Replacement Key Cheap? - Page 2 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 10:49 AM
bestmistake33
Points: 2,227, Level: 28 Points: 2,227, Level: 28 Points: 2,227, Level: 28
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

So let me tell you all about my experience and story with what i have now dubbed, "the key fiasco". I managed to lose the only key I had to my car on a trip to watch Notre Dame & Oklahoma play. It was a long day on a party bus and then planting my butt on a bleacher seat, and my keys somehow fell out of my pocket. My backup or "spare" key got lost in my move from Cincinnati to Indianapolis, so I was SOL!

My car (2011 Mazda 3 S Sport) was parked in a Meijer parking lot (where the part bus picked me up) under a light in a pretty safe area. I didn't realize I didn't have my keys until we got back to the parking lot Saturday night. After an exhaustive search of the party bus, I realized they were a goner. Since all Mazda dealerships are closed on Sunday in Indianapolis, I was SOL. My search for resolution began.

The dealership wanted to charge me up around $375 - $450 plus the cost of towing to cut me one new switchblade key with FOB!!! Needless to say I wasn't thrilled and new that there had to be a cheaper way. I started going round and round looking for locksmiths or anyone else who can help me.

I ran into a company called High Tech Locksmith (hightechlocksmith.com) who said they could do everything right there in the parking lot from their mobile van. I did some research and they were nationwide and a pretty reputable company. Great BBB reviews and local reviews were great too. I called the guy and he quoted me $160 for 2 basic (non switchblade - without keyless entry fob) keys. That was the price for programming, key cuts, keys, and everything out the door. At this point I had done my research and knew that in order for me to get anywhere, I needed 2 keys and the price seemed like the best I was going to get for price. I set the appointment for Tuesday afternoon.

The guy from High Tech Locksmith showed up and it was one of the most impressive and fascinating things that I have ever seen. First he was able to use the pillow and door hanger trick to get my door open. From there he checked my ID and my registration to make sure it was indeed my car. Next, he popped off a cover from the inside of my driver side door seal and unscrewed the housing that held my actual handle in place to the outside of the door. He then pulled my handle out of my door and on the inside of my door, sure enough, my 5 digit key code needed for cutting and stored in the Mazda database. He then went back into his van and typed this code in and within 2 minutes had 2 brand new keys cut that would lock and unlock my doors and also turn my ignition, but not start the car (programming was still needed). Next he pulled out a tablet looking device that had a cable and plug attached to it. He plugged the female end of the cable into a socket next to the kick panel on the driver side. Typed on the tablet, put the first key in, programmed it. Put the second key in, programmed it. Next thing I know he turns the ignition, and boom... MY CAR STARTED!!! He had everything cut, programmed, complete, put back together (remember he popped my door handle off), and good to go in less than 9 minutes!!! I was fascinated!

So now that my initial crisis was over, it was on to find a key fob so I could still utilize my keyless entry part of my car. On EBay I was able to find a switchblade key fob (like new - used) with a blank key blade for $39.99. I was skeptical of it because the dealer wanted to charge $290, but thought it was worth a $40 gamble. They key came in two days and the only way I could tell it was used was because the trunk release button was faded. I first decided I would try programming the keyless entry function to see if it would accept and unlock my doors. The programming steps were easily located via an internet search and I also listed them below:

Youíll need access to all the FOB units that you want to enable for the vehicle. Apparently you can only have three active FOBs at the same time, so donít try and program more than that.
~ Open the driver side door
~ Lock and then unlock the door using the button on the door. Leave the door open.
~ Insert a key into the ignition and turn the car to the ON position. Leave for about 2 or 3 seconds, then turn off. Repeat this two more times (3 in total). Leave the key in the slot in the OFF position.
~ Close the driverís door. Then open it. Then close it. Then open it. Then close it. Then open it.
~ The onboard computer will respond by locking and unlocking all the doors at this point. That means itís ready to accept FOB programming
~ Press a button on each FOB unit to program it to the computer.
~ When you are done programming FOBs, you can simply remove the key, which causes the computer to cycle the door locks once more.

I found that you need to do these steps in no more than 20-25 seconds for the sequence to be accepted and be able to be programmed. It took me 3-4 times to get it right, but by the time I did, it was obvious that I did it right (the lock cycling back and forth and everything).

At this point I had a working fob, but still had the plain old key blank. I wanted to avoid carrying both the switchblade fob with blank key and the basic key the locksmith cut me, so I was out to get my key blank cut. I set off for the Mazda dealership and got back to the parts counter. I told my sob story of what happened with my key and told the guy at the parts desk what I wanted to do, and he cut the key blank on the switchblade fob for free!! He did however tell me that I would have to pay for programming. Since I already had figured out the programming sequence, I told him it wouldn't be necessary but would appreciate the free cut. He did ask me if I had the key code, as its always better to cut off the code rather than just duplicate my key. I had wrote the key code down from where the locksmith popped my door handle off, so I was good to go. He cut my key and handed it to me and told me good luck with programming. I went out to my car and had my 2 "basic" transponder keys, so programming a third was going to be easy. I followed the steps listed below:

To allow a spare key to start the car, you need to start out with two working keys for the Mazda. This is security precaution to make sure someone with one key canít activate another one, for example, a valet who has the key. If you only have one key, youíre out of luck and will have to take the car to Mazda to have it done. In fact, many people recommend buying a spare key and doing this procedure so that you always have three working keys around (you only receive two when you buy the car). That way if you lose one, you still have the ability to do this procedure on your own.

Here is how you do it:
~ Insert the first working key into the key slot and turn the ignition to ON. Wait about 5 seconds, then remove the key.
~ Insert the second working key into the key slot and turn the ignition to ON. Wait about 5 seconds, then remove the key.
~ Insert your new/spare key into the key slot and turn the ignition to ON. Wait about 5 seconds, then turn to OFF. This should add that keyís information to the onboard computer and allow it to start the car.

After doing that (in the parking lot of the Mazda dealership), I was done. I now have 2 "basic" transponder keys that will manually lock/unlock my doors and start my car, and one switchblade fob with will keylessly lock/unlock my car and start it.
I was very confident in the procedure so I decided to buy another switchblade FOB online so I would have a spare and 4 working keys. I'm waiting for that to come in the mail. Once I have that, I will post a video that shows how to program both.

Overall, it was a $250 adventure for 2 basic keys and 2 fob keys all created from scratch. Not too bad considering what the dealership wanted to charge!!

Hope this helps!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bestmistake33 For This Useful Post:
joshb3 (10-07-2015), StancedMazda (11-09-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 11:00 AM
Texan
Common Sense
Points: 2,153, Level: 28 Points: 2,153, Level: 28 Points: 2,153, Level: 28
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

I would be interested to find out if anyone has any luck with this on an AKE (Advanced Keyless Entry) type of FOB. My understanding is that the AKE can not be self programmed (or nobody has tried it). It is not the 'switch' type. The internal key has a latch on it that can be removed from the FOB, to use to open the door and start the car if the FOB battery is dead. Different technology. Be nice if someone with an AKE FOB would try the instructions for older remotes and see if that works as well.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 11:05 AM
MrSoozy
Points: 17,088, Level: 83 Points: 17,088, Level: 83 Points: 17,088, Level: 83
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

i'll be getting a basic key over christmas break to try this out, getting a viper alarm installed soon so theres no need for the switch blade for anymore

Mods:Corksport SRI, Corksport Catback black emblems, BC Coilovers/swift springs, Racingbeat RSB Speed 3 front brakes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Mazdanew
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

New key

Can I get a key cut at a local store just to get into and out of the car? I know this will not allow the car to start, but at least I could get back in if I lock myself out.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Mazdanew
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Turns out the answer is yes, Since it only cost $1.78 I thought I would give it a try. Now I need to look into programming the key fob, but that is for another day.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 10:23 AM
mazda3togetready
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Keys2happiness

Bought a Mazda3 and it came with only 1 key (switchblade with FOB). Awesome. Thanks to all who posted, I was able to find a great automotive locksmith (quick key in Wheaton, IL) who was able to cut two standard keys (that start the engine) and one service key (entry only) for $129. I can always add another FOB later, but at least I don't have to sweat losing that one key!
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 01:41 AM
No one
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Activity: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwhacker View Post
YES you can program the car to accept another key.
Problem is you NEED two original or an extra programed key before you lost one.
You have one key then the dealer you have to go.
When I bought my Mazda 3 I immediately got another key fro eBay and had it cut at the dealer.
They stood there smirking since I'd told them I would be doing the programing.
I did it in their lot and it took five minutes.
There are two steps in the programing; first is to get the car to accept the key to start. After that is done second step is to get the car to accept the remote on the key.
The instructions are here and on the net on how to do it..
I have one key for a Mazda CX 9. I want to buy to buy two blank keys with key fobs off EBay. Will I have to have the key cut at a Mazda dealership, or can I go to a locksmith? I think I understand that since I only have one key, I have to go to the dealer. Not sure! Any help would be appreciated!
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:10 AM
fju2112
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
I would be interested to find out if anyone has any luck with this on an AKE (Advanced Keyless Entry) type of FOB. My understanding is that the AKE can not be self programmed (or nobody has tried it). It is not the 'switch' type. The internal key has a latch on it that can be removed from the FOB, to use to open the door and start the car if the FOB battery is dead. Different technology. Be nice if someone with an AKE FOB would try the instructions for older remotes and see if that works as well.
Me too - I have a 2014 (new key style, as you describe above) & I only have one working key after my son threw the other one in a fit just right so it shattered all over the place. Don't want to have to go to the dealer, I'm sure it's at least $250. It's a lease, so I'm either paying for a new key now or when I turn the car in.

Actually, that's not 100% accurate. My wife taped the key back together and it still *works*, but I won't use it for fear that it will fall apart while driving and not be able to get back home or something. If I have two "working" keys, is there a way to self-program and get a key cut for the new-style keyless-go fobs?
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 04:23 PM
geeboss
Points: 4,830, Level: 44 Points: 4,830, Level: 44 Points: 4,830, Level: 44
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Went to eBay to get a basic key with transponder in it for my 2011 3S. Took the key with my 2 flip keys to Ace hardware to cut the key. The guy said it would be $25 to cut the key....and I thought the dealership couldn't be that much to cut a key.I thanked the man and drove 1/4 mile and asked the parts man about cutting a blank key and was told that the key needed to be programed to start the car. Asked how much to just cut the key an he said $8 take 5 minutes. He came back with the key I started to hand him a $10 and he said no charge but cautioned me not to try and start the car with the key. Said it would shut the car down. Went out to my car and followed the instructions here and in less than 2 minutes my 3rd key was programed in the ecu and started the car. Many thanks for this useful information!
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 03:46 AM
daniesmith
Activity: 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Self program a car key isn't possible , You must have the key from the dealer but this cost you more. You can find the locksmith who can cut and program car keys as they charge much less amount as charged by the dealer.

Last edited by daniesmith; 01-21-2016 at 03:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cheap , key , replacement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode