We love Mazda3, but what DON'T you love about it? - Page 3 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
View Poll Results: What DON'T you LOVE about your Mazda3?
No grocery bag hooks in the trunk 132 14.07%
Not enough storage/cubby space 230 24.52%
HD Radio traffic NOT integrated with Navigation 237 25.27%
Navigation load time 83 8.85%
Comically small tachometer on 3i 206 21.96%
Navigation volume, does increase to match music volume 82 8.74%
Road noise 465 49.57%
No air vents or power outlets for the back seats 246 26.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 938. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 01:02 PM
username375
Points: 317, Level: 6 Points: 317, Level: 6 Points: 317, Level: 6
Activity: 40%
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
I changed tires from the stock Dunlops and the road noise was reduced significantly, especially on smoother roads. However, that's no excuse for Mazda choosing inferior tires just because they could get them cheaper.
But any 'enhancements' usually is passed as cost to customers.
Mazda doesn't have Toyota's component bulk purchase power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 01:05 PM
username375
Points: 317, Level: 6 Points: 317, Level: 6 Points: 317, Level: 6
Activity: 40%
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%

As for Road noise...has any1 measured it against the 1st gen Mazda 3??

Even music couldn't drown the noise emanating from the ground up. LOL!
post #23 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Airfleet
Points: 5,916, Level: 49 Points: 5,916, Level: 49 Points: 5,916, Level: 49
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudemanbro View Post
Did they really remove a lot of those things? I have a 2010 and it has grocery hooks (that support like 2 lbs, pretty worthless) and it has vents for the rear seats, at least on the floor.
It still has floor vents, at least on the GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 01:45 PM
oldman
Points: 4,303, Level: 41 Points: 4,303, Level: 41 Points: 4,303, Level: 41
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbear View Post
The lane departure is available with cloth seats on the i Touring w/tech.
Maybe in your parts it is, but only the sGT (with standard leather seats) had an option package that included the lane departure warning system when I bought my iTouring back in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbear View Post
The i Sport is the base/stripped down model. Years ago base models did NOT even have A/C or power windows, sometimes they didn't even have power steering or power brakes.

Today's car are more fully loaded even in the base models.

All the safety gadgets cost money and it starts to add up. Your base model i Sport is 100x safer than any base car of 10 years ago. The ABS, side impact, air bags, safety cage, disc brakes, etc, was unheard of 10 years ago in a base model.
I "understand" all that. It doesn't mean I have to "like" it. It bothers me that safety is bundled with luxury. It may be what Mazda has to do, but it still smacks of profits ahead of safety in my book.

Mike
2017 Mazda 3 GT HB AT Snowflake White Pearl
(Premium, i-ACTIVSENSE packages)
post #25 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 01:51 PM
TheBobmanNH
Points: 3,514, Level: 37 Points: 3,514, Level: 37 Points: 3,514, Level: 37
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

"Profits ahead of safety" is a really silly way to look at it. It's "making a car you can afford" ahead of safety. If Mazda included every safety feature taht a Mercedes S-Class has (including all the auto-stop collision detection and antoher 27 airbags) the car would cost as much as a Mercedes S-Class. Shit costs money. They're not going to spend millions in R&D to give cars away, and you aren't going to buy a car if it costs twice as much as it does. Entry-level cars like the 3 aren't exactly huge profit machines for anyone in the chain so you really can't think of it that way at all.
fzbob likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBobmanNH For This Useful Post:
fzbob (01-20-2015)
post #26 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 02:02 PM
Airfleet
Points: 5,916, Level: 49 Points: 5,916, Level: 49 Points: 5,916, Level: 49

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I have LDW and to be honest, the best lane departure is still you eyes and attention to the road. Same holds true with the FOW system. If you're too busy doing other things besides driving the car, it may be a "must have" safety feature that saves you from a collision.
fzbob likes this.
post #27 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 02:15 PM
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfleet View Post
And then I know other people that would say, I don't what LDW or a camera on my base unit, give me a better stereo and speakers. It's a balancing act for all car manufacturers. Some people want more goodies in their base unit, others want more safety features. In any case, they're ALL profit driven and try to stay competitive with one another. Mazda's no exception, nor is Toyota.
That's my point; don't bundle safety and luxury. Let customers choose one or the other or both. Don't cram them all together and force customer to buy everything, even if they don't want it. Why can't an iGT owner purchase the radar cruise control? Does it only work with the 2.5l engine?

I get it. Mazda wants to make money. They think this is the best way to do that. I'm sure they know better than me. I don't really care about that. I'm the customer. I know what I want. I want want a backup camera, and I don't want to pay for a navigation system to get one.

Anyway, the topic was "what DON'T you love" about the new Mazda3. That's pretty much the main thing for me.

Mike
post #28 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
smoothmoose
Points: 4,947, Level: 44 Points: 4,947, Level: 44 Points: 4,947, Level: 44

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfleet View Post
I have LDW and to be honest, the best lane departure is still you eyes and attention to the road. Same holds true with the FOW system. If you're too busy doing other things besides driving the car, it may be a "must have" safety feature that saves you from a collision.
Agree 100% here. I have friend that is looking for all these safety features, because he likes to party hard and then on 2 hrs sleep do a 3hr commute the next day...and also likes to text and drive. I told him, only a full self-driving car will save him. Otherwise cut the stupidity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smoothmoose For This Useful Post:
JWhite (08-31-2014), rolanie3 (06-23-2014)
post #29 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
smoothmoose
Points: 4,947, Level: 44 Points: 4,947, Level: 44 Points: 4,947, Level: 44

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudemanbro View Post
Did they really remove a lot of those things? I have a 2010 and it has grocery hooks (that support like 2 lbs, pretty worthless) and it has vents for the rear seats, at least on the floor.
I'll didn't notice the floor vents in the rear, but I will double check when I'm back in town.

Lack of grocery hooks is baffling, especially if it was in the previous generation...and I have pretty much the top of the line S GT trim. I'm sure there are many single guys in their 20's on this board that have not bought their own groceries ever, and thus don't care about this feature. If you buy groceries more than once every two weeks and you still like to corner, while doing so, they are a GREAT feature. As a result, I am still dreading next week, when my wife joins me in our new city and final gets to see the new car in person! Her: "No grocery hooks...where's the storage space to put my makeup??...What were you thinking??"...face palm moment...Me: "But honey, it corners well,it a has backup camera and the keyless push-button start/stop you wanted...did I mention it corners well? Wish me luck guys...
post #30 of 757 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 02:37 PM
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
"Profits ahead of safety" is a really silly way to look at it. It's "making a car you can afford" ahead of safety. If Mazda included every safety feature taht a Mercedes S-Class has (including all the auto-stop collision detection and antoher 27 airbags) the car would cost as much as a Mercedes S-Class. Shit costs money. They're not going to spend millions in R&D to give cars away, and you aren't going to buy a car if it costs twice as much as it does. Entry-level cars like the 3 aren't exactly huge profit machines for anyone in the chain so you really can't think of it that way at all.
No, it is a completely accurate way to look at it. It is not "silly" at all. I'm not saying force people to buy the safety equipment. I've got no problem with Mazda offering the basic SV, Sport and Touring models. It's after that point that I have a complaint. They bundle the "optional" safety features with "luxury" items. If you want the smart city braking feature, you've basically got to purchase everything. Bigger engine, tires, upgraded stereo, leather seats, etc...

The only reason Mazda is doing this is for profits. Period. If they thought for a moment they could make more money by offering a package of just safety features, they would do it in a heartbeat. Instead that believe folks who want the safety features will buy the luxury as well. I am sure they are right. But valid reasoning doesn't change the facts. They are putting profits ahead of safety. They are telling us that if you want the safety features, we need to purchase the luxury items as well; so that, they can maximize profits. I understand it. I just don't like it. Which is what this thread is all about.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
love , mazda3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode