Mazda 3 2017 Road / Engine Noise - Page 10 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Rnbarg
Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc489 View Post
I started this thread as a potential Mazda 3 buyer. I'm now posting as a new owner of a facelift model Mazda 3 2.0 petrol sedan with Dunlop Sport Max TT tyres on 18" wheels. This is a UK model produced in Japan.

In terms of road noise, my opinion is that overall the car is relatively poor. The road noise is just about acceptable on a smooth road but it then degenerates quite markedly as soon as you drive on a rougher surface. I'm also surprised how loud raindrops falling on the roof and windscreen sound.

I dislike the unpleasant 'throaty' engine noise when starting the car in my garage. I understand this is due to Mazda's accelerated warm up but it makes the car sound more like a noisy diesel. The engine noise is acceptable once warmed up.

Mazda have clearly developed some clever technology to achieve good economy and handling. They now need to devote much more effort to improving overall noise levels and refinement. I have some other negative observations which I'll post at a later date once the car is properly run in. I don't think this car is going to be a long term keeper for me.
What is a "facelift model"? I'm surprised, after reading all the concerns voiced on this thread (there are others as well on this website) that you purchased the car. Caveat emptor I guess. I leased my car, a 2017 GT, about 3 weeks ago underestimating how I would feel about the road noise. I agree w/what you said about It. it's pronounced and envelops the cabin, like an amplifier of road noise. It has a raw feel.

I think that there is something to be said for an observation on another thread that Mazda's making the cabin itself more quiet on the 2017s to filter out wind noise, and creating such as elegant interior, (counterintuitively) magnifies the impact of the road noise. Having a hatchback vs a Mazda 3 sedan also probably contributes. I drove my car back from our airport here in SF about 15 miles to Oakland and the noise on most roads was really loud. It left me feeling numb. I don' have any issue w/engine noise or rain falling on the car roof.

I'm replacing my tires on Tuesday and will report back how much of a difference they make. They are about the quietest tires in this class. It's also obvious that noise is a subjective thing. It's clear that for many, it's not a big deal.

We have to take those at their word who don't feel the Mazda 3 suffers from road noise. Some concede the Mazda 3 does have a lot of road noise, but feel that is offset by its driving characteristics OR that "feeling the road" is not noise, but an integral part of the Mazda driving experience. Re: all of the latter, I'm not one of them. Stay tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 07:13 PM
Rnbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnbarg View Post

I'm replacing my tires on Tuesday and will report back how much of a difference they make. They are about the quietest tires in this class.
Stay tuned.
Not gonna happen anytime soon. Drunk driver smashed into my 2 week old 2017 Mazda 3 GT parked in front of my house. Towed to Geico Express Body Shop. Anything I should be concerned about in dealing w/the repairs.

It was hit and pushed 20 feet by a large SUV and also smashed into side of another SUV in front. So it also has damage on front driver's side (not shown) and front of hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0114.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	199170  

Last edited by Rnbarg; 03-12-2017 at 07:15 PM. Reason: left off info
post #93 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:14 PM
lemansbuilder
Points: 1,171, Level: 18 Points: 1,171, Level: 18 Points: 1,171, Level: 18
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Garage
So sorry to read about your unfortunate experience. I'm sure the repair shop of your choice will make it as good as new. Again , sorry for your damage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:41 PM
BrianU
Points: 2,975, Level: 33 Points: 2,975, Level: 33 Points: 2,975, Level: 33
Activity: 79%
Activity: 79% Activity: 79% Activity: 79%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Push to get it totaled at replacement cost. If not insist on genuine MAZDA replacement parts.

2016 Touring manual Deep Crystal Blue Mica/Sand leatherette

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35% 3M Ceramic film|OEM cargo tray, F&R splash guards|TPI C726445F Wheel Locks|Interior & BKup LEDs|iJDMTOY Fogs yellow Lamin-x & H9s Mazda stalk|H9 headlights
A119 dashcam w/GPS & Lexar microSDXC 633x 128GB|Polk Audio DB351s/100V 47uF caps in dash|DXI 651s rear doors|Kenwood KSC-SW11 subwoofer|Thermoquiet acoustic insulation
post #95 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:03 AM
Rnbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU View Post
Push to get it totaled at replacement cost. If not insist on genuine MAZDA replacement parts.
The initial estimate came in at 13-14K on a 2017 loaded Mazda 3 GT w/Iactive sense, a 28.8K list price. They still have to take the car apart to do a further assessment of internal damage. GEICO says the fair market value of the car is 25K, which is about what I paid for it (cap cost on the least). They will only total it when the repair reaches 80% of the FMV. My question is what is the real value of this car, assuming they made the repairs, so it's (in the adjuster's words) "like new". Someone who looked at a carfax report on this car - after its repaired, how much would they really pay given its history. To me that is the fair market value? Anyone have a guess? Because quite honestly w/a car only 2 weeks old, I would rather they total it. Any advice?

I posted pictures of the rear. Apparently the front of the car and the hood got pretty banged up. The car was pushed 20 feet into a large SUV.
post #96 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:41 AM
Brk4lambo
Points: 3,755, Level: 38 Points: 3,755, Level: 38 Points: 3,755, Level: 38
Activity: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studum View Post
Not an issue for me. I can't relate to pre-facelift but it's definitely a whole lot better than my '10 was. No complaints here.

Someone who comes from a higher end car or who regularly sits in higher end cars may have a different opinion, but this is an economy car after all - albeit a damn nice one.
I used to own a level higher and lower cars than Mz3 14/17. It doesn't look, feel, drive etc like an economy car. As a matter of fact $28k sGT fully loaded is above any economy car by any means. I got a loaner "they say" comparable to Mz3, it was Hyundai Elantra GT 2016 loaded. This car is total BS. It felt like a bath tub on wheels. Told to everyone - never buy a base model of budget car if you love driving.
post #97 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:47 AM
Brk4lambo

Quote:
Not gonna happen anytime soon. Drunk driver smashed into my 2 week old 2017 Mazda 3 GT parked in front of my house. Towed to Geico Express Body Shop. Anything I should be concerned about in dealing w/the repairs.

It was hit and pushed 20 feet by a large SUV and also smashed into side of another SUV in front. So it also has damage on front driver's side (not shown) and front of hood.
Oh man, sorry about that. Just check Geico certified shops with the good reviews. If there is none, make sure you go to a shop where they can match the paint properly.
post #98 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:49 AM
Brk4lambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathol View Post
You don't really want a Mexico made car anyhow. I have heard a lot of stories about QC, parts are different etc. Japan made cars seem to be put together better overall.
I didn't want to believe it but it is true.
post #99 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:20 PM
BrianU
Points: 2,975, Level: 33 Points: 2,975, Level: 33 Points: 2,975, Level: 33
Activity: 79%
Activity: 79% Activity: 79% Activity: 79%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
The initial estimate came in at 13-14K on a 2017 loaded Mazda 3 GT w/Iactive sense, a 28.8K list price. They still have to take the car apart to do a further assessment of internal damage. GEICO says the fair market value of the car is 25K, which is about what I paid for it (cap cost on the least). They will only total it when the repair reaches 80% of the FMV. My question is what is the real value of this car, assuming they made the repairs, so it's (in the adjuster's words) "like new". Someone who looked at a carfax report on this car - after its repaired, how much would they really pay given its history. To me that is the fair market value? Anyone have a guess? Because quite honestly w/a car only 2 weeks old, I would rather they total it. Any advice?

I posted pictures of the rear. Apparently the front of the car and the hood got pretty banged up. The car was pushed 20 feet into a large SUV.
I would ask the insurance company how you can file a "Diminished value claim". Some research indicate that the value drops about 20% after a significant accident, so 25K * .8 = 20K. You would be asking the insurance company cut you a check for $5000.00 AFTER the repairs have been completed AND the car has been appraised by an independent appraiser paid for by the insurance company.

From CarFax: https://www.carfax.com/guides/sellin...ect-car-prices

From the garage.jalopnik : Even If You Repair A Crashed Car, Your Resale Value Will Not Recuperate

You were not at fault and YOU shouldn't have to take a hit from diminished value of a brand new car!

2016 Touring manual Deep Crystal Blue Mica/Sand leatherette

35% 3M Ceramic film|OEM cargo tray, F&R splash guards|TPI C726445F Wheel Locks|Interior & BKup LEDs|iJDMTOY Fogs yellow Lamin-x & H9s Mazda stalk|H9 headlights
A119 dashcam w/GPS & Lexar microSDXC 633x 128GB|Polk Audio DB351s/100V 47uF caps in dash|DXI 651s rear doors|Kenwood KSC-SW11 subwoofer|Thermoquiet acoustic insulation
post #100 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
sc489
Points: 2,141, Level: 27 Points: 2,141, Level: 27 Points: 2,141, Level: 27

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

This thread is going off my topic!
The Following User Says Thank You to sc489 For This Useful Post:
stevenvillatoro (03-15-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2017 , engine , mazda , noise , road

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode