We love Mazda3, but what DON'T you love about it? - Page 69 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
View Poll Results: What DON'T you LOVE about your Mazda3?
No grocery bag hooks in the trunk 132 14.07%
Not enough storage/cubby space 230 24.52%
HD Radio traffic NOT integrated with Navigation 237 25.27%
Navigation load time 83 8.85%
Comically small tachometer on 3i 206 21.96%
Navigation volume, does increase to match music volume 82 8.74%
Road noise 465 49.57%
No air vents or power outlets for the back seats 246 26.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 938. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #681 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:31 PM
kpatz
Points: 3,303, Level: 35 Points: 3,303, Level: 35 Points: 3,303, Level: 35
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well, "best in class" doesn't mean it doesn't have annoyances such as unlighted window switches. It's an awesome car for the money (which for me is a good thing, since I am firmly in the under-$20k car affordability range), but like every car, it isn't perfect. What is has is what makes it "best in class"... great handling, solid build, comfort and lots of available options you don't see on a lot of cars in this class.

Some things, like the lack of window tint, is common in cheaper cars, and then some things make you wonder, like the unlighted window and unlock/lock switch when every other control in the car IS lighted. Another one is the sedan has remote trunk release but the hatchback doesn't have remote hatch release.

Interestingly, I find the 3 has a good turning radius. My wife's 2006 Mazda6, on the other hand, is horrible in that regard. Making a U-turn is next to impossible in that car.

2014 3i Sport, 6-speed Manual, Jet Black Mica

Last edited by kpatz; 03-10-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #682 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:16 PM
wolstentech
Points: 2,208, Level: 28 Points: 2,208, Level: 28 Points: 2,208, Level: 28
Activity: 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikergeek View Post
2017 GTh here.

Nav volume doesn't adjust with the radio volume. If I've got my music up, you can't hear the nav give directions, but it does dip the sound out, so that's quite annoying.

*The DRLs on models with the Bi-LED lighting system aren't actually DRLs. They're just the headlights and they stay on all the time whether you switch them off or not. So, having "Automatic" headlights is a joke. Having parking lights is a joke. Having that switch at all (except to turn on the fog lights) is a joke.

*There's no interior release for the hatch. I drive to secure government buildings a lot, places where they search your car on the way in. They tell you to open your glove box, hood, center console, and trunk without getting out of the car because they have a method for searching cars that takes like 15 seconds and they do it all day. So when I roll up and have to get out to open the trunk (because they can't find the release button because it's hidden) they get all pissy.

The drive-by-wire gas pedal hinges at the bottom. Every other car I've ever owned has hinged at the top. I'm used to pivoting my heel to go from gas to brake, and doing that means I have to put so much extra force on the gas pedal to push it, it feels like I'm flooring it.
Many of your points are valid and agreed upon by many, especially the window switch complaint, everyone complains about that one. However, I'd like to address the above:

1) For the nav volume, you're right, it doesn't adjust with the radio volume. However, it sounds like you haven't figured out how to adjust it at all; it's independent. You can turn the nav volume way up so it's quite loud. The catch is, it's kinda clunky. You need to wait until it's actually talking to you, and then adjust the volume knob/button.

2) I think what you may be missing here is that the automatic headlights also control the high-beams. (I have the '15 model with bi-xenons so I may be mistaken, but this is how I believe the bi-LEDs should work) In "off" mode, there's no high beams, but pulling the left stalk will give you flash-to-pass. In "auto" mode, pulling the stalk should also give you flash-to-pass, but pushing it forward should put it in auto-high-beam mode, so it'll turn on the high beams when it doesn't see any oncoming headlights or brake lights. In "on" mode (the last setting), it'll let you control the high beams manually. But yeah, I can see why the "off" mode really doesn't make a lot of sense here with the LED highlights also serving as DRLs.

3) There's been lots of complaints about the hatch release. The problem is, can you point to any other hatchback car on the market today that has this mythical interior release? There isn't any. There's been tons of discussions here about this very subject, because Americans keep comparing the hatchback to either 1) sedans or 2) SUVs with automatic liftgates. A hatchback is neither. Hatch doors are very heavy (unlike sedan trunks), and are held up with gas struts instead of torsion rods. There's simply no way to make them open remotely; you could tap into the wires on the hatch-release button and activate that remotely if you want, but it won't help because without lifting the hatch, it'll just re-latch, and the dummies outside still won't be able to lift it open. The only way to "fix" this is to put automatic liftgate openers in, like minivans and SUVs have, but now you need to re-engineer the whole chassis to fit them in.

4) The gas pedal is mounted on the floor because that's how German cars like BMWs are. Race car drivers who drive high-end European cars like BMWs and McLarens do it somehow, and seem to greatly prefer that gas pedal arrangement, so that's what Mazda adopted.
Road Trip likes this.
post #683 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:23 PM
dradernh
Points: 2,800, Level: 32 Points: 2,800, Level: 32 Points: 2,800, Level: 32
Activity: 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

I don't care for the heavy flywheel on our six-speed. Due to its relative lack of response, I've never really learned to rev-match when downshifting. I came to this car from BMWs and Volvos, don't drive it very much (it's the wife's DD), and I'd have to get out and work at it to consistently execute a smooth downshift. It's like I'm a noob all over again.

'15 Soul Red Mazda3 MT s Touring Hatchback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #684 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:35 PM
Road Trip
Gearhead
Points: 5,484, Level: 47 Points: 5,484, Level: 47 Points: 5,484, Level: 47
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I don't care for the heavy flywheel on our six-speed. Due to its relative lack of response, I've never really learned to rev-match when downshifting. I came to this car from BMWs and Volvos, don't drive it very much (it's the wife's DD), and I'd have to get out and work at it to consistently execute a smooth downshift. It's like I'm a noob all over again.
Sorry about that. It is possible that you particular car is not properly adjusted, has some shifting linkage, transmission or clutch issue?

Reason I ask, is that I never before drove a Mazda (2.5L manual) before my one-hour test drive on curvy roads, with tons of upshifts/downshifts. I found it's shifting to be very easy -- requiring no adjustment after the first minute or two of learning its clutch engagement height. Since then I drove my daughter's 2016 Mazda 3 touring (2.0 L manual), and found it also super easy to shift.

Hope you can get your Mazda's shifting issue resolved easily.

2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch: Soul Red Metallic with Black interior, manual: Premium Equipment pkg, customized OEM Appearance Pkg; iActivSense Pkg, add'l OEM options.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #685 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:28 PM
dradernh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
Sorry about that. It is possible that you particular car is not properly adjusted, has some shifting linkage, transmission or clutch issue?
No, it's just the way the car was made, and I have to adjust to a heavy-flywheel car after years of driving cars with lighter and faster-responding flywheels. I'm lazy, and I wish I didn't have to make the effort!

post #686 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:26 PM
sangedemaz
Points: 373, Level: 7 Points: 373, Level: 7 Points: 373, Level: 7
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

NO APPLE CARPLAY!!! wth mazda!??
post #687 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:15 PM
arathol
Points: 3,306, Level: 35 Points: 3,306, Level: 35 Points: 3,306, Level: 35
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
It my understanding that the flywheel is fairly light.....
post #688 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:13 AM
dradernh

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathol View Post
It my understanding that the flywheel is fairly light.....
Maybe you can help me. What I'm experiencing is when pressing the throttle to raise the revs with the clutch disengaged, the motor is slower than I'm used to from other cars to reach the revolutions necessary for a smooth downshift. The result is when I'm rev-matching while downshifting, it's a hit-or-miss proposition - when I hit it, it's clear what a nice-shifting transmission the car has, and when I miss it...well, you know.

I've attributed this to the flywheel being noticeably heavier than in the other cars I've owned, but I don't have any data to back that up. The car has quite a bit less power than in my previous cars. Perhaps that's part of it, too; that is, more power = faster spin-up.

As I say, I really haven't spent the necessary time to fully accustom myself to this aspect of the car. It's certainly not a fault with the car, just something I wish behaved as I'm used to.

post #689 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:40 AM
arathol
Points: 3,306, Level: 35 Points: 3,306, Level: 35 Points: 3,306, Level: 35
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)

It could be because the fly-by-wire throttle response in these cars is not exactly stellar. I have also noticed that the throttle sometimes does odd things. This issue is not nearly as noticeable in the MX 5. The throttle response is a lot sharper and snappier in those. Correcting this is simply a matter of tuning.
BrianU likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to arathol For This Useful Post:
dradernh (03-15-2017)
post #690 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:56 AM
kpatz
Points: 3,303, Level: 35 Points: 3,303, Level: 35 Points: 3,303, Level: 35
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

It's not the flywheel weight, it's the throttle response, tuned to make it feel like a heavy flywheel. Why, I don't know... maybe to reduce the herky-jerky if you suddenly take your foot off the gas, or for fuel economy reasons.

On the hatch release thing, they just need a spring to pop the hatch partway open. No need for an auto open mechanism. Growing up in the 70s we had station wagons with remote hatch (tailgate) release and it did work even with a heavy hatch.

Here's another one (inspired by another recent thread): in the sedan, there's no way to fold the rear seats down from inside the car. The releases are accessible only from the trunk. So if I need to fold a seat down, I have to go to the trunk, pull the release, go back to the back seat and pull it down. And sometimes the seat doesn't move when you pull the release so it just latches again. I find I have to stand on the side of the car between the back seat and the trunk, reach into the trunk and pull the release with one hand while reaching in the back door with the other hand to pull the seat far enough to clear the latch.

Every other sedan I've owned has had a seat fold down release inside the car, but not this one. Plus (as indicated by the other thread), if your battery goes dead there's no way to get into the trunk without requiring tools. I have no idea what Mazda was thinking when they designed that.

2014 3i Sport, 6-speed Manual, Jet Black Mica

Last edited by kpatz; 03-15-2017 at 09:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kpatz For This Useful Post:
dradernh (03-15-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
love , mazda3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode