2013 Skyactiv-2.0G 6sp problem shifting into R, 1st, 3rd, 5th - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
waltma70
Points: 1,665, Level: 23 Points: 1,665, Level: 23 Points: 1,665, Level: 23
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

2013 Skyactiv-2.0G 6sp problem shifting into R, 1st, 3rd, 5th

I was wondering if anyone has ran into this same issue before as it appears to be a design problem with the G66M-R shifter cable sleeve:

The problem began yesterday when I noticed trouble shifting into 1st gear at an intersection when the light turned green. After a few tries, the car eventually went into gear and I started to accelerate. When I went for 3rd gear, I noticed something didn't feel right. It turned out the reverse, 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears felt mushy - and were having trouble engaging. I could get them to engage if I forcefully shoved the shifter forward. Obviously this is quite annoying.

Fast forward to a few hours ago. I decided to pull apart the battery box and airbox assembly to see what was going on. Here is what I found:

Edit: your forum's policy is preventing me from putting images into the post, so I have to paste links, below (NOTE: you will need to change "httttp" to" http") :
httttp://s1039.photobucket.com/user/waltma70/media/IMG_20170219_125313792_zps4zt1ei1n.jpg.html
httttp://s1039.photobucket.com/user/waltma70/media/IMG_20170219_124945703_zpseplwwoyb.jpg.html
httttp://s1039.photobucket.com/user/waltma70/media/IMG_20170219_124834304_zpscvfdwgot.jpg.html

Basically, the pictures show that the yellowish plastic sleeve for the inboard shifter cable has exploded. The 2 failure points appear to be at bulkhead just aft of the transmission, and at the interface with the linkage to the transmission. Very unfortunate.

It seems like the broken sleeve is causing cable to buckle, which is preventing the linkage from properly selecting these gears.

I was able to jury rig a work-around using zipties to suspend the cable. This appears to prevent the buckling, which allows me to hit the gears I need, but the shifter feel for R, 1, 3, & 5 is terrible. Here is a pic of the work-around:

httttp://s1039.photobucket.com/user/waltma70/media/IMG_20170219_141248207_zpseu4eeyiq.jpg.html

I'm guessing I will need to call Mazda tomorrow to see about them drop shipping me a shifter cable assembly.

Has anyone ever ran into this?

Thanks,

Walt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:29 PM
SirDuckferd
Points: 238, Level: 4 Points: 238, Level: 4 Points: 238, Level: 4
Activity: 85%
Activity: 85% Activity: 85% Activity: 85%

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

It definitely looks like you will need to contact Mazda for a new part. I assume they won't sell a slip-on sleeve repair kit, and a new cable assembly is going to be a few hundred? The sleeve looks like it disintegrated. I usually see bearing failures but never thought the retention sleeve would be problematic.

Did this problem occur rapidly for you? Did you notice shift quality degrade over a period of time or did the thing let go very suddenly?

Maybe what you can do in the interim is use a piece of steel tube around the same size, cut a channel into it, fit over the cable and then zip tie/tape it. Should get you through for a while (assuming you need to wait for parts delivery). Actually, if all else fails maybe you can use the remains of a BIC pen... I'm only partially kidding.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:52 PM
arathol
Points: 3,389, Level: 36 Points: 3,389, Level: 36 Points: 3,389, Level: 36
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

I believe this is what you want:

https://www.onlinemazdaparts.com/p/M...BFD146500.html

Mazda part #BFD1-46-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
waltma70

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDuckferd View Post
It definitely looks like you will need to contact Mazda for a new part. I assume they won't sell a slip-on sleeve repair kit, and a new cable assembly is going to be a few hundred? The sleeve looks like it disintegrated. I usually see bearing failures but never thought the retention sleeve would be problematic.

Did this problem occur rapidly for you? Did you notice shift quality degrade over a period of time or did the thing let go very suddenly?

Maybe what you can do in the interim is use a piece of steel tube around the same size, cut a channel into it, fit over the cable and then zip tie/tape it. Should get you through for a while (assuming you need to wait for parts delivery). Actually, if all else fails maybe you can use the remains of a BIC pen... I'm only partially kidding.

Yeah, I'll call them up tomorrow to get a price quote. Hopefully it's not too much.

This happened completely out of nowhere. I was driving along and the shifter felt the same as it did on the day I drove it off the lot new, then BOOM - mushy gearbox feel.

Using some kind of tube could potentially improve the feel and reliability over the ziptie traction device I made up. I'll keep that idea in mind. Hopefully, the parts show up this week so I don't have to worry about the zipties breaking. At least I still have functioning gears.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
waltma70

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathol View Post
I believe this is what you want:

Mazda part #BFD1-46-500

Sweet - thanks for the price estimate! That's about what I was expecting. I will confirm the part number with the dealership tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1st , 2013 , 3rd , 5th , 6sp , problem , shifting , skyactiv20g

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode