Mazda 3 2017 Road / Engine Noise - Page 3 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 03:30 PM
lowincash
Points: 12,326, Level: 72 Points: 12,326, Level: 72 Points: 12,326, Level: 72
Activity: 69%
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc489 View Post
You say the wind noise shows no improvement but do you think the level of road noise has been improved which I find more annoying?
Her car does have more road noise than mine but I blame the tires. Though it was only a 15 minute ride, on the freeway I noticed road noise was louder than my car. When I first bought my mazda3, first thing I did was changed out the tires at less than 1k miles because of the tire drone on the freeway. I have pirelli tires on my car right now and it has very little road noise on most roads so tires are very important in road noise. Most of the noise I hear are coming window and maybe door area I think. I've since added a layer of weather seal around all four doors and body which helped a little bit with the wind noise leaking into the cabin to where wind noise is not bothersome. I also have the OEM window visors though, and I remember after getting them I noticed the wind noise was more but I think I'm used to it already lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2014 sGT Hatchback
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

| GV/Cronos/Autoexe Lip Kit | MV-Tuning Eyelids | Enkei TS10 | Pirelli Cinturato P7 ASP | Photosync Tint | OEM Rear Spoiler | OEM Window Visor | Osram CBI | Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights |
| Black Chrome Vinyl Wrapped Trims | Gloss Black Vinyl Wrapped Rear Valance | LED Interior/Reverse/License/Turn | JBR RSB | JBR Air Filter | Vibrant Resonator |
The Following User Says Thank You to lowincash For This Useful Post:
sc489 (01-30-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
sc489
Points: 1,610, Level: 23 Points: 1,610, Level: 23 Points: 1,610, Level: 23
Activity: 88%
Activity: 88% Activity: 88% Activity: 88%

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowincash View Post
Her car does have more road noise than mine but I blame the tires. Though it was only a 15 minute ride, on the freeway I noticed road noise was louder than my car. When I first bought my mazda3, first thing I did was changed out the tires at less than 1k miles because of the tire drone on the freeway. I have pirelli tires on my car right now and it has very little road noise on most roads so tires are very important in road noise. Most of the noise I hear are coming window and maybe door area I think. I've since added a layer of weather seal around all four doors and body which helped a little bit with the wind noise leaking into the cabin to where wind noise is not bothersome. I also have the OEM window visors though, and I remember after getting them I noticed the wind noise was more but I think I'm used to it already lol
It's odd you think her 2017 Mazda 3 has more road noise when most posts on this thread say the 2017 model road moise is quieter.
stevenvillatoro likes this.
post #23 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:28 AM
stevenvillatoro
Points: 898, Level: 15 Points: 898, Level: 15 Points: 898, Level: 15
Activity: 53%
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
It's odd you think her 2017 Mazda 3 has more road noise when most posts on this thread say the 2017 model road moise is quieter.

Exactly. With the long and impressive list of changes and testing that were specifically made to address road noise and other NHV issues, it's hard to understand how a 2017 car could actually be worse there must be some other unknown factor influencing the anomaly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:23 PM
lowincash
Points: 12,326, Level: 72 Points: 12,326, Level: 72 Points: 12,326, Level: 72
Activity: 69%
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)

Quote:
Like I said, I have pirelli tires right now (had michellins before) which has almost little to no road noise on some roads. My coworker's car has stock tires which I can hear the roaring on the freeway. Change out the tires on that car and it'll be even quieter. Stock for stock, maybe the 2017 is quieter but probably not by much, can't really tell since it's been a long time since I've had stock tires. I'm really hoping the 4th gen gets even quieter since mazda is now aiming to quiet down their cars.

2014 sGT Hatchback

| GV/Cronos/Autoexe Lip Kit | MV-Tuning Eyelids | Enkei TS10 | Pirelli Cinturato P7 ASP | Photosync Tint | OEM Rear Spoiler | OEM Window Visor | Osram CBI | Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights |
| Black Chrome Vinyl Wrapped Trims | Gloss Black Vinyl Wrapped Rear Valance | LED Interior/Reverse/License/Turn | JBR RSB | JBR Air Filter | Vibrant Resonator |
post #25 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
sc489

It is odd about the divergence of views about road noise in this thread and by car reviewers.

I'm going to test drive the 2017 Mazda 3 at my local dealer next week since I've only driven the pre-facelift version. I also want to see the new Sonic Silver colour in the flesh. This will be a 2.0 petrol manual Sport Nav (UK version) with the 18" wheels. The UK supplied cars are made in Japan and may have different tyres to the ones you get in the USA.

I'll report back after the test drive including the tyres fitted. I'm quite used to driving my quiet Honda Accord so I'll notice any significant NVH issues.

Thanks for all your feedback.
post #26 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:30 AM
shifty
Points: 774, Level: 14 Points: 774, Level: 14 Points: 774, Level: 14
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
It is odd about the divergence of views about road noise in this thread and by car reviewers.

I'm going to test drive the 2017 Mazda 3 at my local dealer next week since I've only driven the pre-facelift version. I also want to see the new Sonic Silver colour in the flesh. This will be a 2.0 petrol manual Sport Nav (UK version) with the 18" wheels. The UK supplied cars are made in Japan and may have different tyres to the ones you get in the USA.

I'll report back after the test drive including the tyres fitted. I'm quite used to driving my quiet Honda Accord so I'll notice any significant NVH issues.

Thanks for all your feedback.
The accord would be more equivalent to the Mazda6. Its not the compact economy car of the M3 or the civic for that matter. So I would expect the accord to be somewhat less noisy. You see...it depends what car one is coming from when looking to review road noise. Comparing a car to the likes of others in the same class of vehicle is more the thing that needs to be done when trying to determine where a car ranks in a given area of interest.
post #27 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
sc489

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
The accord would be more equivalent to the Mazda6. Its not the compact economy car of the M3 or the civic for that matter. So I would expect the accord to be somewhat less noisy. You see...it depends what car one is coming from when looking to review road noise. Comparing a car to the likes of others in the same class of vehicle is more the thing that needs to be done when trying to determine where a car ranks in a given area of interest.
I understand that. I've found cars like the Accord and Mazda 6 have now grown too large for my needs - we can't buy the Accord in the UK anyway since Honda decided they weren't earning enough profits from it.

Last edited by sc489; 02-04-2017 at 02:54 AM.
post #28 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:59 PM
shifty
Points: 774, Level: 14 Points: 774, Level: 14 Points: 774, Level: 14
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
I understand that. I've found cars like the Accord and Mazda 6 have now grown too large for my needs - we can't buy the Accord in the UK anyway since it Honda decided they weren't earning enough profits from it.
that's interesting. No accord in the UK? well I guess they no what sells and what doesn't. But fwiw throughout Europe havnt smaller frames and better economy cars been the norm long before they become more popular in the US? Lacking the amount of open roads I suppose? Just guessing.

I wonder...are crossovers like the CX5 or evenb larger ones like the CX9 popular there. Or how about minivans? Or is nayhting larger much more the rare?
post #29 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:34 PM
goolie
Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I commute 90 miles a day, so road noise was a big factor in my evaluation of whether or not the M3 was right for me. I thought road noise was better in my M3 than my '14 Golf TDI. FWIW, my wife says it's a lot easier to understand me over a bluetooh phone call, there is less background noise.

While I can't comment on '16 vs '17 road noise, I can say that I'm totally happy with the noise level in the '17.
sc489 likes this.

2017 Mazda 3 Touring
Oaktownbootieville
post #30 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Coopspeed
Points: 853, Level: 15 Points: 853, Level: 15 Points: 853, Level: 15
Activity: 40%
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Here's the most complete description I've found of the 2017 changes to benefit NHV, including:

• G-Vectoring Control (yes, for NHV!)
• Improved door weather strip design
• Tighter body panel gaps
• Thicker windshield glass
• Laminated front window glass (GT only)
• Dynamic dampers at rear trailing arms/crossmember
• Improved sound insulation

Mazda claims that the changes give an impressive 3 dB reduction in noise at 25 mph on rough roads.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...drive-handling
If you read the article from the link you posted it mentions the thicker glass on the 6, not the 3.

"Mazda is making other changes to the Mazda6 to give the midsize sedan a more premium feel for the 2017 model year.

Nappa leather seats, a steering wheel heater and rear-seat heaters are available on Grand Touring models equipped with the premium package.

Weather strip terminals have been molded around the doors to improve sealing between rear door trims and inner panels. Thicker front glass to block out wind noise also has been added.

Grand Touring models receive laminated front side windows, similar to what can be found in the CX-9 Grand Touring and Signature crossovers."

Last edited by Coopspeed; 02-03-2017 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2017 , engine , mazda , noise , road

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode