We love Mazda3, but what DON'T you love about it? - Page 71 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
View Poll Results: What DON'T you LOVE about your Mazda3?
No grocery bag hooks in the trunk 132 14.15%
Not enough storage/cubby space 229 24.54%
HD Radio traffic NOT integrated with Navigation 237 25.40%
Navigation load time 83 8.90%
Comically small tachometer on 3i 204 21.86%
Navigation volume, does increase to match music volume 82 8.79%
Road noise 462 49.52%
No air vents or power outlets for the back seats 245 26.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 933. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #701 of 742 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:45 AM
Studum
Points: 3,331, Level: 35 Points: 3,331, Level: 35 Points: 3,331, Level: 35
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason701802 View Post
My old MK4 VW Golf had an interior release for the hatch. I thought this was normal before I got my 3. From a quick search, it appears that VW removed it in the MK6 (2010 in the US) for some reason, but the current generation still has a hatch release on the remote.
It's not a release in the new one. It's a dedicated unlock. My wife's Kia is the same: It has a hatch button on the remote but it's only function is to unlock only the rear door so it may be opened while the rest of the car doors remain locked. That means you still need to grab the handle and open the rear door after unlocking it, it also means that the rest of the doors then need to be unlocked before you open them.

Mazda has just made it simple in that the hatch lock is on the same circuit on the rear doors: unlock all of the door and the hatch is unlocked as well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. hatchback = 5 door. 5th door being the hatch. Doors have locks and handles and handles must be used to open doors. It's as simple as that.

(Not directed @ jason) If you're coming from a different type of vehicle and this is that big of an issue for you that it would've been a deal breaker then it's on you that you didn't look into it or realize it during test drives or pre-purchase inspections. Mazda has not "trapped" you into a vehicle that you can't open the rear door from the driver's seat.

My wife's Kia can't be opened from the driver's seat
My gen 2 couldn't be opened from the driver's seat
My dad's Subaru can't be opened from the driver's seat
My friend's Nissan Rouge does it... because it has a full lifting mechanism...

It's a hatchback thing, it's the way they work...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #702 of 742 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:27 PM
Rnbarg
Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studum View Post
It's not a release in the new one. It's a dedicated unlock. My wife's Kia is the same: It has a hatch button on the remote but it's only function is to unlock only the rear door so it may be opened while the rest of the car doors remain locked. That means you still need to grab the handle and open the rear door after unlocking it, it also means that the rest of the doors then need to be unlocked before you open them.

Mazda has just made it simple in that the hatch lock is on the same circuit on the rear doors: unlock all of the door and the hatch is unlocked as well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. hatchback = 5 door. 5th door being the hatch. Doors have locks and handles and handles must be used to open doors. It's as simple as that.

(Not directed @ jason) If you're coming from a different type of vehicle and this is that big of an issue for you that it would've been a deal breaker then it's on you that you didn't look into it or realize it during test drives or pre-purchase inspections. Mazda has not "trapped" you into a vehicle that you can't open the rear door from the driver's seat.

My wife's Kia can't be opened from the driver's seat
My gen 2 couldn't be opened from the driver's seat
My dad's Subaru can't be opened from the driver's seat
My friend's Nissan Rouge does it... because it has a full lifting mechanism...

It's a hatchback thing, it's the way they work...
All true except a lot of people don't realize this. Call it lack of due diligence or whatever you want. Times have changed. Many compact SUVs which have hatchback-like doors, incuding the Nissan Rouge have the feature. Many of these small crossovers - CUVs/SUVs have the power liftgate. The difference between what is a CUVs and Hatchbacks are narrowing.

A reasonable, prudent person who was not an expert on cars like many in this forum could easily make this mistake. It's an unfortunate omission. The design is bad for people with Parkinsons, people w/hand tremors, diabled people, it's inconvenient and it's a time waster. It's a crummy design. If that applies to all hatchbacks in the class so be it.

My 2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback with 225 miles on it, which I hated for the noisy ride, the inability to open the hatchback, the stupid inane HUD display and the lack of Carplay was just totalled by the insurance company after a drunk driver hit it while parked. It was totalled because they couldn't find parts for it.

Sayonara Mazda.
post #703 of 742 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:33 PM
Rnbarg
Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathol View Post
This is not a "trap" of any sort. Hatchbacks have been around for a very long time and most people out there are pretty much clued in to how they work. Its not like it is some new thing. I think most of the bugs have been worked out by all the manufacturers who have sold them over the past what, 50 years or more?

There is no "anomaly" either, that is the way it works and the way it has always worked. If you think the whole concept of the hatchback car is flawed as a concept, give Mazda a call and tell them you would like to provide a better design for the hatch.

You keep repeating that you "have to wait several seconds while the hatch opens". What exactly does that mean? The hatch does not open by itself. You do have to lift it. It takes what, all of a half a second to push the button and lift the hatch? As for finding the button, after the first few tries you kind of figure it out......
From the tone of your continued complaining about your car, I'm starting to think maybe you did not really do your homework and you don't just like the car. If you don't like it, get rid of it and get something else.
Just because something has been around a long time doesn't make it great. It's obvious the gap has narrowed considerably between Hatchbacks and small SUVs/CUVs and "crossovers". People can be forgiven for not realizing the difference which is somewhat artificial.

Your are correct that I don't like the car. I guess you can call me lucky because a drunk driver totalled my car while it was parked. It only had 225 miles on it. The reason it was totalled is because critical parts were unavailable from Mazda. So I get a do-over and it won't be Mazda I can assure you. It's been a real learning experience being on this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #704 of 742 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:04 PM
dradernh
Points: 2,501, Level: 30 Points: 2,501, Level: 30 Points: 2,501, Level: 30

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnbarg View Post
My 2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback with 225 miles on it, which I hated for the noisy ride, the inability to open the hatchback, the stupid inane HUD display and the lack of Carplay...
You're fortunate then to be getting out after only 225 miles. At least you'll go forward with some added criteria for selecting your next vehicle. Good luck with it - I'm sure you'll find something more to your liking.

The last vehicle I came to loathe was a late-70s VW Rabbit. The problem with the car was that it wouldn't shift into reverse unless it was already moving backwards. At the time I was living in a very hilly part of San Francisco, so that made the car an extra special joy to own. Cars were so incredibly simpler back then, and most were so much worse than any of today's cars.

Quote:
It's been a real learning experience being on this forum.
Just a suggestion, and you're probably already planning on doing so, but you might look for one or more forums devoted to the next vehicle you're considering and see what the members like and don't like about their vehicles.

'15 Soul Red Mazda3 MT s Touring Hatchback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dradernh; 03-17-2017 at 06:28 PM.
post #705 of 742 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:24 PM
arathol
Points: 2,223, Level: 28 Points: 2,223, Level: 28 Points: 2,223, Level: 28

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Just because something has been around a long time doesn't make it great.
And sometimes things are around a long time because they are hard to improve upon. In the very competitive field of automotive design, the hatchback has not changed a whole lot in decades. Why? Because the vast majority of people who own one like it, understand what it is and how it works. It hasn't changed much because it is a simple design and it works well. I think if any manufacturer could have made practical improvements on the hatchback design without significantly changing the car they probably would have by now.
WeatherDan likes this.
post #706 of 742 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:14 PM
Studum
Points: 3,331, Level: 35 Points: 3,331, Level: 35 Points: 3,331, Level: 35

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:

My 2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback with 225 miles on it, which I hated for the noisy ride, the inability to open the hatchback, the stupid inane HUD display and the lack of Carplay was just totalled by the insurance company after a drunk driver hit it while parked. It was totalled because they couldn't find parts for it.

Sayonara Mazda.
Congratulations, I guess...

Annnnnnnd back on topic of this thread. I wish the glove box had a light in it. I see there's a place for a bulb holder, but I didn't see any wiring in the 30 seconds I took to look at it. I may look into retrofitting one when the weather warms up.
WeatherDan likes this.

Last edited by Studum; 03-17-2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Bringing thread back on topic
post #707 of 742 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:01 AM
harweyko
Points: 1,425, Level: 21 Points: 1,425, Level: 21 Points: 1,425, Level: 21
Activity: 40%
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%

Quote:

Sayonara Mazda.
So you have mistaken Mazda dealer with a grocery, you just came and told them to pack 1 Mazda, 2 loafs of bread and some milk? Never tried how the boot is opened? How the car rides? How the infotainment works and never asked what functions it has? Than yes reeeeeeaaaal problem on Mazdas side, not your fault at all...

/Offtopic
WeatherDan likes this.
post #708 of 742 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:03 AM
stevenvillatoro
Points: 820, Level: 15 Points: 820, Level: 15 Points: 820, Level: 15
Activity: 75%
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

We love Mazda3, but what DON'T you love about it?

Quote:
Your are correct that I don't like the car. I guess you can call me lucky ... So I get a do-over and it won't be Mazda I can assure you.

Congratulations on your fortuitous loss.

Be more savvy the next time you buy a car, so that if you don't like it you'll know to blame only yourself.
post #709 of 742 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:13 PM
arathol
Points: 2,223, Level: 28 Points: 2,223, Level: 28 Points: 2,223, Level: 28

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harweyko View Post
So you have mistaken Mazda dealer with a grocery, you just came and told them to pack 1 Mazda, 2 loafs of bread and some milk? Never tried how the boot is opened? How the car rides? How the infotainment works and never asked what functions it has? Than yes reeeeeeaaaal problem on Mazdas side, not your fault at all...

/Offtopic

post #710 of 742 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:44 PM
Tonyride
Points: 885, Level: 15 Points: 885, Level: 15 Points: 885, Level: 15
Activity: 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Garage
This is why there's a thing called test drive. All dealers allow it. In fact they invite you to test drive the cars. Everything you didn't like about the car would have been revealed at that time. I test drove 2 different versions of the 3 before decided to buy mine which I love because I knew what I was getting so I'm able to manage my expectations. Don't blame the car because it was what you expected.

2015 Mazda 3s Touring, Hatchback, 6-Speed Manual Transmission.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
love , mazda3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode