Mazda says Apple CarPlay support coming soon, including retroactive upgrades - Page 2 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:51 PM
JinZ
Points: 3,357, Level: 36 Points: 3,357, Level: 36 Points: 3,357, Level: 36
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hope Mazda also update my SOC to ryzen and give me AMOLED display and also make trump the world president.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Rnbarg
Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRaccoon View Post
I'm not sure how that solves the problem. My phone only has one USB port and it has to be plugged into the data port of the car for CarPlay to work. Am I missing something?
If the Mazda's two USB ports on the console are indeed underpowered to the extent that they cannot keep up w/the iPhone's power needs, that's a commentary on Mazda. It's called lack of attention to detail. How much would it actually cost to have robust USB ports that support modern devices?

Since you don't need BT, you could turn it off to save battery life. Also IOS 10 has a low power mode that you can enable for the iPhone once you hit 20% power left and IOS prompts you.

Re: wireless Aiplay, see "By all accounts, wireless CarPlay will only work in vehicles equipped with both CarPlay and in-car WiFi connectivity. So, those hoping for CarPlay over Bluetooth to ever be a thing are almost certainly out of luck. And, given the slow rate of replacement for automobiles, this means the overwhelming majority of CarPlay users will be stuck with a wired connection for years to come." Do recent Mazda models have in-car WIFI connectivity?
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:25 PM
ruggiex
Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1
Activity: 30%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnbarg View Post
Do recent Mazda models have in-car WIFI connectivity?
correct
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:57 PM
MechaBouncer
Points: 1,660, Level: 23 Points: 1,660, Level: 23 Points: 1,660, Level: 23
Activity: 55%
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggiex View Post
correct
However, it might be faulty. WiFi has been disabled in North America as the services that used it were cancelled. Some of us who have enabled WiFi on our cars have found that we cannot connect them to local hotspots because the units are heavily susceptible to electromagnetic interference. Mazda will replace the unit in other regions that still offer the WiFi services, however not all of us have that option. I'm hoping that if they do enable WiFi for Android Auto that they repair/replace faulty units as part of the upgrade (which will most likely be a purchased option).

2015 Mazda3i Touring Hatchback in Soul Red
Mazda Connect 59.00.441A-NA
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:19 PM
arathol
Points: 2,223, Level: 28 Points: 2,223, Level: 28 Points: 2,223, Level: 28

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

I seriously doubt that Mazda will be able to do a simple upgrade for older cars. There is a lot that needs to be changed and Mazda has maintained in the past that no practical upgrade path exists. All the hardware must meet Apple specs. Everything that would have access to the iPhone must have the required authentication hardware and codes.

From Apples iOS Security Guide:

Quote:
"An authentication IC ensures that only approved devices are granted full access to the device. If an accessory does not provide authentication, its access is limited to analog audio and a small subset of serial (UART) audio playback controls. AirPlay also utilizes the authentication IC to verify that receivers have been approved by Apple. AirPlay audio and CarPlay video streams utilize the MFi-SAP (Secure Association Protocol), which encrypts communication between the accessory and device using AES-128 in CTR mode. Ephemeral keys are exchanged using ECDH key exchange (Curve25519) and signed using the authentication ICís 1024-bit RSA key as part of the Station-to-Station (STS) protocol."
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:54 AM
ruggiex
Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1
Activity: 30%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathol View Post
I seriously doubt that Mazda will be able to do a simple upgrade for older cars. There is a lot that needs to be changed and Mazda has maintained in the past that no practical upgrade path exists. All the hardware must meet Apple specs. Everything that would have access to the iPhone must have the required authentication hardware and codes.

From Apples iOS Security Guide:
I'm not seeing how that complicate things that much. You can easily embed a chip like that in a cable/outlet. However, I don't expect them to retro-fit it for anything but the latest gen cars at most for business reasons.
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:12 AM
moses_lawn
Points: 3,037, Level: 33 Points: 3,037, Level: 33 Points: 3,037, Level: 33
Activity: 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Yeah, I'm fairly certain those are all necessary for the infotainment to view/control your music library, which is already installed on their vehicles. Maybe the 2015 Mazda6 since it's infotainment is different, but other than that these already exist within the vehicle.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:24 PM
Studum
Points: 3,331, Level: 35 Points: 3,331, Level: 35 Points: 3,331, Level: 35

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Garage
I'm willing to bet if there's hardware required to get it to work with the Mazda connect system it will either be a replacement of the current usb ports or an additional USB port kit of some kind - both to give an acceptable charge rate as well as provide apple's connection certification if it isn't already in the car.

Worst case scenario it'll be a cable kit for carplay connections.

Only time will tell though. Either way I've got a '17 3 and Mazda will get the $ for me to have android auto again.

I really wonder how long this will take to come to fruition though, if ever. Although I'm optimistic I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" crowd.
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:18 PM
mjschabow
Points: 1,926, Level: 26 Points: 1,926, Level: 26 Points: 1,926, Level: 26
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Has there been a consistent trend of time between announcement and implementation with other auto makers that could lead help us make assumptions of our timeline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:50 PM
arathol
Points: 2,223, Level: 28 Points: 2,223, Level: 28 Points: 2,223, Level: 28

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschabow View Post
Has there been a consistent trend of time between announcement and implementation with other auto makers that could lead help us make assumptions of our timeline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In case you haven't been following, Mazda has been announcing this for at least a couple years now. Don't hold your breath.

The other fly in the ointment is Mazdas affiliation with Toyota. Toyota is one of the last major manufacturers that refuses to assimilate. Whatever agreements or contracts Mazda has with Toyota may preclude Mazda from using Carplay.
I have heard that the most of the Apple software is there, hidden somewhere deep inside the infotainment systems coding. It lacks some crucial native libraries needed to make the connections possible. Its been said that attempting to activate said software will brick your system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
apple , carplay , coming , including , mazda , retroactive , support , upgrades

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode