We love Mazda3, but what DON'T you love about it? - Page 70 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
View Poll Results: What DON'T you LOVE about your Mazda3?
No grocery bag hooks in the trunk 132 14.07%
Not enough storage/cubby space 230 24.52%
HD Radio traffic NOT integrated with Navigation 237 25.27%
Navigation load time 83 8.85%
Comically small tachometer on 3i 206 21.96%
Navigation volume, does increase to match music volume 82 8.74%
Road noise 465 49.57%
No air vents or power outlets for the back seats 246 26.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 938. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #691 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:04 AM
BearlyHere
Points: 11,875, Level: 71 Points: 11,875, Level: 71 Points: 11,875, Level: 71
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathol View Post
It could be because the fly-by-wire throttle response in these cars is not exactly stellar.
It's sooo much better than my wife's CR-V. That has only two throttle responses, meh and wind it up.

2017 Mazda 3 GT Five Door

White Pearl Mica w/ matching 5 pc. Aero Kit
Side Window Deflectors / Tint
Bumperguard / Doorsil Guard
Cargo Tray & Net / LED inside and out
Debadged in favor of AXELA & GT / Evil M (back & front)
Gun Metal Gray Powder Coat Rims / Michelin Pilot Sport AS3
JBR Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:27 PM
SirDuckferd
Points: 238, Level: 4 Points: 238, Level: 4 Points: 238, Level: 4
Activity: 85%
Activity: 85% Activity: 85% Activity: 85%

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

The bottom hinge arrangement does make it easier to perform actual heel and toe (the pedals are to wide for ball and toe) in the manual cars. I greatly prefer this setup over a traditional top-hinge treatment.

As far as the engine having a heavy flywheel feeling... that's partially the result of this being a severely undersquare engine design. It's not exactly a stellar revver and requires a bit more of a throttle dip for rev-matching than a few other engines I'm used to (still better than many turbo engines). There's also rev-hang when you let off the gas, this is for emissions reasons (to extend catalytic converter life) and probably something you don't really feel with a traditional throttle cable setup.
The Following User Says Thank You to SirDuckferd For This Useful Post:
dradernh (03-15-2017)
post #693 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 02:17 PM
dradernh
Points: 2,800, Level: 32 Points: 2,800, Level: 32 Points: 2,800, Level: 32
Activity: 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathol View Post
It could be because the fly-by-wire throttle response in these cars is not exactly stellar. I have also noticed that the throttle sometimes does odd things. This issue is not nearly as noticeable in the MX 5. The throttle response is a lot sharper and snappier in those. Correcting this is simply a matter of tuning.
Now that's something I hadn't considered. This is the first car I've owned with a fly-by-wire throttle, and I hadn't given that difference any thought at all.

You've probably seen the following piece - if not, when searching for information I came across this article where flywheel weight in the ND Miata is discussed: The Mazda Miata's U.S. Engineering Chief on How to Make a Great Miata ? Feature ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDuckferd View Post
As far as the engine having a heavy flywheel feeling... that's partially the result of this being a severely undersquare engine design. It's not exactly a stellar revver and requires a bit more of a throttle dip for rev-matching than a few other engines I'm used to (still better than many turbo engines). There's also rev-hang when you let off the gas, this is for emissions reasons (to extend catalytic converter life) and probably something you don't really feel with a traditional throttle cable setup.
That was the first thing I noticed when rev-matching: it required what felt like an inordinately long press of the throttle to get the revs up where they needed to be. That's what I've struggled with during the twenty or so times I've made the attempt, with the result that I usually overshoot the target.

This discussion has made me eager to get out there and get it nailed down. Thanks, guys!

'15 Soul Red Mazda3 MT s Touring Hatchback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 04:49 PM
Rnbarg
Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
I changed tires from the stock Dunlops and the road noise was reduced significantly, especially on smoother roads. However, that's no excuse for Mazda choosing inferior tires just because they could get them cheaper.
What tires did you get?
post #695 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Rnbarg

HUD - Inconsistent w/Mazda's Own Professed Design Philosophy

This is from a sponsored ad for Mazda developed by Car and Driver that purports to be a news story - in other words right from the horse's mouth.

The Driving Force behind Mazda?s Performance | Car and Driver Blog

"The best performance cars are designed to make it possible for a driver to extract the most out of the machine. This means the seating position is low enough for the driver, not only to help lower the center of gravity but to easily access the controls, see the road, and get all the information he or she needs from the road. It means the steering wheel is perfectly placed next to the shifter or the shift paddles so the driver only has to focus on the road ahead instead of the controls directly in view. It also means the car is balanced in such a way that the driver, like a Japanese archer, has the confidence to push the car."

Please explain to me how the HUD on the dash right in the view of the driver's eyes and with an annoying 3D depth perception advances the stated goal of enabling "the driver only has to focus on the road ahead instead of the controls directly in view."
post #696 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:05 PM
Rnbarg

[quote=hudub;1978866]The only connections I have are 2 usb, sd card for nav and an audio aux port under the entertainment center.
The one power outlet is in the new armrest compartment. So I guess the 2017 is different =/

Aside from the USB ports in this area being woefully and inexpicably underpowered (and unable to keep up w/a modern iPhone), you can't see where they are at night even with the lights on in the car. You must use a flashlight to see them. A really poor design.
lemansbuilder likes this.
post #697 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:16 PM
Rnbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolstentech View Post

3) There's been lots of complaints about the hatch release. The problem is, can you point to any other hatchback car on the market today that has this mythical interior release? There isn't any. There's been tons of discussions here about this very subject, because Americans keep comparing the hatchback to either 1) sedans or 2) SUVs with automatic liftgates. A hatchback is neither. Hatch doors are very heavy (unlike sedan trunks), and are held up with gas struts instead of torsion rods. There's simply no way to make them open remotely; you could tap into the wires on the hatch-release button and activate that remotely if you want, but it won't help because without lifting the hatch, it'll just re-latch, and the dummies outside still won't be able to lift it open. The only way to "fix" this is to put automatic liftgate openers in, like minivans and SUVs have, but now you need to re-engineer the whole chassis to fit them in.
This is absolutely true and I fell into this trap myself. I would never have purchased a hatchback vs. a sedan due to this counterintutive anomaly, even aside from the unfortunate fact of life that Mazda's have excessive road noise to begin with, exacerbated by having a hatchback. So where I end up is that I think the hatchback design itself is flawed as a concept when the expectation, at least among Americans, is that it should open from the inside. I understand there are advantages that are worth it to some peiople, but this gotcha of having to get out of the car to open the hatchback, fiddle around to find a non-visible button (you obviously learn where it is out of habit, but invariably miss it every so often, and then have to give it an assist to open is really unfortunate. I pity the person w/Parkinson's disease or a hand tremor having to negotiate this. And obviously, judging from the postings on this forum, a lot of people don't know about that anomaly of design, even very smart people who have done their homework.

I also dislike that you have to wait several seconds while the hatch slowly opens up. I really miss my trunk just popping open so I can get on w/my packing. I just as soon have the hatch open the same way. Probably in some cars they do.

Last edited by Rnbarg; 03-15-2017 at 05:24 PM.
post #698 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:11 PM
arathol
Points: 3,306, Level: 35 Points: 3,306, Level: 35 Points: 3,306, Level: 35

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnbarg View Post
This is absolutely true and I fell into this trap myself. I would never have purchased a hatchback vs. a sedan due to this counterintutive anomaly, even aside from the unfortunate fact of life that Mazda's have excessive road noise to begin with, exacerbated by having a hatchback. So where I end up is that I think the hatchback design itself is flawed as a concept when the expectation, at least among Americans, is that it should open from the inside. I understand there are advantages that are worth it to some peiople, but this gotcha of having to get out of the car to open the hatchback, fiddle around to find a non-visible button (you obviously learn where it is out of habit, but invariably miss it every so often, and then have to give it an assist to open is really unfortunate. I pity the person w/Parkinson's disease or a hand tremor having to negotiate this. And obviously, judging from the postings on this forum, a lot of people don't know about that anomaly of design, even very smart people who have done their homework.

I also dislike that you have to wait several seconds while the hatch slowly opens up. I really miss my trunk just popping open so I can get on w/my packing. I just as soon have the hatch open the same way. Probably in some cars they do.
This is not a "trap" of any sort. Hatchbacks have been around for a very long time and most people out there are pretty much clued in to how they work. Its not like it is some new thing. I think most of the bugs have been worked out by all the manufacturers who have sold them over the past what, 50 years or more?

There is no "anomaly" either, that is the way it works and the way it has always worked. If you think the whole concept of the hatchback car is flawed as a concept, give Mazda a call and tell them you would like to provide a better design for the hatch.

You keep repeating that you "have to wait several seconds while the hatch opens". What exactly does that mean? The hatch does not open by itself. You do have to lift it. It takes what, all of a half a second to push the button and lift the hatch? As for finding the button, after the first few tries you kind of figure it out......
From the tone of your continued complaining about your car, I'm starting to think maybe you did not really do your homework and you don't just like the car. If you don't like it, get rid of it and get something else.
post #699 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:37 PM
SirDuckferd
Points: 238, Level: 4 Points: 238, Level: 4 Points: 238, Level: 4
Activity: 85%
Activity: 85% Activity: 85% Activity: 85%

I'm honestly surprised by the comment about the lack of self-opening hatch. I know there are power options for things like SUVs (companies are now implementing things like foot-wave to open), but I've never seen it in a hatchback. The lack of a manual interior or remote release is annoying, true, but I don't really understand the complaints about having to lift the door. The sedan trunk doesn't actually always pop open all the way (a point made particularly clear during the snowfall in my area the last couple of days).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnbarg View Post
This is from a sponsored ad for Mazda developed by Car and Driver that purports to be a news story - in other words right from the horse's mouth.

The Driving Force behind Mazda?s Performance | Car and Driver Blog

"The best performance cars are designed to make it possible for a driver to extract the most out of the machine. This means the seating position is low enough for the driver, not only to help lower the center of gravity but to easily access the controls, see the road, and get all the information he or she needs from the road. It means the steering wheel is perfectly placed next to the shifter or the shift paddles so the driver only has to focus on the road ahead instead of the controls directly in view. It also means the car is balanced in such a way that the driver, like a Japanese archer, has the confidence to push the car."

Please explain to me how the HUD on the dash right in the view of the driver's eyes and with an annoying 3D depth perception advances the stated goal of enabling "the driver only has to focus on the road ahead instead of the controls directly in view."
Because you see through it, or at least it's always in your field of view. This is opposed to looking down and close to you at the instrument cluster (which requires not only removing your eyes from the road, but also refocusing your eyes, a big deal as you get older). I do find this a legitimate advantage. The setup in the 2006 Honda Civic Si is a bit weird since it's a "double tier" instrument cluster with the speedo forming a kind of poor man's HUD, but I actually did miss it tremendously when I moved on because I'm not as used to actually having to look down at the dash for certain bits of information anymore (though I shift by feel/sound). I think the HUD in the Mazda 3 is a pretty good option, since it keeps pertinent info in front of you but the rest of the dashboard low and allows you to focus on the road.

That being said, I think Mazda's marketing material is pretty corny and I'm surprised that C&D wrote that line without any sense of sarcasm.

Last edited by SirDuckferd; 03-15-2017 at 08:40 PM.
post #700 of 757 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:20 AM
jason701802
Points: 893, Level: 15 Points: 893, Level: 15 Points: 893, Level: 15
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolstentech View Post
3) There's been lots of complaints about the hatch release. The problem is, can you point to any other hatchback car on the market today that has this mythical interior release? There isn't any. There's been tons of discussions here about this very subject, because Americans keep comparing the hatchback to either 1) sedans or 2) SUVs with automatic liftgates. A hatchback is neither. Hatch doors are very heavy (unlike sedan trunks), and are held up with gas struts instead of torsion rods. There's simply no way to make them open remotely; you could tap into the wires on the hatch-release button and activate that remotely if you want, but it won't help because without lifting the hatch, it'll just re-latch, and the dummies outside still won't be able to lift it open. The only way to "fix" this is to put automatic liftgate openers in, like minivans and SUVs have, but now you need to re-engineer the whole chassis to fit them in.
My old MK4 VW Golf had an interior release for the hatch. I thought this was normal before I got my 3. From a quick search, it appears that VW removed it in the MK6 (2010 in the US) for some reason, but the current generation still has a hatch release on the remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
love , mazda3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode