2nd Gen Skyactive in 2017? - Page 2 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:02 AM
Sideshow
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

hahahaha we should be friends - this how I drive my Mazda 3 bit of a lead foot going from an V-rod to Mazda 3 -2016 huge difference hahaha im contemplating putting in an turbo due to lack of pick up I feel sometimes its a rocket when I don't want it to be and when I need to take off its like meh...... foot flat to the floor and all I get meh... slowly getting up to speed - just frustrating really - good lazy car never missies a beat good for a cruse has the sub blaring yeah cool - skyline and S2000 cruse past laughing and your well then ... and all you get Meh but when granny in the fast lane doing 80 in a 110 zone and you pass her - no worries heads around going from 110 - 170 in 8-15 seconds no worries no even in sport mode - only issues I have really is the consistency of pick up when needed - flat foot or slow press down - is there a setting or something I can do to fix or stiffen up the peddle so it in sync ?

tell you what though excellent control and grip it has , I have hits turns hard thinking its going to roll nope hasn't happened yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 07:34 PM
zoomydu
Points: 561, Level: 11 Points: 561, Level: 11 Points: 561, Level: 11
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

The hubby and I are kind of intrigued by this, though most of the things I've read are hinting at this not being available until sometime in 2018...perhaps as a 2019 model.

We recently took back our Dieselgate Jetta Sportwagen and had been planning to purchase another 3 (my 3s hatchback is 11 years old and ideal to hand down to the 16 year old), but I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer 3.5 weeks ago, so we're putting any major purchases on hold until life settles down a bit. As long as we're waiting, we're sort of contemplating checking out the new technology. The fuel efficiency of the diesel sure was nice.

I'm curious if this new engine will become the standard. And, if so, will they still offer similar packages. I gotta have my manual.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:48 AM
MeteorGray
Points: 2,328, Level: 29 Points: 2,328, Level: 29 Points: 2,328, Level: 29
Activity: 80%
Activity: 80% Activity: 80% Activity: 80%

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I considered a VW diesel when I got my 2015, and I'm really happy I didn't now. I got my Mazda3 just before the Dieselgate cheating scandal hit VW. No way would I want to get caught in all that.

Although the diesel engine would have given me maybe 10% to 20% better mileage, I don't think think the advantage of diesel nowadays is as evident as in the past. The higher cost per gallon of diesel compared with regular gasoline, plus the added headaches of the diesel particulate filter, urea management and the threat of fuel pump and turbo malfunctions, make the diesel less attractive to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:25 PM
zero_gravity
Points: 2,468, Level: 30 Points: 2,468, Level: 30 Points: 2,468, Level: 30
Activity: 30%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
hahahaha we should be friends - this how I drive my Mazda 3 bit of a lead foot going from an V-rod to Mazda 3 -2016 huge difference hahaha im contemplating putting in an turbo due to lack of pick up I feel sometimes its a rocket when I don't want it to be and when I need to take off its like meh...... foot flat to the floor and all I get meh... slowly getting up to speed - just frustrating really - good lazy car never missies a beat good for a cruse has the sub blaring yeah cool - skyline and S2000 cruse past laughing and your well then ... and all you get Meh but when granny in the fast lane doing 80 in a 110 zone and you pass her - no worries heads around going from 110 - 170 in 8-15 seconds no worries no even in sport mode - only issues I have really is the consistency of pick up when needed - flat foot or slow press down - is there a setting or something I can do to fix or stiffen up the peddle so it in sync ?

tell you what though excellent control and grip it has , I have hits turns hard thinking its going to roll nope hasn't happened yet.
I can't speak to automatic since I have the manual, but this might help a little with some imagination

These engines make most of their torque in the high rpm range. I think it's around the 4500 range. Personally, if I'm on the highway and I want to get past something fast, I drop it from 6th to 4th.

They're great little commuter cars, but yeah a little gutless sometimes.

Also when the engine is cold the computer tweaks the idle. Makes the car 'jumpy' for a brief time. I really notice it on the clutch.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:33 AM
sc489
Points: 1,388, Level: 20 Points: 1,388, Level: 20 Points: 1,388, Level: 20
Activity: 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_gravity View Post
I can't speak to automatic since I have the manual, but this might help a little with some imagination

These engines make most of their torque in the high rpm range. I think it's around the 4500 range. Personally, if I'm on the highway and I want to get past something fast, I drop it from 6th to 4th.

They're great little commuter cars, but yeah a little gutless sometimes.

Also when the engine is cold the computer tweaks the idle. Makes the car 'jumpy' for a brief time. I really notice it on the clutch.
See this torque curve for the 2.0 petrol engine Horsepower/Torque Curve for 2017 Mazda 3 Sedan 2.0 SkyActiv-G 120 (model for Europe ). Detailed engine characteristics. You can peruse the site for other Mazda engines. I agree peak torque is at 4500 rpm. However, I regard useful torque as anything above 75% peak torque which means the 2.0 petrol engine has decent torque from about 1600rpm. I find it quite adequate to change gear around 2000rpm in normal driving. If your driving style is more manic then yes 4500rpm gives you peak torque.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:02 AM
Davidval18
Points: 4,550, Level: 42 Points: 4,550, Level: 42 Points: 4,550, Level: 42
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

These are interesting news, I would definitely like to see an upgraded and more efficient engine. But at the same time, I'm frank with myself, and I would like to see a more spirited engine variant too. So hopefully once they unveil their entire engine platform will see a punchier engine available too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2017 , 2nd , gen , skyactive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode