Enabling the failsafe boot via script - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By enslen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
enslen
Points: 2,037, Level: 27 Points: 2,037, Level: 27 Points: 2,037, Level: 27
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Enabling the failsafe boot via script

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone has done this but I was curious if there was a way to enable the failsafe boot when you are booted into the main filesystem (root). I've seen the write-up on how to do it "physically", see here: forcing invocation of Mazda Connect failsafe mode. I figured this could be used as a nuclear option if you screw up your tweaks so badly that you can't figure out how to undo them. It really requires you to have the watchdog disabled which most of us have done already.

I was going to write a script for it but then I figured there might be a script on the CMU that already does it. After looking through the CMU files, I found a script called configure_flash.sh that is used for flashing the CMU from scratch. Buried in the script is a function called switch_ibc which is what I wanted. The function configures the boot-select block of the flash. Passing 1 sets normal boot (main filesystem) while 2 (or anything else) sets the block to boot from the failsafe. Booting into the failsafe will prompt for a USB containing an upgrade file, as shown in the write-up linked above. I modified the script to only set the failsafe boot. I have yet to test it (I kind of don't want to if I don't have to) but I am pretty confident that it will work. I am attaching the modified script and the original if anyone is interested.

EDIT: Doing a search AFTER I posted this (doh), I see there was a discussion about the script I used. They don't talk about it from the perspective of a nuclear option but the post contains a lot of great information about how the boot process works. Link here: The Infotainment Project
Attached Files
File Type: zip Nuclear Reset.zip (8.7 KB, 33 views)
Macrom and tarahumara like this.

Last edited by enslen; 02-17-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 02:07 AM
gxl78896610
Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21

very interested

I would like to know already in the start cycle of the CMU, how to start this script?
Of course, I will put this script in advance in the CMU.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gxl78896610; 02-18-2017 at 02:18 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 02:36 AM
gxl78896610
Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by enslen View Post
Hi all

If you can in the boot loop state
similar to the activation of NAVI+MUTE by failsafe,
run【enable_failsafe_boot.sh】 , it is perfect

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
boot , enabling , failsafe , script

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode