Mazda 3 2017 Road / Engine Noise - Page 11 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Rnbarg
Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc489 View Post
This thread is going off my topic!
Sorry about that. I stared the off topic discussion and I will end it with one last post. That you for your indulgence.

Once my car gets fixed (3 weeks), I will add my experience w/the new tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:18 PM
Rnbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU View Post
I would ask the insurance company how you can file a "Diminished value claim". Some research indicate that the value drops about 20% after a significant accident, so 25K * .8 = 20K. You would be asking the insurance company cut you a check for $5000.00 AFTER the repairs have been completed AND the car has been appraised by an independent appraiser paid for by the insurance company.

From CarFax: https://www.carfax.com/guides/sellin...ect-car-prices

From the garage.jalopnik : Even If You Repair A Crashed Car, Your Resale Value Will Not Recuperate

You were not at fault and YOU shouldn't have to take a hit from diminished value of a brand new car!
Out of respect for the owner of this thread, this will be my last post on this topic. I think this information will be benefical in the long run for this info to be on the forum genrally.

BrianU is generally correct about diminished value. In CA and in most states, however, if you elect to have your own insurance carrier handle the claim, known as a 1st Party Claim, as I did here with GEICO, you cannot make a dimished value claim under your policy. Their responsibiitiy is to either repair it or total it. You can still make the diminished value claim vs. the party at fault, here the DUI Driver's insurance company (3rd Party claim), irrespective of GEICO'S policy. Those claims are hard to make. You need an appraiser to assess the value and then you need to find a car which was sold w/similar damage to compare it's fair market value. With a 2017 car, that's going to be easy. Since I am leasing the car and am never going to excercise the purchase option given the car's history, it's not clear whether asserting that claim would do me any good. I'm going to have to sign the check over to the lienholder who will get the benefit, not me. So what's the point. Unless I was considered the equitable owner and can keep the check. I will have to consult a lawyer about this.
post #103 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:39 PM
quidnatch
Points: 7,138, Level: 55 Points: 7,138, Level: 55 Points: 7,138, Level: 55
Activity: 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnbarg View Post
Not gonna happen anytime soon. Drunk driver smashed into my 2 week old 2017 Mazda 3 GT parked in front of my house. Towed to Geico Express Body Shop. Anything I should be concerned about in dealing w/the repairs.

It was hit and pushed 20 feet by a large SUV and also smashed into side of another SUV in front. So it also has damage on front driver's side (not shown) and front of hood.
Sorry man. That happened to my wifes Element last November and it was totaled. Drunk driver hit it parked in front of our place about 20 minutes after she got our kids out. I empathize. That blows.

2015 Mazda 3 S Touring Manual Meteor Grey
Suntek Carbon 18% tint
Corksport SRI w/K&N heatshield added
Corksport lowering springs
Corksport RMM
Corksport RSB
HardRace endlinks
Speedline strut tower bar
OVTune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:46 PM
Djcapitan
Points: 1,934, Level: 26 Points: 1,934, Level: 26 Points: 1,934, Level: 26
Activity: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Sometimes very noisy im happy with the car
post #105 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:11 PM
Rnbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by quidnatch View Post
Sorry man. That happened to my wifes Element last November and it was totaled. Drunk driver hit it parked in front of our place about 20 minutes after she got our kids out. I empathize. That blows.
They totalled my car which has 14K damage because they could not get critical parts.

This is great news as I wasn't happy with the car - I hated the noisy ride, the lack of Apple car play, the lack of a power liftgate for the hatchback and the stupid, cheesy HUD display. Totalling that car was Manna from Heaven.

Sayonara Mazda
post #106 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 02:55 AM
shifty
Points: 869, Level: 15 Points: 869, Level: 15 Points: 869, Level: 15
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

wow, did this thread take off since I last visited. But its all good.
I still go back to what I mentioned earlier and another recently mentions as well. I don't really get what kind of car class many think we are into here. Yes there is road noise and on given road surfaces can be annoying. But its certainly not the only car with road noise in this class. We are in what is basically a compact economy class of vehicle.

The compact car class has become one in which is now receiving more bells and whistles than it ever did before but imo we cant confuse that fact with the fact that its still an economy compact class of car. Road noise can certainly be an area of which greater concern is left for much higher end vehicles. I mean add the best road noise remedies, a couple extra features, and along with the already nicer cabins and existing features and what desire would anyone have to buy a higher end vehicle? wed basically then already be in one.

