Revolution Member
Points: 5,560, Level: 48 Points: 5,560, Level: 48 Points: 5,560, Level: 48
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikias View Post
Well its a funny thing I have always wanted a manual. I was all set on getting one and the more I thought about it the worse it got. I had my parents come out and look at a couple of cars with me and they really liked the mazda but they gave me a bunch of reasons to get an automatic. So now when im' driving I have been using the sport mode. It seems pretty good for adjusting and the more I use it the more I want a real manual. Then I hit a point where the sun is in my eyes or im sitting on the hill I go up for work and worry that it might be more of a pain than a pleasure. I like to drive. I prefer to go on road trips than fly out to places. When I get out to the mountains it has been fun going up and down the winding ways. I really just want to feel the zoom zoom when I drive. I think the manual will help aid in that fun feeling.
Ill make the decision for you.

Get the manual.

2014 PRHT Crystal White Pearl Club (MT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 01:49 PM
pcurve
Points: 3,219, Level: 35 Points: 3,219, Level: 35 Points: 3,219, Level: 35
Activity: 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
Ill make the decision for you.

Get the manual.

Yep sounds like you want the manual. Don't let your parents talk you out of it.
post #23 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:26 PM
oldman
Points: 3,959, Level: 40 Points: 3,959, Level: 40 Points: 3,959, Level: 40
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVirus1 View Post
I have been told that it puts additional wear on the snychros. The reason why is that each gears synchros are sized specifically to shift to the next gear, and they optimize the shift with the RPM of the main shaft in the transmission. so for 2nd gear, the synchros are spinning at the correct speed and matching the main shaft to make an easy transition to 3rd gear. When you go from 2nd gear to 4th gear, The 4th gear synchro has to slow the main shaft down really really quickly to match the engine RPM and it causes un-necessary wear. You may not even feel it happen, and the shift may feel smooth, but it's happening. Imagine you're in 3rd gear at 5500 RPM and you shift to 6th gear and your RPM drops to 1500 RPM. That synchro just did ALL the work in matching the engine RPM to the main shaft. that's 4000RPM of momentum that has to be stopped in less than 1 second. Instead of a 5th to 6th shift where it may be 500 rpm.
as far as I've been told.

Think of it this way. If an engine is spinning 500 RPM and you have to stop it with your hand it's going to be pretty damn difficult. Now imagine you have to stop one going 4000RPM. it's probably going to rip your arm off. your synchro takes that abuse when you skip.
Then somebody needs to tell this to Mazda, because the shift nanny on the digital tach is constantly trying to tell me to do this. I constantly see it telling me to shift from 2->4 or even 2->5 for example. 2 or even 3 or 4 gear upshift recommendations are the norm from the nanny.

Seriously, you said it yourself, the real problem is the RPM change, not the difference in gears. If you are matching RPMs correctly for your intended gear and speed, then the previous gear is irrelevant. So, skip around to whatever gear you like, just make the change properly and have the car at the correct RPM for your intended gear and speed.

Just allow yourself some time to get the feel of the car at different speeds and gears and you'll be able to shift smoothly into your desired gear at any appropriate speed with no stress at all to the tranny components.

Mike
2014 Mazda 3 iTouring HB MT Snowflake White Pearl
The Following User Says Thank You to oldman For This Useful Post:
Changedsoul (04-01-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:33 PM
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
There are only two reasons to buy a manual - you like to shift gears and it is cheaper.
Sorry, you missed the most important reason:

My wife hates automatics and won't let me buy a car with one.

Also, bonus reason:

Fewer people will ask to borrow your car because they can't drive a stick...

Mike
post #25 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Izalco
Points: 1,915, Level: 26 Points: 1,915, Level: 26 Points: 1,915, Level: 26

I concur with everyone here. Get the manual.

Think about it. I'm sure you wouldn't think after driving the manual..." I should have gotten the auto."

But go with your gut tells you... and by what you say all signs point to MT.
post #26 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 03:02 PM
deepblue3
Points: 3,323, Level: 35 Points: 3,323, Level: 35 Points: 3,323, Level: 35
Activity: 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

can you manual drivers smoothly downshift to 2nd for a corner while slowing down from a very high speed?
I found it very hard to do in my 2 previous manual cars. The synchros in 2nd just didn't like working to match high rpms in order to get in gear smoothly. As a result, I found I can actually drive better with an auto with paddle shifters. The only smooth way I found to be able to downshift to 2nd while traveling at high speed and at the same time slowing down for a corner is to double-clutch downshift, that is clutch-in, neutral, clutch-out, blip the throttle to bring rpms up to match speed for 2nd gear, clutch-in, put into 2nd and quickly clutch-out before rpms fall. Now, trying to do that while braking for a corner is extremely hard and I almost never succeed. So what I end up doing is slow down a little early to like 45mph and do all of the above while getting off the brake to blip the throttle, then get back on the brakes after I finish downshifting into 2nd smoothly.

So you can see why I can brake and downshift for corner entry and accelerate out of corners much better with paddle shifters.

p.s. I *could* just put the car in neutral while entering the corner and not shift into 2nd until I'm ready to get on the throttle *but* I very much like to use engine braking as a way to control speed without feathering the brakes so it's more desirable to get into the low gear before entering the corner.

Last edited by deepblue3; 02-11-2014 at 03:05 PM.
post #27 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 03:22 PM
OrangeVirus1
Banned

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

guys guys guys. transmissions are over rated. just hook the engine up directly to the wheel.
post #28 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 06:41 PM
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue3 View Post
can you manual drivers smoothly downshift to 2nd for a corner while slowing down from a very high speed?
I found it very hard to do in my 2 previous manual cars. The synchros in 2nd just didn't like working to match high rpms in order to get in gear smoothly. As a result, I found I can actually drive better with an auto with paddle shifters. The only smooth way I found to be able to downshift to 2nd while traveling at high speed and at the same time slowing down for a corner is to double-clutch downshift, that is clutch-in, neutral, clutch-out, blip the throttle to bring rpms up to match speed for 2nd gear, clutch-in, put into 2nd and quickly clutch-out before rpms fall. Now, trying to do that while braking for a corner is extremely hard and I almost never succeed. So what I end up doing is slow down a little early to like 45mph and do all of the above while getting off the brake to blip the throttle, then get back on the brakes after I finish downshifting into 2nd smoothly.

So you can see why I can brake and downshift for corner entry and accelerate out of corners much better with paddle shifters.

p.s. I *could* just put the car in neutral while entering the corner and not shift into 2nd until I'm ready to get on the throttle *but* I very much like to use engine braking as a way to control speed without feathering the brakes so it's more desirable to get into the low gear before entering the corner.
I guess it depends on what you consider "high speed". 45 mph? 50? 65?

Not sure I've ever had to go from highway speeds to a sharp turn needing a 2 gear downshift except for on the track. I did ok with that in a Miata. Not great though. On the street, at legal speeds, sure, a smooth downshift to 2nd through a 90 degree turn from 45 or 50 is totally doable. From higher speeds, maybe not as much, but I think I've got other problems if I'm approaching an intersection at 60-70+ for a turn requiring 2nd gear for its exit. (Usually the problems would involve law enforcement ) So, not too worried about that scenario; as, I won't be doing that.

The only REAL reason for picking a transmission is whichever one you like better. That's it. Everything else is just a rationalization IMHO.

Mike
post #29 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 06:59 PM
worth_fixing
Points: 2,236, Level: 28 Points: 2,236, Level: 28 Points: 2,236, Level: 28
Activity: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Then somebody needs to tell this to Mazda, because the shift nanny on the digital tach is constantly trying to tell me to do this. I constantly see it telling me to shift from 2->4 or even 2->5 for example. 2 or even 3 or 4 gear upshift recommendations are the norm from the nanny.

Seriously, you said it yourself, the real problem is the RPM change, not the difference in gears. If you are matching RPMs correctly for your intended gear and speed, then the previous gear is irrelevant. So, skip around to whatever gear you like, just make the change properly and have the car at the correct RPM for your intended gear and speed.

Just allow yourself some time to get the feel of the car at different speeds and gears and you'll be able to shift smoothly into your desired gear at any appropriate speed with no stress at all to the tranny components.
If you revv-match, you're not doing any harm to your synchros. Also, shifting hard (grabbing your shift stick and jamming it in gear) is bad for synchros. If you give a little gas between shift, you not only save your clutch, you save your synchros, as the input and output shafts of your trans gear trees will be turning at roughly the same speeds. The synchros are there to adjust the speed of the input shaft to synchronize it with the output shaft. If there is little to no synchronizing to do, there is little wear to be had.

Reversely, as OrangeVirus1 put it, if you are constantly pulling shift with large differences in rpm and you don't compensate with the throttle, it will take a toll on your synchromesh.

My $0.02.

Warm regards,

James

2014 Mazda3 Sport GS 2.0L Skyactiv 6MT Conveniance+Moonroof - Aluminum Metallic Mica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to worth_fixing For This Useful Post:
Pouyan (02-11-2014)
post #30 of 491 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Pouyan
Points: 2,510, Level: 30 Points: 2,510, Level: 30 Points: 2,510, Level: 30

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I usually like the manual, however, we are talking about a really good auto here, I got the S model so no option for me, and since I bought it for daily use, I think auto works better for a long term.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
auto , manual

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode