2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

What is your primary infotainment screen?

• Music

Votes: 718 61.5%
  • Navigation

Votes: 249 21.3%
  • Communication/Contacts

Votes: 5 0.4%
  • Fuel economy app

Votes: 155 13.3%
  • Other apps

Votes: 14 1.2%
  • Something else

Votes: 28 2.4%

What is your primary infotainment screen?

49K views 100 replies 84 participants last post by  sailorbob 
#1 ·
For those who have the infotainment unit, I wonder what you keep on the screen most of the time while you drive. I've put the major options down. If you have something else up, what is it?

#2 ·
In the car I mostly listen to audiobooks using an MP3 player and the AUX input. Since the AUX input does not provide any information on the screen, I usually show the NAV (but with no destination, so it doesn't mess with the speakers).

Annoyances (I am on V27):

1. I have to suppress the NAV menu bar every time I start the car. System should remember this setting.

2. I would often select a destination, but do not like the lack of total muting (even on V31 this does not seem completely solved, it seems).

#7 ·
I usually turn the screen off unless I am using Nav or if I have a passenger in the car. I do wish that when you change radio stations, the station will appear at the top no matter what screen is on or off. It does this with Nav/Street names, it should do this for radio too.

#11 ·
Mine always boots back to the last screen I was on, either Nav or Music (v27). I'm on music 80%+ of the time though.

I listen to FM radio more now though. I would say:
40% - FM (NPR)
30% - FM (Music)
30% - Pandora & Stitcher

I never used to listen to FM music before, but now I can listen to HD radio I'm not irritated by the horrible audio quality anymore.

#13 ·
When I posted this question, I expected music as number 1 and nav as 2. I'm a bit surprised at the number of people who obsess about fuel economy, however. But this is an economy car with very good mpg so I probably shouldn't have been surprised.

#15 ·
You and I both...

#21 ·
So far it's mostly the music screen. But I use the fuel economy monitor more than I thought I would. I expect that novelty to wear off eventually. At times though it is a little like a new addictive video game. I get pissy when the bars drop and try to improve on the next increment. If nothing else it does have me paying attention a little more to my driving style. I’ve used the nav twice to actually go somewhere but I see no need to leave it up in everyday driving. Generally, I know what street I’m on and where I am. ;)

#23 ·
I usually leave the Nav screen on. The speed limit turning red in the corner of your eye while speeding is a good help when driving. I keep the instant MPG on the info part of the cluster and let the fuel app give me the summary once I've arrived and turn off the car. It's all so wonderfully intuitive.

#26 ·
Have I missed a hidden shortcut for turning off the infotainment screen? That seems to be missing for me, I'd rather an easy button for turning it off or dimming it. Now that we're going into winter with more dark driving I'm wishing for that option to be simpler than going through the setting screen.

Otherwise around home it's always the music screen. On a longer trip, probably still music if listening to Pandora. Enjoyed the non-nav compass screen from time to time.

Meanwhile on a long drive I'll probably also have Waze up on my phone.

#32 ·
How awesome would it be to be able to use the torque app and have that up and running. Real time car info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.