Rear ended, what's your estimate? - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By darvetis
  • 1 Post By Dahs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Dahs
Points: 1,253, Level: 19 Points: 1,253, Level: 19 Points: 1,253, Level: 19
Activity: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Rear ended, what's your estimate?

Hey everyone,

Sad to report that my 2015 iTouring Hatchback got rear ended on the highway last night.

I was fully stopped in traffic and a young driver rammed into the back right corner of my car.

She had insurance so it should be taken care of, but I was curious to hear from you knowledgeable people what kind of damages and estimates I might be looking at on the car.

I've been trying to figure out diminished value as well and will be trying to get reimbursed for that if anyone has any tips or experiences with doing so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170315_174735.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	199466  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:51 PM
darvetis
Points: 2,678, Level: 31 Points: 2,678, Level: 31 Points: 2,678, Level: 31
Activity: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Diminished value claim? Good luck with that.
Road Trip likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Dahs

Oh I'm sure I'll need plenty of luck and will most likely be unsuccessful, but am going to do more research to try to get something out of it.
ElNino77 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:05 PM
Road Trip
Gearhead
Points: 4,669, Level: 43 Points: 4,669, Level: 43 Points: 4,669, Level: 43
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

Garage
Most important thing right now is that you are okay (often it is not until day 2 or 3 that neck and back issues surface). Second, to get your insurance company and her's officially notified. Third, is to get approval from your insurance company to take your car to the body shop that you want AND that they approve. Fourth, is to do extensive research on the best body shop that meets # 3.

If you have done all of those things, then and only then you have time to even consider diminished value. If you have not complete # 1-4 yet, skip diminished value claims for now (and based on the "size" of your damage, IMO forever).

2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch: Soul Red Metallic with Black interior, manual: Premium Equipment pkg, customized OEM Appearance Pkg; iActivSense Pkg, add'l OEM options.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:43 PM
arathol
Points: 2,875, Level: 32 Points: 2,875, Level: 32 Points: 2,875, Level: 32
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

From the picture it looks worse than it may be. The rear fascia is crumpled. It doesn't seem like there is any other sheet metal damage. Unless there is a problem with the hatch or hidden damage under the rear of car you might be ok. You may just have to have the rear fascia/bumper replaced and painted. Not a huge deal.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:23 PM
SJaug
Points: 2,601, Level: 31 Points: 2,601, Level: 31 Points: 2,601, Level: 31
Activity: 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Garage
I had similar damage done to my car in an accident. At my body shop just the new painted bumper was roughly $540 installed. I got $1,000 for my diminished value claim, however, my car was only 7 days old at the time and the other driver also bent and chipped some paint on the rear quarter panel so damages totaled $1,881.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Dahs

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences. Fortunately, the other insurance company accepted full liability and we've talked through everything, so everything up to figuring out diminished value has been taken care of for the most part. I'm expecting further damage since the right blind spot sensor seems to be having some false positives, and will go from there.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:16 PM
EadzaM
Points: 1,715, Level: 24 Points: 1,715, Level: 24 Points: 1,715, Level: 24
Activity: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Ahhh, another accident. Sorry to hear and I'm glad you're okay. My four-month old sGT was rear-ended on the freeway so hard that I was pushed into the car in front of mine. They accepted full liability and their insurance company, Liberty Mutual, estimated $3500 in damages and offered $1200 for diminished value. I took the car to a trusted body shop that got the final damage estimate to $6500. The car was fixed to my liking. (Well, at first the bumpers didn't paint match correctly but they re-did it to my approval.)

I took the car to the dealer I bought it from to get a trade-in value and they were willing to take it back for about $4500 less than "new." I also used Edmunds or cars dot com estimator to value the car brand new vs fair condition and printed out the results. And I printed out for sale ads for similar lightly used s GT's. Lastly, and most importantly, I paid a professional appraiser $280 to provide a diminished value report and he estimated loss of DV at $4500. I also got a lawyer to take care of personal injury and "pain and suffering."

With the DV report and my other "evidence," LM offered a compromise of $2200 for DV. Even a fourth grader can tell that's not a true compromise. They also lied to me telling me that their appraiser spoke to my appraiser to come up with this "fair" offer. That never happened. They stopped responding to my emails and voicemails after this. My appraiser recommended a separate lawyer (my PI lawyer is from VA and the accident occurred in MD so my PI lawyer couldn't assist me with the DV) who advised me to sue the defendant in small claims court. "Nine out of ten times the defendant will call his insurance company and say 'wtf, I thought you took care of this?' and they increase their offer." That's EXACTLY what happened. After a month of silence and letting the process work itself out (the defendants getting served court papers unexpectedly), they came back with an offer of $3500 which I accepted and subsequently dismissed the case.

So DV depends on the insurance company and your persistence and research. Luckily, LM is one of the better ones as most don't even offer or discuss DV with you. Your appraiser will have great insight on this if he/she is good. My advice is to lawyer up and get it professionally appraised if you think you're being low-balled. Lawyers who do PI usually do DV and auto repair as part of the PI case, ie they shouldn't charge a fee for anything you get back from DV. I definitely got lucky too though. Good luck! (I tried to keep it short. Really, I did.)

2016 Mazda3s GT 5-door : soul red/almond/MT (DD)
1993 RX-7 Touring
2004 Mazda6s GT 4-door (traded in)
1994 Protege (totaled)
The Following User Says Thank You to EadzaM For This Useful Post:
dradernh (03-17-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ended , estimate , rear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode