Need to replace struts - Page 2 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:51 PM
kms1990
Demon Spawn
Points: 4,451, Level: 42 Points: 4,451, Level: 42 Points: 4,451, Level: 42
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLee View Post
not to low so i think the eibach pro-kits will be just right based on the pics i've seen. Also the Koni STR.T with Eibach Pro-kits are eligible for $50 rebate right now whereas the one with H&R are not.

I think I'm going to get the Koni STR.T + Eibach Pro-kit.

What else do I need? I was told I should get new strut mounts/bearings

Do the Koni's need dust covers? should I reuse the ones from my stock struts/shocks or just purchase new ones?
if the set/kit you buy does not come with mounting plates buy new ones and use them, kyb, monroe any will work as its just a mount point and a plastic bearing for slight pivots, does not need to be anything super special. just get a name brand i would buy new dust covers as well, they are cheap and help extend the life of the strut/shock
HJLee likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Give into the Night"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:22 AM
mjs1190
Points: 3,572, Level: 37 Points: 3,572, Level: 37 Points: 3,572, Level: 37
Activity: 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I didn't need new strut mounts when I changed out to mine. You'll need the dust boots for sure from the OEM shocks; you may need the bump stops too but its been a while and can't remember if the shop used those or not.
HJLee likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:39 PM
kms1990
Demon Spawn
Points: 4,451, Level: 42 Points: 4,451, Level: 42 Points: 4,451, Level: 42
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Garage
If your changing the struts change the mounts, even if they are not worn out, they are cheap and much easier to replace when your already doing struts then have to take everything back off when one fails and have to get a complete new alignment as well again. If your going to do something do it right. Don't cheap out and skip replacing parts you are taking off that are a major component to the handling and steering of the car. if that bearing (its actually just plastic) breaks your strut could fall out, its rare for this to happen in a maintained car but it does, so like I said don't skip important parts. That mount takes a lot of weight and pressure especially in turns and its crucial it functions as needed every time. Im a fan of preventative repairs over reactive repairs. ask yourself, should I cheap out now and not replace this $30 part while doing $1000 worth of work, and save $30 now and risk having it break later on and having to spend $1000 or more again because it broke and messed more stuff up? or is it better to just spend a little more now, do a thorough job and have a known new and good part in the car that should last as long as these other parts I am changing?

I did cv axles on my 08 3 a few years back and you know what all was replaced while doing them, front pads and rotors, hub bearings where checked cv axles, tie rod ends and everything suspension that could be was greased. even though the tie rods where fine, the brakes had over 55% pad life left etc but they had to come off and I don't put used parts back on my car, once its off its replaced.

I did struts all the way around on my 03 protégé a long time ago as well it had struts, springs, mounts, control arms, tie rod ends, brakes changed all at the same time again because they had to come off or get out of the way and while I have the car apart might as well put new parts in, it needed the tie rod ends and control arms (it had 150k on the oem ones) but brakes where still good, but had to be moved and the car was already in the air wheels off, and it takes all of an extra 30 minutes to do brakes so I did them. preventative maintenance can go along way in the reliability, cost and longevity of your car ownership

its better to overspend now and get more done then needed then underspend and have a break down in the middle of the night, possibly get in accident and have to have your car towed or even worse plus extra repair bills, this goes for any repair not just struts, change pads? go ahead and change rotors they are cheap, right there and easy to do. change tie rod ends, check and replace the control arms and other suspension and steering components that are there as well, because things like the steering system and suspension all the components must work together in harmony and when one starts to fail the others do to.
HJLee and jegonzo3 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Give into the Night"

Last edited by kms1990; 04-17-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
replace , struts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode