Hatchback or Sedan? - Page 38 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
View Poll Results: Which version do you prefer?
Hatchback 1,047 65.48%
Sedan 552 34.52%
Voters: 1599. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #371 of 410 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:51 AM
stevenvillatoro
Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16
Activity: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathol View Post
I don't see any problem with visibility out the rear window, or any problem parking.

Neither do I; no problem at all. Funny story... I had avoided looking at the Mazda3 for years, because I imagined that it would have poor rear visibility. But it's actually very good, especially at the rear flanks which had concerns me most. The rear headrests never impede my line of vision; maybe because I keep my seat raised, in order to ensure the best possible outward field of vision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #372 of 410 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:45 AM
x-ray
Points: 1,005, Level: 17 Points: 1,005, Level: 17 Points: 1,005, Level: 17
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Sedan for me. Don't like the look of hatchbacks at all, unless they're in the lift-back style (because they look like sedans ). I also have no need for the hauling of huge, awkward items. If I'm ever hauling anything, it's usually just groceries and a backpack, if that. Also, like others have mentioned, the sedan is cheaper, gives more privacy/separation from inside the cabin, is more fuel efficient and has slightly better performance.
sc489 likes this.
post #373 of 410 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:52 AM
mONY718
Points: 579, Level: 11 Points: 579, Level: 11 Points: 579, Level: 11
Activity: 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

hatchback, for obvious reasons! :^)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m3sgt2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	199434  
lowincash and Road Trip like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #374 of 410 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:13 PM
Road Trip
Gearhead
Points: 5,541, Level: 47 Points: 5,541, Level: 47 Points: 5,541, Level: 47
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

Garage
That is one sweet looking ride @mONY718 ! Great choice of wheels for that color, beautiful dark tint, and sooooo clean looking!!!
mONY718 likes this.

2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch: Soul Red Metallic with Black interior, manual: Premium Equipment pkg, customized OEM Appearance Pkg; iActivSense Pkg, add'l OEM options.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #375 of 410 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 11:36 AM
mONY718
Points: 579, Level: 11 Points: 579, Level: 11 Points: 579, Level: 11
Activity: 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
That is one sweet looking ride @mONY718 ! Great choice of wheels for that color, beautiful dark tint, and sooooo clean looking!!!
much appreciated! thanks~
post #376 of 410 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 02:00 PM
shifty
Points: 869, Level: 15 Points: 869, Level: 15 Points: 869, Level: 15
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

im actually getting a bit annoyed with the lack of space in the HB. As I mentioned in earlier posts, while I love the look of my HB I had to make adjustments for what I usually kept in my trunk on a daily basis. Along with what is imo a better look its also more practical for much easier big city parking where every single inch counts a lot.

But the general daily storage of the HB is (with seats up and cargo cover on) just really far too tiny. Its got its advantage for someone who may need to carry a bulky item or two that have height to them on a fairly constant basis and will keep the seats down and cover removed.

but really I cant even go to Costco without either folding the seats down or storing stuff in my back seat. Cant fit my golf clubs without doing the same. And then when I fold the seats dwon I have to remove the headrests because otherwise my driver seat has to be kept more forward than I would like it to be when I drive.

The sedans trunk simply has alot more square footage of floor space. It doesn't have the height available that the HB does with the cover off but it has the floor space and that imo is what is more valuable and more practical for the average daily usage. Imo its really only when one has a special need that the HB space may be a better (or the only option) for that person. Other than that I just find the tiny space available in the HB with everything in normal position to be far too tiny and almost ridiculously so.

And another issue as for a large item is that the sedan has mor available length. It lacks of course in available height but often times our large items are a length issue and not necessarily a height issue. With the rear seats folded the sedan has more inches of length from the rear of the car to the rear of the front seats. Like for example a couple longer pairs of skis perhaps. Cant fit them in the HB without letting them rest on the center console while the same ones will fit in the sedan without doing that.

I know Im repeating some thing mentioned earlier but honestly the HB really needed more space in what I would consider its trunk area (seats up and cover in place). That area is just much too tiny imo. About the only thing its good for is the average trip to the grocery store. Anything other than that and especially if one (like me) has some things that tend to live in the trunk, its just not very practical imo. Anything extra or anything out of the norm and the seats have to come down and the cover has to come off. I understand for when exceptional items are to be stored but this shouldn't be the case for just about any or most all extra items like after a trip to Costco or perhaps just something extra things from a department store etc.. I mean just about anything other then a few bags of groceries and I have to take the cover off and fold the seats dwon or simply store stuff in the back seat. Just too small and very overrated for what it actually is.
post #377 of 410 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 02:39 PM
bsliv
Points: 2,783, Level: 32 Points: 2,783, Level: 32 Points: 2,783, Level: 32
Activity: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
im actually getting a bit annoyed with the lack of space in the HB.
I have the hatch too. I agree a few more inches in length would be appreciated. But after living with mine for almost 2 years, I still like the hatch. Except for my 80 lb dog, I live alone. My rear seats are always folded down. The cargo cover is never on. My dog likes it this way.

I bought an appliance at a home improvement store. If not for the hatch I'd have to had paid for a delivery.

I used the hatch to deliver for Amazon for a couple of weeks. I packed boxes to the roof. It would have been impossible to pack that much with a trunk.

My other car is a suv that I've had for 15+ years. The seats are folded down in that too. The dog insists.
Road Trip and M3MX5M3 like this.
post #378 of 410 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:14 PM
M3MX5M3
Points: 1,846, Level: 25 Points: 1,846, Level: 25 Points: 1,846, Level: 25
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

I went with the hatchback 60% for the styling and 40% for the practicality. I am always throwing my bike in the back while others mess around with bike racks and roof racks. My girlfriend bought a sedan a few weeks after I bought mine and boy does she regret not getting the hatch. But in terms of looks I just think there are so many nice looking sedans out there on the market, but there is no nicer looking hatch. The shooting brake look gets me every time. The only thing that I find close to resembling the fine lines of the 3 hatch is the Infiniti FX SUV's.

Check Out My Mazda Focused YouTube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vids:
Unboxing - Borla Exhaust, Injen Intake
Installs - Borla Exhaust, Injen Intake
5 Likes/5 Dislikes
Upgrading the Sport Trim to Look More GT
Painting - Wheels, Chrome Trim, Exhaust
ND Miata Exhaust Sounds
post #379 of 410 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 04:20 PM
Stewie
Points: 412, Level: 8 Points: 412, Level: 8 Points: 412, Level: 8
Activity: 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Sedan, looks better and it's cheaper.

If I wanted more space I would have bought a truck
post #380 of 410 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 05:18 PM
WeatherDan
Points: 2,822, Level: 32 Points: 2,822, Level: 32 Points: 2,822, Level: 32
Activity: 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I was going to say the opposite. Hatchback looks far better than the common sedan style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hatchback , sedan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode