Hatchback or Sedan? - Page 3 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
View Poll Results: Which version do you prefer?
Hatchback 977 65.44%
Sedan 516 34.56%
Voters: 1493. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 375 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 11:49 PM
OvrSteer
Points: 3,154, Level: 34 Points: 3,154, Level: 34 Points: 3,154, Level: 34
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The front blind spots for me are much more troubling than to the rear. The rear view mirror really ought to be much higher up, and the fat A-pillars necessitated by rollover standards aren't helping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 375 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 03:30 AM
lowincash
Points: 12,177, Level: 72 Points: 12,177, Level: 72 Points: 12,177, Level: 72
Activity: 65%
Activity: 65% Activity: 65% Activity: 65%

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
What I am curious is the hatch's rear window visibility because in my sedan its a pain backing into spaces due to the height of the rear seatback/bench;shelf parcel/angle of rear window. I am thinking the hatch may be easier to navigate into a spot when reverse parking.
I think rear visibility is worse on the hatch than the sedans because the pillars in the back are pretty thick. My previous hatch had horrible visibility so I'm probably used to it lol However, with the back up camera and decent size side mirrors, backing into a parking spot is not a problem.

Thing I noticed is when I had a sedan long time ago, I would always have a hard time gauging how much space I have left in the back when backing up or parallel parking. When I thought I was very close, I go out and look and I still had a couple feet space or so. With a hatch, pretty much if it's close by your rear window then it's pretty close to the car behind you haha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2014 sGT Hatchback
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

| GV/Cronos/Autoexe Lip Kit | MV-Tuning Eyelids | Enkei TS10 | Pirelli Cinturato P7 ASP | Photosync Tint | OEM Rear Spoiler | OEM Window Visor | Osram CBI | Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights |
| Black Chrome Vinyl Wrapped Trims | Gloss Black Vinyl Wrapped Rear Valance | LED Interior/Reverse/License/Turn | JBR RSB | JBR Air Filter | Vibrant Resonator |
post #23 of 375 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 11:13 AM
jeremiah
Revolution Member
Points: 5,560, Level: 48 Points: 5,560, Level: 48 Points: 5,560, Level: 48
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowincash View Post
I think rear visibility is worse on the hatch than the sedans because the pillars in the back are pretty thick. My previous hatch had horrible visibility so I'm probably used to it lol However, with the back up camera and decent size side mirrors, backing into a parking spot is not a problem.

Thing I noticed is when I had a sedan long time ago, I would always have a hard time gauging how much space I have left in the back when backing up or parallel parking. When I thought I was very close, I go out and look and I still had a couple feet space or so. With a hatch, pretty much if it's close by your rear window then it's pretty close to the car behind you haha
Ah the trusty back up camera....even better if it has grid line markers. I don't have that on mine, sure would make reverse parking a breeze.

Same here, speaking from the sedan point of view....sometimes I back into the garage and think my rear is to close to the wall but when I get out to check I still have a good amount of footage left.

Thats one thing I miss about my miata, so easy to park. Well that goes for any small car, mini coopers, smart cars, miatas, s2ks, fiats, etc.

The Mazda 3 in my opinion is not such a small car but its not quite a midsize either...for lack of a better description its a "big little car".

My main gripe is the rear window, maybe I should invest into a rear back up camera.

2014 PRHT Crystal White Pearl Club (MT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 375 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 11:45 AM
rvoll
Points: 21,979, Level: 92 Points: 21,979, Level: 92 Points: 21,979, Level: 92
Activity: 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Let me chime in here. Either option is fine. They are both the same cars. There are functional reasons and aesthetic reasons you can use. I chose the hatch because I carry things and that is the better option. I happen to like a mini-crossover look, but that is just personal choice. The sedan is slightly better proportioned and is 4 inches longer -- and you don't have a messy hatch all of the time. If there is no functional need to carry something, then stand back, look at the two side-by-side, and choose. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
post #25 of 375 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 12:32 PM
lowincash
Points: 12,177, Level: 72 Points: 12,177, Level: 72 Points: 12,177, Level: 72
Activity: 65%
Activity: 65% Activity: 65% Activity: 65%

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
Ah the trusty back up camera....even better if it has grid line markers. I don't have that on mine, sure would make reverse parking a breeze.

Same here, speaking from the sedan point of view....sometimes I back into the garage and think my rear is to close to the wall but when I get out to check I still have a good amount of footage left.

Thats one thing I miss about my miata, so easy to park. Well that goes for any small car, mini coopers, smart cars, miatas, s2ks, fiats, etc.

The Mazda 3 in my opinion is not such a small car but its not quite a midsize either...for lack of a better description its a "big little car".

My main gripe is the rear window, maybe I should invest into a rear back up camera.
Backup camera definitely helps and this one does have the lines that shows you the distance and stuff. It just doesn't move as you turn the wheel like some higher end cars.

2014 sGT Hatchback

| GV/Cronos/Autoexe Lip Kit | MV-Tuning Eyelids | Enkei TS10 | Pirelli Cinturato P7 ASP | Photosync Tint | OEM Rear Spoiler | OEM Window Visor | Osram CBI | Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights |
| Black Chrome Vinyl Wrapped Trims | Gloss Black Vinyl Wrapped Rear Valance | LED Interior/Reverse/License/Turn | JBR RSB | JBR Air Filter | Vibrant Resonator |
post #26 of 375 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:50 PM
Pouyan
Points: 2,510, Level: 30 Points: 2,510, Level: 30 Points: 2,510, Level: 30
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I bought the sedan cuz its lighter, has better drag coefficient, cheaper, I kinda liked the sedans look better(back then, now, dont care) and generally hatchbacks can be a bit louder on highway.

If I was shopping now, I think I was leaning more toward hatch Bcuz of practicality. I mean if I choose to buy a TV, with the sedan I need to make a stop at uhaul, or stay under 32inches or so (which is a monitor size these days)
post #27 of 375 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 08:13 PM
stegl
Points: 4,845, Level: 44 Points: 4,845, Level: 44 Points: 4,845, Level: 44
Activity: 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

The 2014 hatch better looking than the 2013 and earlier hatches but we liked the sedan better and went with that. The last fews years the back end was improved with the longer and narrow tail lights make it look much better. Like a tinier butt, as my wife put it. And of course the Soul Red !
post #28 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 01:04 AM
synerg
Points: 3,392, Level: 36 Points: 3,392, Level: 36 Points: 3,392, Level: 36

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

hatchback gets my vote . Its great mazda offers both options and the hatchback doesn't feel like an addon like the others. Only wish they added some buttons like on the sedan(hatch open on keyfob and drivers, plus one click fold down)

2014 Mazda 3 I Grand Touring Hatchback
March 2014
Deep Crystal Blue Mica.
post #29 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Changedsoul
Points: 149, Level: 2 Points: 149, Level: 2 Points: 149, Level: 2
Activity: 44%
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Not that I'm biased or anything, but I do love the hatch. My mom has the m3 gt sedan and sitting both side by side I definitely like the hatch better.
post #30 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:53 PM
So Cal Gal
Points: 491, Level: 9 Points: 491, Level: 9 Points: 491, Level: 9

I like hatches, as my last car was a hatch. I think the only time we really used the cargo space was when we bought a 65" TV and when we hauled a Christmas tree.

However, I believe the sedan got the looks this time around so we chose that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hatchback , sedan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode