Mazda says Apple CarPlay support coming soon, including retroactive upgrades - Page 4 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:08 PM
rolanie3
Points: 4,191, Level: 41 Points: 4,191, Level: 41 Points: 4,191, Level: 41
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f0x13 View Post
Yep and this might be the same situation as me, one year left of factory warranty, then it's gone.

Here i have to respectfully disagree. Nothing beats google maps with live traffic and constant updates. Soon to have waze integration. Asking android assistant questions for food/petrol detours, sports scores, weather updates, read out messages etc.

For its young age, it's well designed and only going to get better. And despite its young age, leaps ahead of Mazda connect already.

Truth is, i've been running AA via smartphone app since they launched it 6 months ago - haven't had a need to go back to Mzd system at all.
I think he means those of us who are running a homebrew of Android Auto that lets us launch it from the Mazda Connect Apps menu, imitating what official support might be like. That way you get the whole interface on the Mazda screen instead of your phone. I'm using it now and I love it.

Honestly the only thing I want/expect from a official release is fewer bugs. But as it stands now, the community made Android Auto is totally usable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:08 PM
MechaBouncer
Points: 1,966, Level: 26 Points: 1,966, Level: 26 Points: 1,966, Level: 26
Activity: 94%
Activity: 94% Activity: 94% Activity: 94%

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathol View Post
In case you haven't been following, Mazda has been announcing this for at least a couple years now. Don't hold your breath.

The other fly in the ointment is Mazdas affiliation with Toyota. Toyota is one of the last major manufacturers that refuses to assimilate. Whatever agreements or contracts Mazda has with Toyota may preclude Mazda from using Carplay.
I have heard that the most of the Apple software is there, hidden somewhere deep inside the infotainment systems coding. It lacks some crucial native libraries needed to make the connections possible. Its been said that attempting to activate said software will brick your system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRaccoon View Post
Do you guys remember the post about the Mazda 6 in China having CarPlay? Was that real or did we get any information out of that?

I'm pretty deep into Google's Android ecosystem, but a win for Team Mazda with CarPlay is a win for me in my books.
My understanding is that China used different hardware for their system than the JCI/Visteon version used everywhere else. That was why it had CarPlay. Now if they ran unified code across them all for the same interface, that might explain why it would brick the system.

2015 Mazda3i Touring Hatchback in Soul Red
Mazda Connect 59.00.441A-NA
post #33 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:39 PM
eric307
Points: 445, Level: 8 Points: 445, Level: 8 Points: 445, Level: 8
Activity: 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolanie3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by f0x13 View Post
Yep and this might be the same situation as me, one year left of factory warranty, then it's gone.

Here i have to respectfully disagree. Nothing beats google maps with live traffic and constant updates. Soon to have waze integration. Asking android assistant questions for food/petrol detours, sports scores, weather updates, read out messages etc.

For its young age, it's well designed and only going to get better. And despite its young age, leaps ahead of Mazda connect already.

Truth is, i've been running AA via smartphone app since they launched it 6 months ago - haven't had a need to go back to Mzd system at all.
I think he means those of us who are running a homebrew of Android Auto that lets us launch it from the Mazda Connect Apps menu, imitating what official support might be like. That way you get the whole interface on the Mazda screen instead of your phone. I'm using it now and I love it.

Honestly the only thing I want/expect from a official release is fewer bugs. But as it stands now, the community made Android Auto is totally usable.
Yea that's what I meant. I probably worded it wrong. I'd rather have Android Auto's interface with Google assistant and Google maps instead of Carplay and Apple maps. Well at least it's official. Now we sit back and wait. And wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:21 PM
alej0
Points: 2,777, Level: 32 Points: 2,777, Level: 32 Points: 2,777, Level: 32

They are kidding us. Take a look at this (its from july'13, almost four f*cking years old)

New Mazda 3 future-proofs infotainment system

As for future-proofing, Umeshita admitted Mazda had little idea where smartphone and multimedia technology was headed, so decided it was best to make it as updatable as possible.

“In this new connectivity system we have two strong points. The first one is what we call modular hardware and updatable software, the second one is coverage of the smartphone application,” Umeshita said. “If you buy a car with a cutting edge connectivity system it may become outdated in five years, we don’t know. We wanted to avoid that situation as much as possible so we designed the hardware to be very flexible. We can attach many kinds of hardware afterwards. “Also, software is updatable, just like smartphones, through USB ports, [the] whole software can be rewritten”.

Updatable, yeah, sure... by customers who are building their own Android Auto releases for the Infotaiment. What a shame for Mazda.
post #35 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:20 PM
Studum
Points: 4,108, Level: 40 Points: 4,108, Level: 40 Points: 4,108, Level: 40
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Garage
^^^ I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make
post #36 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 04:25 PM
d3vi1
Points: 2,119, Level: 27 Points: 2,119, Level: 27 Points: 2,119, Level: 27
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaBouncer View Post
My understanding is that China used different hardware for their system than the JCI/Visteon version used everywhere else. That was why it had CarPlay. Now if they ran unified code across them all for the same interface, that might explain why it would brick the system.
Your understanding is wrong. The hardware might be marginally better (newer revision of chips or higher frequency or larger RAM chips or different wireless/bluetooth), but it still uses the same software as other chinese mazda cars equiped with CMU maybe with different partitioning of the eMMC flash chip. What is different is the interface to the display. That being said, there's a 90% chance that the Carplay application running on the CMU that runs on the chinese mazdas will also run on Mazdas with CMU from other regions eventually with a small hack (such as an AS-BUILT check that the binary does before-hand).

Don't confuse board revisions, with bootloader, flash variables, kernel or userland. The userland is 100% compatible between them. The kernel is probably identical, the bootloader is also probably identical. The flash variables might be different for different display output configurations.

I've also heard on these forums that CarPlay won't work because the current CMUs are lacking the authentication chip needed for communication. That is again untrue, because it's the same chip used for iPod Accessory Protocol that is already implemented in CMU. If you can play music from your iPhone via Lightning cable, you can also do CarPlay. If you want to implement your own, sign an NDA, go to mfi.apple.com and register and you get not only the technical specs for the protocol but also a sample implementation.

If you want to also do Wireless CarPlay, implement the Wireless Accessory Protocol (you have a complete implementation available at Apple that works with Linux) and you're all set, except that you're lacking Bluetooth Low Energy for service discovery.

Maybe you also want to do AirPlay for music instead of Bluetooth A2DP in case you make your car a wireless hotspot (see below). Sure, you have another excelent implementation available from Apple on mfi.apple.com.

Wireless hotspot: In firmware 33.something the networkmanager equivalent for CMU also supported 3G connections (from a very limited number of modems - a Nokia and a Huawei) and also had a hidden setting in the JCI XML files to enable it and to create a WiFi AP that shares that internet connection. Why they did nothing with that is beyond me. If they also added a remote start feature to the CMU, it would have been brilliant. It's sort of pointless now, because there are some 4G USB thumb sticks that act as routers for both the USB host (emulating an USB Ethernet connection) and via WiFi for the other devices.

My take: Mazda messed up the WiFi/Bluetooth shielding on most initial CMU cars and that hurt them big time. It's the scratchy sound that's happening during a bluetooth call. Replacing all of them is expensive for them. Since the customers don't have Wireless CarPlay or AA they don't feel the lack of a usable Wireless and they are hiding this under the rug, at least until warranty expires for the initial batches of cars (I have a 3 year manufacturer warranty over here).
post #37 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:18 PM
303uru
Points: 1,063, Level: 17 Points: 1,063, Level: 17 Points: 1,063, Level: 17
Activity: 55%
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRaccoon View Post
Yeah I'll believe it when I see it also. Will they also update the USB port to actually provide enough charge so that the phone isn't slowly discharging? It'd be a bummer if I can't continuously use it on a 12 road trip!
Is this a problem for others? I road trip all the time in my 6 and play games on my iPad or iPhone and they both charge while doing that.
post #38 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:32 AM
laca
Points: 2,061, Level: 27 Points: 2,061, Level: 27 Points: 2,061, Level: 27

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I got enought power to my Oneplus 3T through the built-in USB socket. May be it is just can provide 500mA but it can charge my phone if i use it with Waze (but very sloly of course).

But what if i bought a car charget that can provide 1.5A to the phone and use a Y USB cable? One leg to the charger and other leg to the car USB port? Because of it i can get more power to charge the phone and access the phone via the USB port data line. Or this setup can kill the built in usb port?
post #39 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:41 AM
skrubol
Points: 2,118, Level: 27 Points: 2,118, Level: 27 Points: 2,118, Level: 27

Depending upon how the Y adapter is built, yes it might be possible to damage the USB adapter. If it's just got the power lines from the 2 inputs tied together it's a risk. If it just uses the power from one and the signal from the other, or has diodes to keep from feeding back power it should be safe, but might not work.
Not sure if anyone has tried using a powered hub?
post #40 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:41 PM
mil
Points: 1,396, Level: 20 Points: 1,396, Level: 20 Points: 1,396, Level: 20
Activity: 67%
Activity: 67% Activity: 67% Activity: 67%

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
Depending upon how the Y adapter is built, yes it might be possible to damage the USB adapter. If it's just got the power lines from the 2 inputs tied together it's a risk. If it just uses the power from one and the signal from the other, or has diodes to keep from feeding back power it should be safe, but might not work.
Unfortunately Y adapters don't work with phones. They are for dumb devices only, like hard drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
Not sure if anyone has tried using a powered hub?
See my post here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
apple , carplay , coming , including , mazda , retroactive , support , upgrades

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode