Mazda 3 2017 Road / Engine Noise - Page 8 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

 64Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
sc489
Senior Member
Points: 2,141, Level: 27
Points: 2,141, Level: 27 Points: 2,141, Level: 27 Points: 2,141, Level: 27
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 180
Thanks: 43
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
 
That's an interesting post 70. The tyres on my UK Japanese built Mazda 3 having 18 inch wheels are Dunlop Sport Maxx TT - a Summer tyre. These appear to be a different type of Dunlop tyre to the ones you get in North America (Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Symmetrical - an All Season tyre?). See the differences here:

https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/consumer...SPTMAXXTT.html
http://www.dunloptires.com/en-US/tir...ort-5000-tires

We don't see many adverse reports of road noise in the UK motoring press. I asked the well regarded UK motoring site Honest John and got these replies:
I tested the car and there was no intrusive road noise at all on at least 150 miles of Scottish roads. I recommend the 18 inch wheels and tyres over the 16s for the reason stated. Readers have never complained to me of road noise from the 3. They did complain of road noise from the original 19 inch wheels and tyres on the 6.

Load of junk. This is particular cobblers: "At a 70mph cruise, the engine is all but inaudible, so it’s perhaps a shame that even with lots of new sound insulation, wind and road noise are not quite as isolated as the class best." Pay no attention

I'll report back when I get my UK Mazda 3 in a few days. I'm buying the sedan version so I hope this will be a bit quieter than the more common hatchback.

Last edited by sc489; 03-01-2017 at 11:45 AM.
sc489 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #72 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 10:33 AM
Road Trip
Gearhead
Points: 5,484, Level: 47
Points: 5,484, Level: 47 Points: 5,484, Level: 47 Points: 5,484, Level: 47
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Road Trip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,132
Thanks: 61
Thanked 100 Times in 87 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
     
Garage
I ordered the Mazda 3 GT for many reasons, including it having a manual transmission yet having good power and a leather interior and many other upscale features -- a combo not available in its competitors below the $30K price point.

At the same time, and I have been driving sports cars since 1967, the Mazda is a great handling car, with a good transmission, fine steering, and many more positive driving attributes. I need a car that is fun to drive on curvy country roads where I live, and the Mazda 3 fits that bill. And the fact that the Mazda delivers nice fuel economy on road trips is an extra bonus.

As to why a hatch is inherently louder than a sedan, a hatch lacks that complete side to side and top to bottom barrier between the rear passenger seats and the cargo area, and thus tire whine and similar noises get unimpeded access to its occupants' ears. (Just like decades ago, a station wagon was louder than a regular passenger car).

2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch: Soul Red Metallic with Black interior, manual: Premium Equipment pkg, customized OEM Appearance Pkg; iActivSense Pkg, add'l OEM options.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Road Trip is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Road Trip For This Useful Post:
dradernh (03-01-2017)
post #73 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:06 AM
Rnbarg
Member
Points: 637, Level: 12
Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Albany, CA (near Berkeley)
Posts: 67
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
 
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
I ordered the Mazda 3 GT for many reasons, including it having a manual transmission yet having good power and a leather interior and many other upscale features -- a combo not available in its competitors below the $30K price point.

At the same time, and I have been driving sports cars since 1967, the Mazda is a great handling car, with a good transmission, fine steering, and many more positive driving attributes. I need a car that is fun to drive on curvy country roads where I live, and the Mazda 3 fits that bill. And the fact that the Mazda delivers nice fuel economy on road trips is an extra bonus.

As to why a hatch is inherently louder than a sedan, a hatch lacks that complete side to side and top to bottom barrier between the rear passenger seats and the cargo area, and thus tire whine and similar noises get unimpeded access to its occupants' ears. (Just like decades ago, a station wagon was louder than a regular passenger car).
Don't forget the dizzying array of safety features in IActiveSense, the fact that the car blows away the rest of the compacts on style and most notably on exterior colors on the 2017 (and in most cases in earlier) models, especially the premium colors: machine gray (which I have), soul red (which I considered), the premium white and the deep crystal mica blue, another beautiful color (if you keep it washed) which I also considered. Compare these w/the drab styling and uninspring colors othe VW Golf Autobahn GT which is another 8K over the loaded Mazda 3 GT. When I look at the exterior of my car w/it's gleam of the polished machine gray, it oozes luxury. Some have suggested that with GVectoring, the Mazda mimics an AWD drive in many respects.

re: "with a good transmission" - from what I have read, the Mazda manual tranmission is not just good, but amazing, something that sets it apart, avaiable in at the top of the line GT trim.

Off Topic (apologies in advance): Last night I saw the benefit of having the Infotainment system mounted on the dash moulding. You see a map where you are all the time. I still don't like the HUD Active Display and I'm not alone. There's a reason why 3D TV never caught on and why 3D movies are struggling. The HUD Active Display is much the same. Countering that, it does improve safety. With the Mazda 3 GT, you can be going 90 miles and hour and think you are going 70, it's that fast. The HUD helps to keep you from doing that. There is a DIY way of causing it never to come up for anyone who really can't stand it - see also

You mentioned (DIY) sound installation, something I'm very reluctant to get involved w/. The tires, well, all you have to do, is write a check/credit card and have them installed. (Don't forget to recalibrate the Reset Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) system https://youtu.be/fNdo7NE7sXM

What's the low hanging fruit on sound deadening? i.e. doesn't require you to take your car apart.
Rnbarg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #74 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:20 AM
Rnbarg
Member
Points: 637, Level: 12
Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Albany, CA (near Berkeley)
Posts: 67
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc489 View Post
That's an interesting post 70. The tyres on my UK Japanese built Mazda 3 having 18 inch wheels are Dunlop Sport Maxx TT - a Summer tyre. These appear to be a different type of Dunlop tyre to the ones you get in North America (Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Symmetrical - an All Season tyre?). See the differences here:

https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/consumer...SPTMAXXTT.html
SP Sport 5000 Tires | Dunlop Tires

We don't see many adverse reports of road noise in the UK motoring press. I asked the well regarded UK motoring site Honest John and got these replies:
I tested the car and there was no intrusive road noise at all on at least 150 miles of Scottish roads. I recommend the 18 inch wheels and tyres over the 16s for the reason stated. Readers have never complained to me of road noise from the 3. They did complain of road noise from the original 19 inch wheels and tyres on the 6.

Load of junk. This is particular cobblers: "At a 70mph cruise, the engine is all but inaudible, so itís perhaps a shame that even with lots of new sound insulation, wind and road noise are not quite as isolated as the class best." Pay no attention

I'll report back when I get my UK Mazda 3 in a few days. I'm buying a the sedan version so I hope this will be a bit quieter than the more common hatchback.
Both of these are potential confounding factors in evaluating NVH on the 2017 Mazda 3: hatchback vs sedan, differences among international models. However, re: the Hatchback being more common (whoever said that) - to the contrary, in the US there are currently 16,723 Mazda 3s for sale and 10,644 are sedans, 6,074 are hatchbacks. The same relative percentages obtain for the GT trim.
Rnbarg is offline  
post #75 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
sc489
Senior Member
Points: 2,141, Level: 27
Points: 2,141, Level: 27 Points: 2,141, Level: 27 Points: 2,141, Level: 27
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 180
Thanks: 43
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnbarg View Post
Both of these are potential confounding factors in evaluating NVH on the 2017 Mazda 3: hatchback vs sedan, differences among international models. However, re: the Hatchback being more common (whoever said that) - to the contrary, in the US there are currently 16,723 Mazda 3s for sale and 10,644 are sedans, 6,074 are hatchbacks. The same relative percentages obtain for the GT trim.
That's not the case in the UK - I think about 80% Mazda 3 sales are hatchbacks and 20% sedans (called fastback in UK). I particularly wanted the sedan/fastback for styling and might have bought an automatic version but Mazda UK dropped the auto version last year. Anyway, I'm very used to manual transmission and the Mazda 3 one is good.
sc489 is offline  
post #76 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:57 AM
stevenvillatoro
Senior Member
Points: 990, Level: 16
Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16
Activity: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 194
Thanks: 15
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
 
Mazda 3 2017 Road / Engine Noise

When considering tires, I called Tire Rack three times and talked to three staff who had worked there for years. Each conversation was more than 20 minutes, discussing the nuances of tires in this category, including noise and performance. When talking to these very astute guys, they were all significantly more resolute in favoring the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (relative to competitive tires in the segment). Emphatically they stated (paraphrasing), "Get the Michelins. You won't regret it."
Road Trip likes this.
stevenvillatoro is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevenvillatoro For This Useful Post:
dradernh (03-01-2017), Road Trip (03-01-2017)
post #77 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:11 PM
Rnbarg
Member
Points: 637, Level: 12
Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Albany, CA (near Berkeley)
Posts: 67
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
 
A Reasonable Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
When considering tires, I called Tire Rack three times and talked to three staff who had worked there for years. Each conversation was more than 20 minutes, discussing the nuances of tires in this category, including noise and performance. When talking to these very astute guys, they were all significantly more resolute in favoring the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (relative to competitive tires in the segment). Emphatically they stated (paraphrasing), "Get the Michelins. You won't regret it."
Like I wrote to our forum colleagre RoadTrip in an earlier message, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is a very reasonable choice. I just happened to have made a different one, with the potential drawback of deviating from the OEM tires choosing a 225 with. It's basically a judgment call.

FWIW, I also spoke to two experienced Tire Rack reps. The first one also emphatically recommended the Michelin. When I called back, the 2nd rep told me I'd be crazy not to go with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, that it would have a greater impact in eliminating NVH noise, that numerous customers who chose it were very ecstatic about the results, that I shoudn't be concerned about the 225 width.
Rnbarg is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Rnbarg For This Useful Post:
dradernh (03-01-2017)
post #78 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:41 PM
arathol
Senior Member
Points: 3,306, Level: 35
Points: 3,306, Level: 35 Points: 3,306, Level: 35 Points: 3,306, Level: 35
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
arathol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: central ct
Posts: 1,019
Thanks: 0
Thanked 128 Times in 110 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnbarg View Post
Like I wrote to our forum colleagre RoadTrip in an earlier message, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is a very reasonable choice. I just happened to have made a different one, with the potential drawback of deviating from the OEM tires choosing a 225 with. It's basically a judgment call.

FWIW, I also spoke to two experienced Tire Rack reps. The first one also emphatically recommended the Michelin. When I called back, the 2nd rep told me I'd be crazy not to go with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, that it would have a greater impact in eliminating NVH noise, that numerous customers who chose it were very ecstatic about the results, that I shoudn't be concerned about the 225 width.
I don't see any drawback in not going with the OEM tires. In fact, OEM tires on the 3 seem mostly cheap crap anyhow and most anything would be better.
I would not buy anything based on the recommendation of any sales person. Almost invariably there are incentives to sell a certain product line or item, so I tend to do my own research and base purchases like this on actual experiences of those who actually have used the product.
You'll be just fine with the P7s.
Road Trip likes this.

Last edited by arathol; 03-01-2017 at 01:15 PM.
arathol is offline  
post #79 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Road Trip
Gearhead
Points: 5,484, Level: 47
Points: 5,484, Level: 47 Points: 5,484, Level: 47 Points: 5,484, Level: 47
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Road Trip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,132
Thanks: 61
Thanked 100 Times in 87 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
     
Garage
As I posted a few days ago, there are several excellent tires for our Mazda 3's dependent upon our personal priorities, and each one, as @arathol noted, will be light years ahead of what the car comes with as shown in the below picture of what actual tire purchasers, not salespersons, evaluated based on their usage. And while not on this particular picture, though in an earlier one I posted, the Pirelli C7 is in the same class as the Michelin and the Conti -- as are a couple of others.



If anyone who ever experiences snow or ice while driving has a single double at to weather the Dunlop SP 5000 OEM's are crap, IMO unsafe in those conditions, please look at that specific section above.

2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch: Soul Red Metallic with Black interior, manual: Premium Equipment pkg, customized OEM Appearance Pkg; iActivSense Pkg, add'l OEM options.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Road Trip; 03-01-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Road Trip is offline  
post #80 of 148 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:59 PM
dradernh
Senior Member
Points: 2,800, Level: 32
Points: 2,800, Level: 32 Points: 2,800, Level: 32 Points: 2,800, Level: 32
Activity: 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: So. NH
Posts: 245
Thanks: 23
Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc489 View Post
That's an interesting post 70. The tyres on my UK Japanese built Mazda 3 having 18 inch wheels are Dunlop Sport Maxx TT - a Summer tyre. These appear to be a different type of Dunlop tyre to the ones you get in North America (Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Symmetrical - an All Season tyre?). See the differences here:

https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/consumer...SPTMAXXTT.html
SP Sport 5000 Tires | Dunlop Tires
Curiously, the Dunlop SP 5000 tires, as delivered on new MZ3s in the United States, have a tread pattern (see below) that matches exactly none of the many SP 5000 tread patterns I've seen online, including the one to which you've linked. Our tires appear to most closely match the Dunlop SP 5100 tire, at least as that tire is available at retail here in the States.

This leads me to wonder if the Dunlop SP 5000 tire delivered in the States was created specifically at Mazda's request, something not uncommon with higher-end performance cars (and perhaps others as well?).

The tread pattern of the Dunlop SP 5000 tire that came on our car:

'15 Soul Red Mazda3 MT s Touring Hatchback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dradernh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
2017 , engine , mazda , noise , road

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome