Mildly Promising CarPlay Update - Page 20 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #191 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 03:45 PM
seanc81
Points: 7,627, Level: 58 Points: 7,627, Level: 58 Points: 7,627, Level: 58
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

No car play in 2017. Mazda stated they are re-launching the 2018 re-design in Q1 2017 (you'll see a bunch of other car manufactures do the same thing).
My source? Well, I wouldn't post this if I wasn't certain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 05:00 PM
JinZ
Points: 3,906, Level: 39 Points: 3,906, Level: 39 Points: 3,906, Level: 39
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc81 View Post
No car play in 2017. Mazda stated they are re-launching the 2018 re-design in Q1 2017 (you'll see a bunch of other car manufactures do the same thing).
screenshot or voice recording?

Mazda 2 | Scion iA | Toyota Yaris | 2016
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #193 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 04:28 PM
antair
Points: 1,135, Level: 18 Points: 1,135, Level: 18 Points: 1,135, Level: 18
Activity: 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Damn. No news at apple event.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #194 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 05:01 PM
huecobros
Points: 3,814, Level: 39 Points: 3,814, Level: 39 Points: 3,814, Level: 39
Activity: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc81 View Post
Considering the Chinese 2016 Mazda 6 model already comes with CarPlay i'd say you are full of it.
tarahumara likes this.
post #195 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:39 PM
mackworth
Points: 842, Level: 15 Points: 842, Level: 15 Points: 842, Level: 15
Activity: 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by huecobros View Post
Considering the Chinese 2016 Mazda 6 model already comes with CarPlay i'd say you are full of it.
Not sure anyone noticed, but according to this post the Chinese model has different hardware. Can anyone confirm?
post #196 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:39 PM
chan21160
DrivingDoc
Points: 2,203, Level: 28 Points: 2,203, Level: 28 Points: 2,203, Level: 28
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

I was just looking thru their website. If the Chinese really replace their hardware why doesn't the CX-4 they have, have the option for apple car play. thats what I want explained. right now it seems like CarPlay is available from Mazda but I think it has to be approved by their own region heads. The Chinese Mazda 6 doesn't have different hardware they have the same hardware that the 2017 Japan versions have. I saw a link for Bose 2 version, they have the upgraded high def display and everything else is the same. so I don't see where people are getting that there are different hardware. would love to see some documentation. Anyway that what I noticed from their website. if there is something I said wrong go ahead and explain.

CB
post #197 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:44 PM
southern_3
Points: 2,220, Level: 28 Points: 2,220, Level: 28 Points: 2,220, Level: 28
Activity: 45%
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
I'm going to guess you've never written a piece of code in your life, then?
I'm going to guess the professors' of the people who wrote the Mazda Connect code were lenient in terms of due dates, and content for that matter. The OS for the entire infotainment system is lacking in efficiency and there are virtually no [useful and in demand] apps available for the system lest some audio, vehicle info, and vehicle settings features which are all fewer than one would expect from a Linux based environment. If the folks at Apple or Android developed their software at the same rate that Mazda does, I don't believe either would have the kind of success and rapid adaptation from the public that they have. It's clear that rather than hire in house developers, or even competent developers, they outsourced the job, probably got a great deal, but we are the ones who currently suffer from the lack of features provided my Mazda's Infotainment system. There are worse things in the world, but if your job is to create something and you fail at doing it or are too slow, find another career. There's no excuse for our infotainment system being this far behind.

The code could be updated once a month in various portions for both optimization of existing content and continuous availability of new content, if Mazda were to provide the source code for the system we payed for (in compliance with the GPL regulations pertaining to the Linux kernel, among other blocks of code the system relies on to operate) so that talented developers could contribute to it. Imagine the type of amazing apps we'd already have. Can anyone give a good reason why in the final quarter of 2016 not one Mazda Infotainment system can run Android Auto or Apple Car Play even from the factory? Or why we can't view any sensor or performance data besides fuel economy on the system unless the system is hacked into? I don't understand it
R Junk US and f0x13 like this.

Last edited by southern_3; 09-07-2016 at 11:54 PM.
post #198 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 07:49 AM
cyberguijarro
Points: 911, Level: 16 Points: 911, Level: 16 Points: 911, Level: 16
Activity: 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

I'm with southern_3, and I've written a lot of code in my life. Some of it even for automotive products. The Mazda Connect system is ok and shows a lot of promise as a hardware platform. But the software has been clearly outsourced (I believe this proves it was to Visteon:
), and mazda just doesn't care about updating and upgrading it at all. A bugfix update every year? my cell phone gets a MAJOR feature upgrade every year and bugfix updates pretty much on a monthly basis...

The current features (bluetooth, USB playback, iPhone/iPod integration, Navigation) as they are implemented, make the system just barely acceptable for today's digital entertainment and support systems standards. Some of them are almost a joke, pretty useles IMHO, such as the fuel efficiency "app". Everything works fine during the 30-minute sales pitch, but as you drive more and more, the corner cutting starts showing up.

Speaking of apps, why make a platform supporting an app ecosystem, and then abandon it for years? just to be cool like the other kids in the market and have the "App" word somewhere in you product? Seriously, very immature.

Dear Mazda, you are not a software company, and you just don't care much about such things, and that's ok if you guys want it that way, but at least open up your platform for other vendors to either be a guest in your screen (Apple Carplay, Android Auto) or just fully open it up for anyone to develop and distribute apps. Stop being a dick, not admitting anything and taking the ball home all the time.
PHiLiPZ likes this.
post #199 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 08:03 AM
Corwin9s
Points: 2,633, Level: 31 Points: 2,633, Level: 31 Points: 2,633, Level: 31
Activity: 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Garage
hyia everyone. I guess that Mazda sell cars. Sadly not everyone is like us, walking around forums, taking updates and playing with his car and the infotainment. Most of people just see this as a simple tool. And this tool works at least for what it was designed : navigation, phone, etc... this are basic functions, with some bugs. But the huge major customers don't need more than that functions. It's all money related. I guess if someone can prove to Mazda that a new, flexible, more connected car will significantly rise the amount of new sold cars, we will get a new system very quick !

I know and I want having more and more tweaks, freedom for customizing my MZD (and my car). And I still hope we will have soon (erf...) some good news.

But sadly it seems that Mazda hasn't take that kind of turn.

post #200 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 05:15 PM
cyberguijarro
Points: 911, Level: 16 Points: 911, Level: 16 Points: 911, Level: 16
Activity: 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin9s View Post
It's all money related. I guess if someone can prove to Mazda that a new, flexible, more connected car will significantly rise the amount of new sold cars, we will get a new system very quick !
I think, and this is just an opinion, Mazda should have seen the writing on the wall long ago. Cars are becoming smart, just like cell phones and TV's have during the last years. Dumb cars just won't sell in a few years, just like dumb phones and TV's don't sell now.

And the worst part is, building an innovative, powerful and well-supported infotainment system, is many orders of magnitude cheaper than, say, developing a new engine or power train. It's becoming harder and harder to sell safety and comfort improvements due to diminishing returns in technological advances, whereas connectivity and digital services are still uncharted territory for mid-range cars and therefore great selling points for distantiating yourself from competitors.

I just don't see how Mazda puts so much effort and passion in building a car that feels like a BMW in terms of comfort, and drives even better, just to finish it with an average, barely supported onboard computer, all while Audi, VW and even Seat cars are getting red carpet treatment in this area.

As I've said, either do it right, or partner with Google and Apple so you can shift the burden on someone else.
southern_3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
carplay , mildly , promising , update

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode