2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Anyone Moved Their Hatch's SkyActiv Badge Please'

15K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  stevenvillatoro 
#1 ·
I am going to do a lot of debadging on my hatch when it arrives next month. Considered having my body shop fill in all the "mounting holes" as @lowincash has really nicely done, but gagged at the $300 estimate from my body shop to do it (part of that cost being painting Soul Red Metallic so it is perfect -- as all their work is).

My current "plan B" is to remove the upper-center emblem, insert a black Evil M (already at my house), remove the Mazda letters and the "3", and then to move over the SkyActive badge to where the Mazda letters now are (to cover the mounting holes over -- after applying silicone or other "hole sealant"). Going to have the SkyActive badge painted Soul Red or black to better help it "disappear."

Has anyone done something like this please, and if so, would you please post a picture(s) of your SkyActive badge on that side of the car?

Thank you.

#3 · (Edited)
For those who missed the beautifully shaved hatch that @lowincash created, here it is. Unless I can get a better price later from my shop, I am wanting to do a "partially shaved" hatch (which is ironic since I have not personally shaved for over 50 years).

Attachments

#8 ·
Hey Road, Street Unit sells a black Skyactive badge, which may be option for you.
I have their front M, rear M and just the Mazda badges and the paint quality is less then stellar, I really wish I had the body shop that fixed my car paint the emblems.
Thanks @Matt22. As a result of your suggestion, I went to their web site, but they do not have picture of it. I will contact them and ask them to send me a picture, then post it here.

I am not married to the SkyActiv badge idea, but still in the "maybe" stage, trying to envision what it would look like.

#7 ·
My bad, I knew that, but was wrongly thinking of an earlier thread today ("From Russia With Love") about headlight eyebrows on @lowincash's car being an example to others.

Sorry @Loud3 for my "mis-attributation," for your car is a beauty!

#9 · (Edited)
Searching through one of our past "badge/emblem" threads, I just found this picture posted over three years ago by "Grumpy." Wish it was in a larger perspective, showing most/all of the rear, but it is a start.

No criticism, for each of us gets the right to create and love our own cars, but mine will not look like this (either the badge's color or it having a "3" next to the badge).

Hopefully the "streetunit" company will respond to my earlier request to them (again thanks to Mark 22 for that info), for a picture of their SkyActiv black badge.

Any other pictures anyone knows of?

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Progress, thanks to @Kennykid2002, I found on another older badge/emblem thread, two pictures of what the SkyActiv badge looks like matte black Plastidipped. Going to probably proceed on this line, though in a glossy black. Either from speedunit.com or buy one and have my body shop paint it at the same time they paint my fog light bezels and lower front grille that same Mazda Jet Black (41W).

At least that is my latest plan, but as you know with all modders, always reserve the right to change our thinking completely, including removing and replacing an already done mod LOL). Thanks all.

And to quote @Chazzy J, "it must look OEM." I think it will -- with all the rest of the identical black on the OEM rear roof spoiler, the lower OEM diffuser and a shiny black Evil M -- all on Soul Red.

#11 · (Edited)
After looking at another emblem/badge thread (we have at least six such threads for '14+ alone), thanks to @zombiejunkie, found a close-color-approximation of what we will be doing -- though we will not have the Mazda 3 letters/number; the SkyActiv will be gloss back and moved to where the Mazda 3 is located. And of course, some later "surprises."

I promise I will not post on this thread -- at least not today.

#13 ·
Funny, actually doubly funny and beyond that REALLY funny, as our kids are 42 and 39 years old. I am 70, my wife is 69, so no thanks for baby on board (except for our grandkids).

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks to @Matt22, I learned over two weeks ago about "streetunit" having the SKYACTIVE badge's painted. That day I went onto their site but no picture -- though I already had my antennae up because of Matt's comments about their poor painting. Nevertheless, I went to their site, sent them that very day a contact email, noting that since their site did not have a picture of it, would they please change their site, or send me a pic via a return email. Just today I heard back from them with the following.

So $35, plus $10.42 (cheapest shipping they offer), and their paint is not high quality. I think not, especially as this is not my chosen badge anyway. But as an option for other members..

Attachments

#19 ·
Since I got my car I always wanted to pull the skyactive badge and have the Mazda 3 and Mazda logo be body colour like my old Sunfire GT's branding. Always liked that about that car. Thought it was a slick detail.

#20 ·
I keep a clean car (not implying others do not), but as I live on a gravel road, that is a bitch. When dust gets inside the letters or the sharp inside-corners of the Mazda emblem, no California duster is going to get it out. And during the rainy season, it all turns to mud or dried mud, and not even a terrific wash mit gets the dirt out of between the letters, nor from the inside-corners Mazda emblem. That is why I am going to change the Mazda emblem to a black Evil M (three less sharp inside edges to clean), remove all the Mazda letters and the "3".

I am still hunting for my solution. As I mentioned above, if I just suck it up, spend several hundreds and do a total de-badge, hole-fill and re-paint. That is the only solution I am so far happy with -- well not happy with its cost. Plan B was rejected, as was Plan C (painting the SkyActiv badge black to match my black-n-red theme and covering the letter mounting holes).

Working on/looking for a plan "D."

#21 ·
I ordered an Axela badge to replace Mazda. Evil M and GT badge for the right side for symmetry. Another alternative would be a GT badge alone large enough to cover the Mazda holes. Will post when done, but the Axela badge is on a slow boat from Japan.....

#25 ·
#32 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.