I think the fact of being in a nice cabin (even though an economy car class) gives a false impression and expectation of the quietest of rides. I mean if everything was hard plastic, less attractive, and an overall more economy oriented feel in the cabin, we may then better expect or accept road noise to match that economy class atmosphere we are actually in.

It could be similar to perhaps another economy car that may do the opposite where as they paid greater attention to road noise while yet left the cabin to offer a much cheaper economy feel and atmosphere. As implied above, if every economy car had all areas covered at a higher level of refinement, then well...we wouldn't be in an economy car.

A nicer cabin atmosphere offered can sort of be a victim of its own success. Get praised for being nicely done and more refined than whats expected for the class but then because of that very success it then gets more criticized than normal for noise vs a cabin that is lessor refined to begin with.
Studum likes this.
post #107 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:01 AM
BearlyHere
Points: 11,896, Level: 71 Points: 11,896, Level: 71 Points: 11,896, Level: 71

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

I just traded in my 2014 sGT for a 2017 sGT, so here goes apples to apples:
When I switched my 2014 stock Dunlops for Michelin Sport AS3s, the noise decreased somewhat but there was a huge difference in handling (specifically tire slippage).
I asked the dealer to switch them out before delivery this time, so I have a pretty good baseline knowledge to compare the noise.
The 2017 is considerably more quiet both in road noise and engine noise. I don't get nearly as much growl when I romp on the throttle (which I kinda miss), but overall the noise level and ride is much more refined.
Is it quiet? No, it's not a Caddy or Mercedes.
Is it quieter than before, YES!
Studum, sc489, Road Trip and 2 others like this.

2017 Mazda 3 GT Five Door

White Pearl Mica w/ matching 5 pc. Aero Kit
Side Window Deflectors / Tint
Bumperguard / Doorsil Guard
Cargo Tray & Net / LED inside and out
Debadged in favor of AXELA & GT / Evil M (back & front)
Gun Metal Gray Powder Coat Rims / Michelin Pilot Sport AS3
JBR Filter
post #108 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:12 PM
saiyan
Points: 2,744, Level: 31 Points: 2,744, Level: 31 Points: 2,744, Level: 31
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearlyHere View Post
Is it quieter than before, YES!
Could you please elaborate more on 2017's improvement in road noise when compared to 2014 (running stock tires)?

For example, how much more quieter is the 2017 travelling at various speed (45 mph vs 70 mph) and on different road surfaces (asphalt vs concrete pavement with grooves like those on 105 freeway near LAX airport).

Thanks.

2014 Mazda3 i Touring w/ Technology Package Snowflake White Pearl
post #109 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:16 AM
BearlyHere
Points: 11,896, Level: 71 Points: 11,896, Level: 71 Points: 11,896, Level: 71

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyan View Post
Could you please elaborate more on 2017's improvement in road noise when compared to 2014 (running stock tires)?

For example, how much more quieter is the 2017 travelling at various speed (45 mph vs 70 mph) and on different road surfaces (asphalt vs concrete pavement with grooves like those on 105 freeway near LAX airport).

Thanks.
Prolly 3-6 dB on all surfaces. Go to a dealer and drive a 2017 for a bit, then try a 2016. But do it in that order. Always easier to tell a difference sound wise to go better to worse than the other way around.

P.S. I just had a 2016 3S loaner for 5 days. Again, the difference made me happy to have Gen 3+.

2017 Mazda 3 GT Five Door

White Pearl Mica w/ matching 5 pc. Aero Kit
Side Window Deflectors / Tint
Bumperguard / Doorsil Guard
Cargo Tray & Net / LED inside and out
Debadged in favor of AXELA & GT / Evil M (back & front)
Gun Metal Gray Powder Coat Rims / Michelin Pilot Sport AS3
JBR Filter

Last edited by BearlyHere; 03-30-2017 at 05:18 AM.
post #110 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:01 PM
hoodlum
Points: 1,511, Level: 22 Points: 1,511, Level: 22 Points: 1,511, Level: 22
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

I haven't see an reviews or comparison showing noise reduction with the 2.0L. Has anyone been able to confirm if sound level improvement were only applied to the 2.5L models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2017 , engine , mazda , noise , road

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode