HID install in new vehicle - voids warranty - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Slawek
Points: 237, Level: 4 Points: 237, Level: 4 Points: 237, Level: 4
Activity: 78%
Activity: 78% Activity: 78% Activity: 78%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

HID install in new vehicle - voids warranty

So I picked up a 2017 Mazda 3 and it comes with halogen headlights. I asked the dealer about installing HID headlights, and they told me that if I were to install them anyway, I could void my warranty on the headlights, bulbs and wiring to the headlights. Furthermore, Mazda could blame any electrical issues back to the HID's if they can trace it back somehow.

The question is, do I take the risk? I have installed HID's from The Retrofit Source (Prolightz here in Canada is their distributor), and it's painless to do. I paid extra for an extended warranty and so I'm trying to weigh the risk here.

2017 Mazda 3 GS Sedan MT (Soul Red)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 04:08 PM
jfong
Points: 2,484, Level: 30 Points: 2,484, Level: 30 Points: 2,484, Level: 30
Activity: 44%
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

HID installed properly from reputable installer should be ok. Or you can go the easier way with LED bulb replacement, sometimes they have the true white colour that the HID might be missing.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:26 PM
DMshadow
Points: 3,768, Level: 38 Points: 3,768, Level: 38 Points: 3,768, Level: 38
Activity: 50%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfong View Post
HID installed properly from reputable installer should be ok. Or you can go the easier way with LED bulb replacement, sometimes they have the true white colour that the HID might be missing.

Good 5000k-5500k HID bulbs should be pure white, LED bulbs from what I have seen in stock housings are no brighter just look white. Unless the housing is specifically designed for it or OEM like the 2017 tech package and other brands they won't be as good as expected. From what I have seen I wouldn't recommend swapping them for the same or lesser performance, only if they were better by a decent margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawek View Post
So I picked up a 2017 Mazda 3 and it comes with halogen headlights. I asked the dealer about installing HID headlights, and they told me that if I were to install them anyway, I could void my warranty on the headlights, bulbs and wiring to the headlights. Furthermore, Mazda could blame any electrical issues back to the HID's if they can trace it back somehow.

The question is, do I take the risk? I have installed HID's from The Retrofit Source (Prolightz here in Canada is their distributor), and it's painless to do. I paid extra for an extended warranty and so I'm trying to weigh the risk here.
As long as you have a quality HID setup you should be fine, and with the relay harness taking care of the power delivery your stock wiring will be fine. On mine the only thing my stock wiring does is tell the relay that the headlights should be on and controls high beams. A proper retrofit is commonly recommended for HID for the best results but stock projectors shouldn't suck too bad I may be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:42 PM
jfong
Points: 2,484, Level: 30 Points: 2,484, Level: 30 Points: 2,484, Level: 30
Activity: 44%
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMshadow View Post
Good 5000k-5500k HID bulbs should be pure white, LED bulbs from what I have seen in stock housings are no brighter just look white. Unless the housing is specifically designed for it or OEM like the 2017 tech package and other brands they won't be as good as expected. From what I have seen I wouldn't recommend swapping them for the same or lesser performance, only if they were better by a decent margin.

As long as you have a quality HID setup you should be fine, and with the relay harness taking care of the power delivery your stock wiring will be fine. On mine the only thing my stock wiring does is tell the relay that the headlights should be on and controls high beams. A proper retrofit is commonly recommended for HID for the best results but stock projectors shouldn't suck too bad I may be wrong.
I'm using 5500K HID in my stock HID housing and sometimes it doesn't seem to be white enough. Compared to the other cars with factory LED lights. This is why I said LED replacement (the good quality ones that have ballast etc) since there's minimal rewiring required and it is plug and play. Do not get the LED that have light emitters all over the bulb. Something like the pic attached will do and they have more lumens than stock bulb but still doesn't scatter the light so much.

Moval likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:49 PM
DMshadow

Hmm interesting, these are mine @5500.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170314_064910_1492123730692.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	3.84 MB
ID:	201954  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Slawek

It's not a question of ability to install with confidence, as I said I am more than comfortable installing them and have previously installed this kit in my old car. I know what I'm doing. It's the struggle I'm dealing with: do I show the dealer that I have HID's installed, and potentially if I have issues in the future related to electrical, could they come back and say "sorry bud you voided your warranty when you went ahead with the HID install after we told you not to"

2017 Mazda 3 GS Sedan MT (Soul Red)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:34 PM
DMshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawek View Post
It's not a question of ability to install with confidence, as I said I am more than comfortable installing them and have previously installed this kit in my old car. I know what I'm doing. It's the struggle I'm dealing with: do I show the dealer that I have HID's installed, and potentially if I have issues in the future related to electrical, could they come back and say "sorry bud you voided your warranty when you went ahead with the HID install after we told you not to"
I don't doubt your ability to do so. With the way good HID kits are made, when installed properly they shouldn't kill the existing electrical system if they fail. I think it's a big if, and the only way they could void warranty as with any mods is they have to prove it was the cause and not before. Plenty of people running them on the newer vehicles here that have not had that hard of a time if any with dealers. Worst case is the fuses do their jobs imo since I have currently never heard of any catastrophic failure of HIDs.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Slawek

Has anyone received vehicle warnings or errors after installing an HID kit in their Mazda 3?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:04 AM
M3MX5M3
Points: 1,045, Level: 17 Points: 1,045, Level: 17 Points: 1,045, Level: 17
Activity: 71%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

I upgraded to LED's on my 2016 Sport model and a few weeks into owning the car and using my LEDS, there was moisture inside my headlight. I put my halogen bulb in when taking to dealer and they replaced the headlight with no questions asked. Then I put my LED's back in. I knew that the bulbs had nothing to do with the issue but knowing how dealers are about stuff, I made it easy on myself from the beginning. Its easy to mod a car with that in mind. Always think about ease of changing back to stock
Slawek likes this.

My AdventureMazda Youtube Channel Vids:

Mounting My Dipped Wheels -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Injen SRI Install -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 Dislikes -

Plasti(Flexi)Dipping In My Living Room - 16" Wheels -
-
Future Mod Plans -

Sport Model Upgrades -
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:47 PM
Stewie
Points: 284, Level: 5 Points: 284, Level: 5 Points: 284, Level: 5
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I did my own, installed HID took it to the dealer a few times for recall.

They didn't give any F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hid , install , vehicle , voids , warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode