Nikias
Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
There are only two reasons to buy a manual - you like to shift gears and it is cheaper. The new automatics are extremely efficient, have just as many gears, can downshift, allow you to shift manually if you like with the paddle shifters. Driving in the city is a chore with a manual. It used to be that you had more control with a manual and that it had more gears, but no more. The Mazda auto is very good.

If you are thinking about getting an "S" model with the 2.5L engine, you don't have a choice. In that model you have "sport" mode which is a blast to use.

From a pure technology standpoint and mpg standpoint, autos are really much better. That said, I've always had manuals in my sports cars because they were the better transmission for those cars. If you plan on either a lot of city driving or a lot of trips, buy an auto. If you want to get in touch with your inner gear, buy a manual.

The other point is that with all of the technology in the car with phone, text messaging, nav, etc., it can be unsafe to use a manual AND those things.
I was on the line about the tech package but if i got the manual I had planned on getting it since it offered voice commands. My friends strongly encourage the manual. They think it is more fun to drive. I have found that I miss my right hand and left foot doing things after I practiced with my friend. I like to fidget so that could be good for me. I think it might help me from zoning out out as well. I will some times drive and miss a turn just because I was enjoying the ride and in my own little head space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 05:24 PM
jwok
Points: 2,604, Level: 31 Points: 2,604, Level: 31 Points: 2,604, Level: 31

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikias View Post
I was on the line about the tech package but if i got the manual I had planned on getting it since it offered voice commands. My friends strongly encourage the manual. They think it is more fun to drive. I have found that I miss my right hand and left foot doing things after I practiced with my friend. I like to fidget so that could be good for me. I think it might help me from zoning out out as well. I will some times drive and miss a turn just because I was enjoying the ride and in my own little head space.
wowwww now. what are you doing with your right hand while driving? hahaha jk

Honestly, driving manual trans is more engaging, but once you get used to shifting and driving, it's possible to start zoning out like you would when driving automatic. This is more true when you're already at top speed i the final gear and you're just driving.

i prefer manual transmission over auto. I feel more connected to the car when driving stick. It does make it slightly tougher to do other things while actively driving (changing gears etc) but IMO, it's a built in "safety" feature. Just wait till you get into 5th/6th then do whatever you want to do.

It sounds like you might be making this decision based on your friend's input. Since this is your car, and since you are already on the fence (enough to open this thread), I think you personally want the automatic more than the manual trans. Like others have said, the 3's automatic transmission is good and allows you to pretend to drive like a manual transmission.

Last edited by jwok; 02-10-2014 at 05:27 PM.
post #13 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 05:28 PM
vgb
Points: 2,699, Level: 31 Points: 2,699, Level: 31 Points: 2,699, Level: 31
Activity: 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwok View Post

Honestly, driving manual trans is more engaging, but once you get used to shifting and driving, it's possible to start zoning out like you would when driving automatic. This is more true when you're already at top speed i the final gear and you're just driving.

i prefer manual transmission over auto. I feel more connected to the car when driving stick. It does make it slightly tougher to do other things while actively driving (changing gears etc) but IMO, it's a built in "safety" feature. Just wait till you get into 5th/6th then do whatever you want to do.

It sounds like you might be making this decision based on your friend's input. Since this is your car, and since you are already on the fence (enough to open this thread), I think you personally want the automatic more than the manual trans. Like others have said, the 3's automatic transmission is good and allows you to pretend to drive like a manual transmission.
It you want the auto, (if possible) buy one of the 2.5L T or GT , rather than one of the i trims. They are nice. Read my earlier posts in other threads.

----------------------------------------------------------------
2014 Mazda 3iGT / MT: Pirelli Cinturato P7 tires, tint
1998 BMW M3 / MT: Dinan Stage 2
----------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 06:43 PM
OrangeVirus1
Banned

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwok View Post

This is true, I zone out driving my manual and sometimes I'll be like whoa whoa da fuq when did I get in 6th?
post #15 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:20 PM
DomonationsMZ3
Points: 4,530, Level: 42 Points: 4,530, Level: 42 Points: 4,530, Level: 42
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Would have gotten a manual if it were available at the time i wanted the car. Now my left foot is so lazy. Good think Mazda`s sport mode auto is fun.

Also, its cheaper to repair and replace a manual transmission than a complicated expensive automatic. Not to mention a manual is easier to maintain.

MaZDA 3s Touring Hatch - Snowflake White Pearl - Nano Fusion Paint Protection - Vled 21 LED platinum turn signals - Saikou Michi OCC - Mazda3 OEM Aero- Bilstein B6 - 3M Dinoc CF wrapped chrome front chin trim - CS axle-back - CS STB - TRS Morimoto Type Z LED Mazda Foglights - Orange Virus Tuned

人馬一体

Last edited by DomonationsMZ3; 02-10-2014 at 07:26 PM.
post #16 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:58 PM
pcurve
Points: 3,219, Level: 35 Points: 3,219, Level: 35 Points: 3,219, Level: 35
Activity: 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

If you're young, and you're thinking about driving manual, just go for it.

It's possible that if you buy manual, you'll regret it. But only until you get used to it and start enjoying it. If you truly hate it, then you can always get rid of it.

On the other hand, f you buy automatic, you may regret it for the entire ownership of the car. But you won't regret it enough to want to get rid of it for a manual.

Does that make sense?
post #17 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:39 AM
Hombre
Points: 3,020, Level: 33 Points: 3,020, Level: 33 Points: 3,020, Level: 33
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomonationsMZ3 View Post
Would have gotten a manual if it were available at the time i wanted the car. Now my left foot is so lazy. Good think Mazda`s sport mode auto is fun.

Also, its cheaper to repair and replace a manual transmission than a complicated expensive automatic. Not to mention a manual is easier to maintain.
A gearbox is about the last thing that fails on a Mazda, not really an argument pro manual.
post #18 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:05 AM
DomonationsMZ3
Points: 4,530, Level: 42 Points: 4,530, Level: 42 Points: 4,530, Level: 42
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
A gearbox is about the last thing that fails on a Mazda, not really an argument pro manual.
That's good to know as this is my first Mazda I owned.

MaZDA 3s Touring Hatch - Snowflake White Pearl - Nano Fusion Paint Protection - Vled 21 LED platinum turn signals - Saikou Michi OCC - Mazda3 OEM Aero- Bilstein B6 - 3M Dinoc CF wrapped chrome front chin trim - CS axle-back - CS STB - TRS Morimoto Type Z LED Mazda Foglights - Orange Virus Tuned

人馬一体
post #19 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 08:47 AM
BearlyHere
Points: 11,896, Level: 71 Points: 11,896, Level: 71 Points: 11,896, Level: 71
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

This thread is kind of a non-starter. Your asking a bunch of car enthusiast on a Mazda enthusiast website which they prefer...did you think you'd get a different result?
I like autos because they keep my hands free. When I get frisky or find a particularly nice zoomy road, I enjoy the paddle shifters....but I'm the exception. I've owned both but like to not think too much about driving after a long day at work.
Plus it's harder to text and drive in a manual.

JK

2017 Mazda 3 GT Five Door

White Pearl Mica w/ matching 5 pc. Aero Kit
Side Window Deflectors / Tint
Bumperguard / Doorsil Guard
Cargo Tray & Net / LED inside and out
Debadged in favor of AXELA & GT / Evil M (back & front)
Gun Metal Gray Powder Coat Rims / Michelin Pilot Sport AS3
JBR Filter
post #20 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Nikias
Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearlyHere View Post
This thread is kind of a non-starter. Your asking a bunch of car enthusiast on a Mazda enthusiast website which they prefer...did you think you'd get a different result?
I like autos because they keep my hands free. When I get frisky or find a particularly nice zoomy road, I enjoy the paddle shifters....but I'm the exception. I've owned both but like to not think too much about driving after a long day at work.
Plus it's harder to text and drive in a manual.

JK
Well its a funny thing I have always wanted a manual. I was all set on getting one and the more I thought about it the worse it got. I had my parents come out and look at a couple of cars with me and they really liked the mazda but they gave me a bunch of reasons to get an automatic. So now when im' driving I have been using the sport mode. It seems pretty good for adjusting and the more I use it the more I want a real manual. Then I hit a point where the sun is in my eyes or im sitting on the hill I go up for work and worry that it might be more of a pain than a pleasure. I like to drive. I prefer to go on road trips than fly out to places. When I get out to the mountains it has been fun going up and down the winding ways. I really just want to feel the zoom zoom when I drive. I think the manual will help aid in that fun feeling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nikias For This Useful Post:
abcdsnutz (11-12-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
auto , manual

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode