM Tuning 5000K HID kit last night. Same kit I had in my Mazda 5. Love it!

Last edited by dw8; 03-23-2013 at 11:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dw8 For This Useful Post:
indyb6 (03-24-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Points: 2,220, Level: 28 Points: 2,220, Level: 28 Points: 2,220, Level: 28

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
indyb6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Did You Do To Your Mazda 3 Skyactiv Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8 View Post
Installed my DDM Tuning 5000K HID kit last night. Same kit I had in my Mazda 5. Love it!
Pictures or it didn't happen
Old 03-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Points: 1,975, Level: 26 Points: 1,975, Level: 26 Points: 1,975, Level: 26

duvalmazda is on a distinguished road

Installed interior LEDs the other day. I don't know why I waited so long, I've had led license plate bulbs since I got the car. Also installed OEM visors from Mazda of Toronto yesterday
Old 03-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Points: 1,791, Level: 24 Points: 1,791, Level: 24 Points: 1,791, Level: 24

black_itouring is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaGetMe1 View Post
Yeah....know what you mean about the younger thing. Still like doin my own stuff, but usually pay the price for a day or two!!
Maybe you could post a Pic or two of your lowered ride? Really want to put 18" wheels on, and don't really want to go "slammed", just need to smack some of the "cute" off this thing, and hopfully not mess up the ride in the process, so I appreciate your feed back on the ride.

So..., planning on springs, or coilovers, side skirts, and maybe front and rear lips. Like to get a better sound, but not too loud, and don't want to butcher the stock system or screw up the mileage. Any and all tips / recommendations appreciated. Thanks again, and post those pics!
@GonnaGetMe1

Funny that you mention sound, I have been looking around at exhaust options but all seem pretty pricey. This is also why I chose springs over coilovers, didn't want to spend that much money right now. And I appreciate the MPG with my daily commute, don't want to mess that up. Regarding 18" wheels, I like the looks but worry that the lower sidewall will make for a much harder ride. My first effort may be to dip the stock wheels, but probably new (17") wheels at the first tire change. Almost forgot to add how much of a difference the rear sway bar made (mine is JBR) - corners like it's on rails now. Pic should be attached to this message if I did it right... Hope you enjoy your '13 Sky as much as I have my '12!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0671.JPG (802.2 KB, 28 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to black_itouring For This Useful Post:
GonnaGetMe1 (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 01:31 PM
GotMeOne

Got the front cabin windows tinted to match the rear. 15% all around. Now, just need to drop the stance a little and do something about those Wheels!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (1.44 MB, 29 views)
Advertisement

Tags
mazda, skyactiv, today