Votes: 59 53.6%
  • Not so subtle (Post 2)

Votes: 51 46.4%

To black out emblems or to not black out emblems

Tags
black emblems
56K views 85 replies 56 participants last post by  kevingoodrum76 
#1 ·
So I want your opinion. I am thinking of blacking out the chrome on my Red GTs Hatch. What do you think? See attached pics for example.

Here is a more subtle approach:

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
I thought about blacking out the front on mine, but with the recessed area for the badge, I wasn't happy with how it looked. I have yet to do the Logo in the back, but did do the 3 and skyactive in black. but with a twist. I painted the skyactive text and swoosh red, left the technology black... I thought I had pic, but no dice. will try to remember to take one tomorrow.

#11 ·
I think blacking out the front chrome V thingy makes the car look more aggressive :D I wrapped mine and really like how it came out. I'm not a fan of blacking out badges but it looks good on red tho. I think you should do it but leave the front mazda emblem chrome for some contrast.

Here's my wrapped chrome up front

#15 ·
better yet, debadge it except for the Ms, then carbon fiber wrap them like I did

#18 ·
You know what I'm going to say, @lowincash. Blacking out the chrome makes the car look cheap, not aggressive. The more expensive the car (in general), the more chrome is used as an accent. Look at the CX-9 vs. the CX-5 and the sGT vs. the iSport. Look at Mercedes as they get more expensive. Yes, chrome makes the car look like it is driven by older dudes like me, but then in general, we're the ones with the money. Of course, you can go too far and then you have a pimpmobile. But if you don't have chrome spinners, chrome fender guards, and chrome pillars, you're not there. I guess I'm of the opinion that it is a waste of time and money to try and make an econobox look aggressive. I don't think you're fooling anyone. But if you really wanted an aggressive look, IMO, instead of dechroming the car, you'd take the tack of color0 or carbon going with big wide wheels, lowering the car to scrape the ground, fender flares, etc. In other words, real racing mods. You're still not fooling anyone, but at least on the race track those things are functional. (Watch out for speed bumps, however.)

#19 ·
Yeah I don't even care anymore :D Since I don't like chrome, I'll cover them up so I can enjoy my car the way I want. Don't really care what others think of it lol However, for those who likes the more aggressive look, awesome :D For those who think it looks cheap, oh well lol Like you said, it's an econobox, I'm not going to stick more chrome on it to make it look more upscale. It's not going to fool anyone. I do agree with you, higher trims having more chrome. That's why I didn't black out my window trim, but I'm not going to add more to it :D

#24 ·
In my mind, Mazda produced an almost perfect design with the Shinari concept. If this car were available, it would be the one I would buy. It became the Mazda 6 but something was lost in the translation. You'll notice the designers made it blue because that goes very well with the chrome accents. This was actually my inspiration for adding chrome accents around the windows and increasing the chrome in the front. It is absolutely stunning. I'm sure all you chrome haters don't like it.

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
It's all about personal taste. Some over-express their lust for chrome while others despise it for whatever reason. I'd go for good balance. No hater here. Chrome can go very well on certain colors like rvoll said, while blackout can look good on others.
On the front Mblem, I wouldn't black it out. The slight bulge it creates on the front hood will make it look like the M was stolen or lost. Had it been in the midsection of the grille, it might work, IMO.

#28 ·
I will be wrapping the front emblem and chrome around the grill in 3M Carbon Fiber Vinyl. I have a red evil M in the rear and I am gonna wrap that too come Spring. I have a Meteor Gray and think it will look great. I already have the carbon fiber on my pillars.

#29 ·
Left side original...right side carbon vinyl. Wrapping other things with it would look sweet.

Attachments

#37 ·
Don't paint anything. I plasti dipped all my chrome pieces and the rims on my car except the belt line trim. I am planning on replacing it with black trim. It makes the car look so much better plus it lasts. I did it back in May and it still looks great. Check out my pics-"blackout."

#39 ·
With the Deep Crystal Blue Mica, I think it's hard to complement. The chrome does look good, but I'm not a huge chrome fan in general, so I won't be adding more.

Meanwhile, blacking out the car doesn't look that great because it doesn't pop on the dark color like it would on Red or White.

Doing another color is tough because it's hard to find a subtle choice that complements the blue - basically to complement you have to go with a bright color, and I don't want to be too loud.

I'm thinking I might just leave the emblems, but wrap the rest of the chrome, as well as black plastic pieces (pillars, rear diffuser, fog surrounds, etc) in gloss black. Either way, I have until the spring to think about it, but I LOVE the deep crystal blue on it's own, but it's def hard to work with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.