Mazda says Apple CarPlay support coming soon, including retroactive upgrades - Page 3 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:54 PM
mjschabow
Points: 1,926, Level: 26 Points: 1,926, Level: 26 Points: 1,926, Level: 26
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathol View Post
In case you haven't been following, Mazda has been announcing this for at least a couple years now. Don't hold your breath.

The other fly in the ointment is Mazdas affiliation with Toyota. Toyota is one of the last major manufacturers that refuses to assimilate. Whatever agreements or contracts Mazda has with Toyota may preclude Mazda from using Carplay.

I have heard that the most of the Apple software is there, hidden somewhere deep inside the infotainment systems coding. It lacks some crucial native libraries needed to make the connections possible. Its been said that attempting to activate said software will brick your system.

Oh I've been following but I guess I had this feeling that this announcement was different, more official.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:57 PM
mosi76
Points: 1,917, Level: 26 Points: 1,917, Level: 26 Points: 1,917, Level: 26
Activity: 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschabow View Post
Oh I've been following but I guess I had this feeling that this announcement was different, more official.

This announcement is to my knowledge the first official announcement from a Mazda spokesman saying they are committed to bringing both AA and Car play to market. This is much different from what they were saying which was that it was being evaluated. Soon is a relative term but this at least gives me hope.

moses_lawn and mjschabow like this.
post #23 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:36 AM
arathol
Points: 3,306, Level: 35 Points: 3,306, Level: 35 Points: 3,306, Level: 35
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)

You are far more likely to see Android Auto than anything from Apple in the near future. Maybe a year or two but not anytime relatively soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:35 AM
RoboRaccoon
Points: 1,119, Level: 18 Points: 1,119, Level: 18 Points: 1,119, Level: 18
Activity: 40%
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%

Do you guys remember the post about the Mazda 6 in China having CarPlay? Was that real or did we get any information out of that?

I'm pretty deep into Google's Android ecosystem, but a win for Team Mazda with CarPlay is a win for me in my books.

Last edited by RoboRaccoon; 03-16-2017 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Typo
post #25 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:16 AM
moses_lawn
Points: 3,037, Level: 33 Points: 3,037, Level: 33 Points: 3,037, Level: 33
Activity: 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Odds are they will announce it with a new vehicle for promotion, then will have instructions and (an even more vague timeline) on when the update will be available for older cars, similar to how Hyundai trickled it out for older vehicles. They will release both at the same time, considering this is the current trend.
post #26 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:14 AM
Coopspeed
Points: 898, Level: 15 Points: 898, Level: 15 Points: 898, Level: 15
Activity: 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses_lawn View Post
Odds are they will announce it with a new vehicle for promotion, then will have instructions and (an even more vague timeline) on when the update will be available for older cars, similar to how Hyundai trickled it out for older vehicles. They will release both at the same time, considering this is the current trend.
I'm thinking it will be introduced for the 2018 cars. It will give them something major to rollout on an otherwise outdated car.
post #27 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:18 AM
eric307
Points: 445, Level: 8 Points: 445, Level: 8 Points: 445, Level: 8
Activity: 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Of course Mazda would announce Carplay and Auto after I trade in my car. Anyways I just got a BMW 328i xdrive with nav and paid the $300 for Carplay. To be honest I don't feel Carplay was everything I had hoped for. I feel Mazda Connect and more with iDrive perform most of Carplays functions. Siri Eyes Free in the BMW works pretty well. Apple maps might be the only advantage for Mazda Connect. For those with the Android Auto mod you're not missing much. Auto is a much better interface. But that's just my opinion and you might love Carplay. Maybe paying $300 for it and expecting the world ruined it for me. I shoulda gotten a Nintendo Switch instead.
post #28 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:21 AM
moses_lawn
Points: 3,037, Level: 33 Points: 3,037, Level: 33 Points: 3,037, Level: 33
Activity: 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric307 View Post
Of course Mazda would announce Carplay and Auto after I trade in my car. Anyways I just got a BMW 328i xdrive with nav and paid the $300 for Carplay. To be honest I don't feel Carplay was everything I had hoped for. I feel Mazda Connect and more with iDrive perform most of Carplays functions. Siri Eyes Free in the BMW works pretty well. Apple maps might be the only advantage for Mazda Connect. For those with the Android Auto mod you're not missing much. Auto is a much better interface. But that's just my opinion and you might love Carplay. Maybe paying $300 for it and expecting the world ruined it for me. I shoulda gotten a Nintendo Switch instead.
I feel ya, I think paying $300 would definitely ruin it for me. I've never owned BMW so I don't know the quality of their infotainment, though I imagine it is certainly no worse. Mine always has problems when trying to read from my iPhone so if CarPlay was available for free, I would be ecstatic. Otherwise I just listen to Sirius XM since the experience is so poor otherwise.
post #29 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:46 AM
eric307
Points: 445, Level: 8 Points: 445, Level: 8 Points: 445, Level: 8
Activity: 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses_lawn View Post
Quote:
I feel ya, I think paying $300 would definitely ruin it for me. I've never owned BMW so I don't know the quality of their infotainment, though I imagine it is certainly no worse. Mine always has problems when trying to read from my iPhone so if CarPlay was available for free, I would be ecstatic. Otherwise I just listen to Sirius XM since the experience is so poor otherwise.
Yea those $300 definitely weren't worth it in my opinion. I've never owned anything this nice before and decided to be a little daring. I think my old Mazda 6 was a nicer looking car on the outside though. Mazda Connect and idrive are almost similar except that BMW goes in deeper into car settings, has nicer icons and has 4G connectivity for live traffic. Idrive does work better with my iPhone then Mazda Connect did. But I miss my Mazda so when my wife's lease is up next year its probably going to be a CX-3 or M3 for her. Hopefully with Carplay and Android Auto.
post #30 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:49 PM
f0x13
Points: 1,091, Level: 17 Points: 1,091, Level: 17 Points: 1,091, Level: 17
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Quote:
Of course Mazda would announce Carplay and Auto after I trade in my car.
Yep and this might be the same situation as me, one year left of factory warranty, then it's gone.

Quote:
For those with the Android Auto mod you're not missing much.
Here i have to respectfully disagree. Nothing beats google maps with live traffic and constant updates. Soon to have waze integration. Asking android assistant questions for food/petrol detours, sports scores, weather updates, read out messages etc.

For its young age, it's well designed and only going to get better. And despite its young age, leaps ahead of Mazda connect already.

Truth is, i've been running AA via smartphone app since they launched it 6 months ago - haven't had a need to go back to Mzd system at all.
mosi76 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
apple , carplay , coming , including , mazda , retroactive , support , upgrades

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode