2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Carpet vs. Rubber floor mats for your Mazda 3?

25K views 63 replies 34 participants last post by  gatoz 
#1 ·
Carpet vs. rubber, which do you prefer and why?

I prefer rubber and these are reasons why:

1. Easier to clean off dirt, dust, etc. (although I do check my feet every time before entering the car)

2. Handles the rainy/wet season much better...no damp carpet.

3. Looks sportier/nicer (subjective)

4. More foot feel/grip when driving.

Away goes my minty OEM carpet mats:

In with the OEM all weather mats:

Which do you prefer? Post up your set up!

See less See more
#4 ·
OEM Rubber mats, Why? They came on the car already installed and I just haven't changed them lol.
They do look better so I will be keeping them installed for now.
1. Nice, now you have me wanting the rear trunk mat.

2. Cool, so did you also get the carpet mats too? I should have told the salesman to throw in the all weather mats. I bought em today for $80 at the stealership I mean dealership...no regrets.

#6 ·
I like the '14s OEM all weather better than my '12 all weather

Reactions: jeremiah
#7 · (Edited)
the all weather mats and cargo tray completely finish the interior design of the car (IMO) the red accent of the 3 and design lines accentuate the details of the interior perfectly and add that little extra bit of 'coolness' to the car... I've purchased the weather tech mats before but the oem mats for this car just rock...

Attachments

#8 ·
I actually like having carpeted mats, they make the interior feel more cozy for some reason lol However, I am using the rubber mats right now and I like them, definitely a lot easier to clean. This is the first time I've ever gotten all weather floor mats :D

#13 ·
I've got Weathertech front and rear. With the amount of snow that gets tracked in my car, you'd be surprised at how much liquid I'd not absorbing into the floor of the car. It's easy to just pull the mats out and pour out the water after the snow has melted. I've had them before in other cars, and won't do without them ever.

#14 ·
Texas...rains some but little snow. Carpet for me except for the bed liner to keep groceries from sliding around.

#15 ·

Reactions: jeremiah
#22 ·
Sorry I hate to be "that guy" but am I the only one who finds it ridiculous that something as arbitrary and mundane as floor mats gets so much focus on this forum? I mean there are several threads within the 2014 section alone on freaking floor mats.

#27 ·
Lol, So much talk of floor mats! My 96 protégé has a thick rubber piece stitched into the base carpet in the drivers side floor, came that way stock I am assuming. Its kinda funny because it's still in really good condition but the carpet around it is in dire need of replacement.

Never had a new car, all of my cars have never had floor mats and the floors have always been a mess prior to me getting the car. I did buy some rubber ones for my Eclipse back in 05 because we were having some heavy winter weather and so much snow got in... I think over time the rubber matts look better but carpet matts for sure feel better. At least the cars I have been in, their rubber matts (when wet) my feet always slide and make noises (even when I have my combat boots on with super great traction) lol

#42 ·
I just ordered Husky Liners for the 3 today! They are a good middle of the road option between OEM and Weather Tech, both in price and function. I believe the OEM ones wins in appearance however I like how the Husky Liners are buckets that won't let any liquid fall out and they also completely cover the rear carpet area including the hump, which is a big plus if we ever go to the beach and get into the car with lots of sand. I got them at autoanything who had the best price I could find online.

#43 ·
The thought of someone getting into my car with lots of sand made me shudder. And of course I live just blocks from the beach, so it gets in there, regardless. Sigh.

Anyway, after reading through this thread, I am totally reconsidering not keeping the carpet mats. Now I have to decide between the smallish, but more stylish OEM mats vs the truck bed at your feet, that looks like you're in a truck, Husky mats vs. the very slick-looking but how much? :shocked: Weather techs. I hope my carpets hold up long enough for me to decide.

#45 ·
I am all for the rubber floor mats.

I tried going with the carpet for the first week, but couldn't take getting them dirty. Up in the North East, there's lots of salt and sand during the winter and the though of just mushing that stuff into the carpet made me cringe. I broke down after a week and bought the OEM Mazda3 mats. They look great in the car and now I don't have to worry about them.

I wish the OEM rear rubber mats went over the center hump though.

#47 ·
Installed the Weathertech digital mats front and back ; yesterday and sure look good. Sides come up higher and look like they will do a better job. Snapped onto OEM floor posts real nice. More money but then the car is not exactly cheap as well. Great protection.

#48 ·
I ended up ordering the OEM All-Weather Mats as well as the Cargo Liner online. Although they don't cover as much real estate as the Huskies or the Weather techs, they are probably more than enough for my needs: no kids (except the borrowed kind) or pets (well kitty in a carrier) and living in San Francisco, not too much rain and definitely no snow. Plus, the price was right; $150 for all on Mazda Wholesale Parts. Can't wait to get them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.