We love Mazda3, but what DON'T you love about it? - Page 2 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
View Poll Results: What DON'T you LOVE about your Mazda3?
No grocery bag hooks in the trunk 132 14.07%
Not enough storage/cubby space 230 24.52%
HD Radio traffic NOT integrated with Navigation 237 25.27%
Navigation load time 83 8.85%
Comically small tachometer on 3i 206 21.96%
Navigation volume, does increase to match music volume 82 8.74%
Road noise 465 49.57%
No air vents or power outlets for the back seats 246 26.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 938. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
smoothmoose
Points: 4,947, Level: 44 Points: 4,947, Level: 44 Points: 4,947, Level: 44
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Good feedback so far. Sorry I am duplicating efforts on another thread. Though I think a poll is a bit more scientific and easily summarizes the results instead trying to read through an entire thread. That said I definitely forgot about a few good ones on the list.

I totally agree with @lowincash about the lack of sunroof auto-close and the cardboard headliner! I also forgot about the liftgate area on the hatchback, it just seems messy with the screws and buttons sticking out. They could have put a plastic cover to clean it up the look a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 06:27 PM
OvrSteer
Points: 3,154, Level: 34 Points: 3,154, Level: 34 Points: 3,154, Level: 34
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Agreed on much of this, but for cars in its class only the Kia has rear air. Not sure about the new Golf/GTI but the Jetta doesn't have them.

Of course, the 3 is very borderline for exceeding both cost and size for its segment. Put it up against a "mid size" competitor and there's enough overlap where lacking in rear A/C vents is at least something to think about...

While most of those complaints are substantive, most of my serious complaints remain COMMAND related. COMMAND is awesome and terrible in equal measure...
post #13 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 03:52 PM
kpatz
Points: 3,303, Level: 35 Points: 3,303, Level: 35 Points: 3,303, Level: 35
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I have an iSport so my car doesn't even have half of the features mentioned in the poll... so I'll limit my items to things that are (or should be):

1. No grocery hooks. Add to that, no good spots to hook bungee cords. When I get liquid chlorine for my pool, I like to use bungee cords to keep the containers upright. In my Audi I could find spots to hook them. In the 3 there aren't many/any.

2. Unlighted door controls. Mentioned many times in many threads.

3. Cheap cloth on seats in iSport. They feel like what you get in a cheap rental.

4. No factory tint, or tint strip at top of windshield.

Other than these semi-minor things, the car is great. I wish it had more power, but I was spoiled with a chipped 1.8T before. Gas mileage makes up for it.
Toneloc427 likes this.

2014 3i Sport, 6-speed Manual, Jet Black Mica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:25 PM
oldman
Points: 4,303, Level: 41 Points: 4,303, Level: 41 Points: 4,303, Level: 41
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

None of these truly bother me. I don't have tech so 3 of them don't apply to me. The only one I could vote for is the small tach on the i models. I think they should have used the analog tach and digital speedo combo from the s models on all of them. But what do I know?

I guess I could have voted for storage because it bugs me that they only gave us a pocket behind the passenger seat. Did they really save millions of dollars denying my second kid a place to keep his travel stuff?

Anyway, that's some really minor stuff. I just can't find fault with much else. There are compromises for everything. Those are the only two nits I wish Mazda had changed when they designed the new 3.

The one other thing that bugs me most, but isn't in the list above is that the advanced safety and efficiency features are bundled with expensive upgrades like leather seats, upgraded stereo, automatic AC, bigger engine, etc... You should not need to purchase automatic AC to get a backup camera, or have to pay for leather seats to get the lane departure warning system.

You can explain about how Mazda has to save money because they are small, blah, blah, blah. I don't care. Regardless, it smacks of putting profits above safety. It didn't stop me from buying the car, but it is the one thing that came close to stopping me. For all the reasons I hated my 2004 Toyota Prius that I sold to buy the 3, at least they had a trim available that was basically the base car with all the optional safety features and nothing else.

Mike
2017 Mazda 3 GT HB AT Snowflake White Pearl
(Premium, i-ACTIVSENSE packages)
post #15 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:28 PM
Lbear
Points: 6,087, Level: 50 Points: 6,087, Level: 50 Points: 6,087, Level: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
You should not need to purchase automatic AC to get a backup camera, or have to pay for leather seats to get the lane departure warning system.
The lane departure is available with cloth seats on the i Touring w/tech.

The i Sport is the base/stripped down model. Years ago base models did NOT even have A/C or power windows, sometimes they didn't even have power steering or power brakes.

Today's car are more fully loaded even in the base models.

All the safety gadgets cost money and it starts to add up. Your base model i Sport is 100x safer than any base car of 10 years ago. The ABS, side impact, air bags, safety cage, disc brakes, etc, was unheard of 10 years ago in a base model.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lbear For This Useful Post:
Airfleet (06-20-2014)
post #16 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 10:04 PM
Airfleet
Points: 5,916, Level: 49 Points: 5,916, Level: 49 Points: 5,916, Level: 49

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
You should not need to purchase automatic AC to get a backup camera, or have to pay for leather seats to get the lane departure warning system.
And then I know other people that would say, I don't what LDW or a camera on my base unit, give me a better stereo and speakers. It's a balancing act for all car manufacturers. Some people want more goodies in their base unit, others want more safety features. In any case, they're ALL profit driven and try to stay competitive with one another. Mazda's no exception, nor is Toyota.
post #17 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
smoothmoose
Points: 4,947, Level: 44 Points: 4,947, Level: 44 Points: 4,947, Level: 44

I think Mazda is definitely trying to go upscale and to compare their offerings to VW is a fair comparison I think, especially with the higher end trims like the Grand Touring. I also know VW very well, as my wife works for them and I have driven most of their cars Golf, GTI, Beetle, Jetta, Jetta Hybrid (was my wife's company car), Passat, CC, Tiguan, Toureg...most in different trims...though most of the demo cars are of higher end trims. I think the only one I didn't drive is the EOS.

There's definitely more attention to details in the VW, I think even if you compare VW mid-level trims to the GT trim with Mazda3. I was close to buying the 2014 VW GTI Wolfsburg which I think would have been almost $3000 LESS than the M3S GT that I bought instead. The previous VW 2.0T engine was fun, the new 2.0T engine in the 2015 model year is utterly exhillerating (plenty of low end torque and no turbo lag at all), but I ended up getting the M3 since the VW Infotainment system is a joke (both the previous gen 2010-2014 and the brand new MK7 2015), better gas mileage, and better overall tech features on the M3.

That's said, the little details, grocery bag hooks, lined glove box and sunglass storage, better headliner material, ski access panel in the rear middle seat, sunroof mesh screen (vs. cardboard on M3), clean liftgate access button make the VW feel more refined. The M3 feels very refined when you are in the drivers seat and just carving the road...but it still has a little work to do to refine the overall "commuting" experience.

There are not really gripes and for a first model year on a completely new platform Mazda has done a bang up job with the M3. When I look at the available features top down, there's not much more "headline" big ticket features they need to add for the upcoming model years. It might actually be wise for them incorporate some of these finer levels of refinement I'm talking about.
post #18 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 09:34 AM
D-Jack
Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39
Activity: 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

Do things like grocery bag holders and ski access panels actually drive people to buy one car and not the other? It perplexes me absolutely none of these thing were in my mind when buying a car then again I am not used to luxury items in general. As long as it handles good and has enough power to pass I just want power windows, door locks, and AC. The rest are useless features that will be prone to breaking after the warranty runs out anyway.

CS: SRI with airbox, CS: exhaust with high flow cat, CS: mid chassis brace, CS: RMM insterts, D2 Racing Coilovers, JBR .250 RSB, Dynotronoics Tune "scrapped", OV Tune "in progress", Suntek CXP tint, LED interior lights, JNC 013 17x8 +35 wheels, Cooper zeon rs3-s tires
post #19 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 09:35 AM
redav
Points: 1,248, Level: 19 Points: 1,248, Level: 19 Points: 1,248, Level: 19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

No grocery bag hooks in the trunk - I've never used such a thing.
Not enough storage/cubby space - Hasn't been a problem for me.
HD Radio traffic NOT integrated with Navigation - IDK, I haven't used nav, so I can't say what difference it would make. However, I am bothered that the traffic map for my area doesn't include the freeway I use most often.
Navigation load time - Sure, could be better
Comically small tachometer on 3i - No idea.
Navigation volume, does increase to match music volume - No idea.
Road noise - Noise is definitely louder than some other cars, but it hasn't bothered me. Maybe it is a matter of expectations.
No air vents or power outlets for the back seats - Meh.

Some items I don't love:
Visibility is poor due to small rear windows, high belt line, and high hood.
Driver's door armrest isn't in a great position (low & doesn't extend far enough back.
Some of the audio controls could be better.
post #20 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 09:43 AM
dudemanbro
Points: 2,736, Level: 31 Points: 2,736, Level: 31 Points: 2,736, Level: 31

Did they really remove a lot of those things? I have a 2010 and it has grocery hooks (that support like 2 lbs, pretty worthless) and it has vents for the rear seats, at least on the floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
love , mazda3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode