We love Mazda3, but what DON'T you love about it? - Page 72 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
View Poll Results: What DON'T you LOVE about your Mazda3?
No grocery bag hooks in the trunk 131 14.10%
Not enough storage/cubby space 228 24.54%
HD Radio traffic NOT integrated with Navigation 235 25.30%
Navigation load time 82 8.83%
Comically small tachometer on 3i 202 21.74%
Navigation volume, does increase to match music volume 82 8.83%
Road noise 461 49.62%
No air vents or power outlets for the back seats 244 26.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 929. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #711 of 729 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:36 AM
sc489
Points: 1,388, Level: 20 Points: 1,388, Level: 20 Points: 1,388, Level: 20
Activity: 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyride View Post
This is why there's a thing called test drive. All dealers allow it. In fact they invite you to test drive the cars. Everything you didn't like about the car would have been revealed at that time. I test drove 2 different versions of the 3 before decided to buy mine which I love because I knew what I was getting so I'm able to manage my expectations. Don't blame the car because it was what you expected.
I took 3 test drives and didn't think the road noise was too bad. However, since buying the car I've now discovered some roads which are excessively noisy in the Mazda 3. You can still be caught out even after taking test drives.
Davidval18 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #712 of 729 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:07 AM
Davidval18
Points: 4,550, Level: 42 Points: 4,550, Level: 42 Points: 4,550, Level: 42
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc489 View Post
I took 3 test drives and didn't think the road noise was too bad. However, since buying the car I've now discovered some roads which are excessively noisy in the Mazda 3. You can still be caught out even after taking test drives.
Exactly the same what happened to me.

Additionally, adding the OEM Window Side Deflectors don't reduce the noise inside the cabin but rather increases it according to my experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #713 of 729 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:58 AM
Tonyride
Points: 865, Level: 15 Points: 865, Level: 15 Points: 865, Level: 15
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc489 View Post
Granted about the road noise but I was mostly addressing complaints from Rnbarg which includes HUD, lack of carplay, hatch, etc. One test drive would have revealed all those things.

2015 Mazda 3s Touring, Hatchback, 6-Speed Manual Transmission.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #714 of 729 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:11 PM
stevenvillatoro
Points: 802, Level: 15 Points: 802, Level: 15 Points: 802, Level: 15
Activity: 75%
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

It seems that those who 'discover' post-purchase road noise had not planned and taken a proper (rigorous) test drive. I always make it clear to salespeople that my test drive is conditional on (1) my choosing the route, and (2) with unrestricted driving time.

I also tell salespeople that I prefer mostly silence when I drive, so I'm not distracted by sales chatter. I turn off other noisemakers such as AC and audio systems. By taking all those steps, I'm assured a test drive on my terms, including portions that I pre-plan and (pre-drive) which have the roughest and most annoying surfaces that I can find. Then, I'll spend as much time as I need going back over those roads until I get my answers. I do the same level of testing to check out all of the cars features and capabilities, i.e., not just road noise.

Basically, I'd be a PITA if I didn't get cooperative salespeople... so I'm very careful about who I work with. And I repeat this procedure at multiple dealers, because cars are expensive and we have to live with them for a long time. Sometimes I joke to a salesperson that he might want to bring along a book to read on the test drive with me.

Most people are too shy about expecting a proper test drive, or don't set up an expectation with salespeople at the onset. I even take the trouble to find their least-busy time of day, so that they won't be stressed, either, by my monopolization of their time and vehicle.

Don't hesitate to go back and test drive a car again and again. There shouldn't be any victims here. Bottom line, don't buy until you know for sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevenvillatoro For This Useful Post:
edvb (03-19-2017), Road Trip (03-19-2017)
post #715 of 729 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:40 PM
mil
Points: 176, Level: 3 Points: 176, Level: 3 Points: 176, Level: 3
Activity: 70%
Activity: 70% Activity: 70% Activity: 70%

Having owned my 2016 iTouring HB for a month now, here's what I don't like:

From the items in the poll, only the "No grocery bag hooks in the trunk" bothered me. But I got the cargo net and I was actually surprised how well it works.

By far my #1 item is the sticking out infotainment screen. I hate the aesthetics of that design. It looks like a last-minute add-on created by an intern. At first I had to fight the urge to grab it with my hands, rip it out, and toss it through the window . I suppose it could be worse, it could obstruct my view through the windshield. Still, I tend to turn it off completely when driving so that it doesn't bother me. And everybody who sits in my car for the first time comments about it so it's not just me.

Other things, thankfully nothing major and most are fixable on my own:
No USB or 12V ports in the front (CD version).
Too hard armrest (the rubber version, but the leatherette one is not much better).
Incandescent interior lighting (how much extra would it cost them to put some decent LEDs? 10 bucks?).
Auto-sensing wipers (thankfully can be turned off in Settings).
The fact that I need to move front seats forward to fold the back seats.
Overly sensitive blind-spot monitoring (any way to reduce its range? It beeps all the time when I change lanes on busy roads).

Last edited by mil; 03-19-2017 at 07:44 PM. Reason: typo, and remembered one more thing...
post #716 of 729 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:21 PM
Rnbarg
Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12

Quote:
Granted about the road noise but I was mostly addressing complaints from Rnbarg which includes HUD, lack of carplay, hatch, etc. One test drive would have revealed all those things.
So let me address some the recent comments about my decision making process. First, I'm sorry about the snarky tone, sayonara Mazda etc. In fact, I spent a lot of time researching the Mazda 3 and had test drives on different days. I even rented a 2016 Mazda GT hatchback from getaround.com in San Francisco. I had it for an entire day.

I of course, knew about the HUD, which I didn't like, but it wasn't a deal breaker, since there was an easy DIY fix to disconnect the HUD and keep it permanently retracted. It takes all of ten minutes for someone with experience on working w/cars. I continued to critique it on his forum because it's, after all, "what DON'T you love etc". I think the HUD is distracting, even w/no text appearing and it was a cheap half measure. A number of leading car reviewers have panned it. I am assuming that systems which project the same info directly onto the windshield, a more elegant (and probably costlier system), can be turned off as a user option. The same should be true for the Mazda 3 HUD including a setting that can be remembered where it is permanently retracted. That said, this did not affect my decision process in buying the vehicle and I did discuss it w/the dealer.

I also knew about the lack of CarPlay support. It was disappointing, but not a deal breaker. I assumed that I could continue to use my iPhone the way I am using it now by simply plugging it into the audio jack or using BT to connect thru the Infotainment system. I wasn't going to spend hours testing out the infotainment system during my test drive, loading my contacts into a car computer, etc.. After getting the car, I learned that the Infotainment system got along poorly with my iPhone. For example, when I requested directions from Siri, the Infotainment system treated it as a phone call and turned off the iphone audio turn by turn directions. It also repeatedly turned on podcasts that were paused. The system defaults to turning on the FM radio if you don't have a device plugged into the audio port. I had read some bad reviews of the Mazda Infotainment, but again I was willing to overlook it. Once I got the car and realized how dsyfuctional and antiquated the infotainment system is (my own view of course), I gave my views on it in this forum, bascially contributing my experience to the overall collective knowledge here.

I was also aware, in general, about how the hatchback worked. When I rented the 2016 Mazda 3, I was in the process of moving from Marin County to the East Bay in the SF Bay Area. I put the seats down and transported a bunch of boxes. I had a lot of trouble finding the hatch unlock button. It was clearly an oversight not to look for the (mythical) hatch release button in the car that acted like a trunk release. I should have asked where' the "trunk release" button was. I would have learned that almost no (non-luxury) hatchbacks have a power liftgate. All that said, this wasnt' a deal breaker either.

The road noise, which would have been a deal breaker, had I discovered it, was not apparent. As I said in other posts, when I did my test drives, the roads were mostly in Central Marin County, a wealthy county with alot of resources, and are very well-maintained including the highways. I also relied heavily on professional reviewers opinion of the car, which are overwhelming positive. Most said the ride was pretty quiet. None that I saw identifed road noise as a big issue. I did NOT read the reviews of individual owners, the threads about noise etc. on this forum. Had I done that, I surely would have followed up and probably not purchased the car.

I was very happy with my 1994 Subaru Legacy Si Sedan with 180K miles on it before I made the Mazda purchase. It has AWD, holds the road great, and acts like a car, not a computer. The pickup on it is not great and making lane changes and merging can be challenging and its in the shop alot. That's why I decided to get a new car.

As I'm in my mid-60s w/slower reaction times, I thought loading up on a bunch of safety features (iActiveSense) was a good idea. But it turned out that I don't like a lot about new cars today. I like using a key to open my car and start it. I don't like keyfobs. I don't like having to put my foot on the break and to press a button to get ignition. I don't like infotainment displays w/their warning messages when you start the car. I want an unimpeded view of the road, meaning no taxicab, meter like boxes on the top of my dash. I am happy parking the car the old fashioned way. My car has large windows and excellent visibility. I haven't had an accident in 30 years so I'm happy to monitor my own blind spot. I also like regulating the climate myself. When I'm hot, I turn the cold air up and vice versa. I can do this in a second. When I want to get in the trunk, I just pop it from the inside. So when it comes to cars, I'm pretty low tech. I'm a minimalist. I want to drive a car, not an airplane. Less is more.

Overall I will readily admit my due diligence nce was lacking here and I have only myself to blame for my decision. I had not been in the car market for 15 years and my knowledge of cars was from the last century and I didn't ask enough questions.

All that said, it seems, with respect to not idenfitying the road noise as an issue prior to purchase, is a pretty common issue with users on this forum. There is even one thread devoted to it. Thanks for the all the excellent feedback and good luck with your Zoom Zoom experience.
sc489 likes this.
post #717 of 729 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Rnbarg

Quote:
Please see We love Mazda3, but what DON'T you love about it? where I expained my decision process.
post #718 of 729 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:18 PM
Rnbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
It seems that those who 'discover' post-purchase road noise had not planned and taken a proper (rigorous) test drive. I always make it clear to salespeople that my test drive is conditional on (1) my choosing the route, and (2) with unrestricted driving time.

I also tell salespeople that I prefer mostly silence when I drive, so I'm not distracted by sales chatter. I turn off other noisemakers such as AC and audio systems. By taking all those steps, I'm assured a test drive on my terms, including portions that I pre-plan and (pre-drive) which have the roughest and most annoying surfaces that I can find. Then, I'll spend as much time as I need going back over those roads until I get my answers. I do the same level of testing to check out all of the cars features and capabilities, i.e., not just road noise.

Basically, I'd be a PITA if I didn't get cooperative salespeople... so I'm very careful about who I work with. And I repeat this procedure at multiple dealers, because cars are expensive and we have to live with them for a long time. Sometimes I joke to a salesperson that he might want to bring along a book to read on the test drive with me.

Most people are too shy about expecting a proper test drive, or don't set up an expectation with salespeople at the onset. I even take the trouble to find their least-busy time of day, so that they won't be stressed, either, by my monopolization of their time and vehicle.

Don't hesitate to go back and test drive a car again and again. There shouldn't be any victims here. Bottom line, don't buy until you know for sure.
Excellent advice.
post #719 of 729 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:21 PM
BrianU
Points: 964, Level: 16 Points: 964, Level: 16 Points: 964, Level: 16
Activity: 70%
Activity: 70% Activity: 70% Activity: 70%

So Iím pretty close in age to you and Iíd like to address some of the concerns you had with you Mazda3. Now it wonít be a direct comparison since I have 2016 Mazda6 Touring manual. But here it goesÖ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnbarg View Post
I of course, knew about the HUD, which I didn't like, but it wasn't a deal breaker, since there was an easy DIY fix to disconnect the HUD and keep it permanently retracted. It takes all of ten minutes for someone with experience on working w/cars. I continued to critique it on his forum because it's, after all, "what DON'T you love etc". I think the HUD is distracting, even w/no text appearing and it was a cheap half measure. A number of leading car reviewers have panned it. I am assuming that systems which project the same info directly onto the windshield, a more elegant (and probably costlier system), can be turned off as a user option. The same should be true for the Mazda 3 HUD including a setting that can be remembered where it is permanently retracted. That said, this did not affect my decision process in buying the vehicle and I did discuss it w/the dealer.
Frankly Car & Driver had the same issues with the HUD in the M3. However I have driven the new M9 and I can say that the HUD that projects on the windshield is awesome!

Quote:
I also knew about the lack of CarPlay support. It was disappointing, but not a deal breaker. I assumed that I could continue to use my iPhone the way I am using it now by simply plugging it into the audio jack or using BT to connect thru the Infotainment system. I wasn't going to spend hours testing out the infotainment system during my test drive, loading my contacts into a car computer, etc.. After getting the car, I learned that the Infotainment system got along poorly with my iPhone. For example, when I requested directions from Siri, the Infotainment system treated it as a phone call and turned off the iPhone audio turn by turn directions. It also repeatedly turned on podcasts that were paused. The system defaults to turning on the FM radio if you don't have a device plugged into the audio port. I had read some bad reviews of the Mazda Infotainment, but again I was willing to overlook it. Once I got the car and realized how dysfunctional and antiquated the infotainment system is (my own view of course), I gave my views on it in this forum, basically contributing my experience to the overall collective knowledge here.
I may be an outlier here but I just love the infotainment system in our cars, same as yours. I just love how the control knob works and frankly donít miss Carplay support since Iíve never had it. Iíve also added a navigation card from EBay and this weekend added the SiriusXM-SSV7V1 Stratus 7 Satellite Radio with Vehicle Kit after upgrading speakers and a powered subwoofer.

Quote:
The road noise, which would have been a deal breaker, had I discovered it, was not apparent. As I said in other posts, when I did my test drives, the roads were mostly in Central Marin County, a wealthy county with a lot of resources and are very well-maintained including the highways. I also relied heavily on professional reviewerís opinion of the car, which are overwhelming positive. Most said the ride was pretty quiet; None that I saw identified road noise as a big issue. I did NOT read the reviews of individual owners, the threads about noise etc. on this forum. Had I done that, I surely would have followed up and probably not purchased the car.
I also addressed the road noise issue in my M6 and find it as quite or quieter than the Honda Accords I come from.

Quote:
As I'm in my mid-60s w/slower reaction times, I thought loading up on a bunch of safety features (iActiveSense) was a good idea. But it turned out that I don't like a lot about new cars today. I like using a key to open my car and start it. I don't like keyfobs. I don't like having to put my foot on the break and to press a button to get ignition. I don't like infotainment displays w/their warning messages when you start the car. I want an unimpeded view of the road, meaning no taxicab, meter like boxes on the top of my dash. I am happy parking the car the old fashioned way. My car has large windows and excellent visibility. I haven't had an accident in 30 years so I'm happy to monitor my own blind spot. I also like regulating the climate myself. When I'm hot, I turn the cold air up and vice versa. I can do this in a second. When I want to get in the trunk, I just pop it from the inside. So when it comes to cars, I'm pretty low tech. I'm a minimalist. I want to drive a car, not an airplane. Less is more..
Iím very happy with the pushbutton start and not having to take the key out of my pocket. I donít find that the infotainment system impedes my view at all and Iím 5í6Ē. I just love the blind spot monitoring and rear camera with cross-path detection. However I would agree that Iím not yet interested in more ďnannyísĒ than that.

Overall I understand that if youíre not happy you were fortunate to get out as you did. I have to say that Iím pretty happy with my Mazda, the way it drives is important to me and I wanted to look at a M3 but my wife didnít want me in something that small. I had to have a manual transmission and have to say the Mazda transmission is very Honda like as is the 2.5 SkyActive pretty similar in feel to the Honda K24. Thatís high praise!

I hope you find a replacement that meets your needs and budget, good luck out there!

2016 Touring manual Deep Crystal Blue Mica/Sand leatherette

35% 3M Ceramic film|OEM cargo tray, F&R splash guards|TPI C726445F Wheel Locks|Interior & BKup LEDs|iJDMTOY Fogs yellow Lamin-x & H9s Mazda stalk|H9 headlights
A119 dashcam w/GPS & Lexar microSDXC 633x 128GB|Polk Audio DB351s/100V 47uF caps in dash|DXI 651s rear doors|Kenwood KSC-SW11 subwoofer|Thermoquiet acoustic insulation
post #720 of 729 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:10 AM
jason701802
Points: 712, Level: 14 Points: 712, Level: 14 Points: 712, Level: 14
Activity: 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studum View Post
It's not a release in the new one. It's a dedicated unlock. My wife's Kia is the same: It has a hatch button on the remote but it's only function is to unlock only the rear door so it may be opened while the rest of the car doors remain locked. That means you still need to grab the handle and open the rear door after unlocking it, it also means that the rest of the doors then need to be unlocked before you open them.

Mazda has just made it simple in that the hatch lock is on the same circuit on the rear doors: unlock all of the door and the hatch is unlocked as well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. hatchback = 5 door. 5th door being the hatch. Doors have locks and handles and handles must be used to open doors. It's as simple as that.
By open I mean pop the latch. Of course it's not going to swing a 50lbs (I'm totally guessing) door up in the air.
Does the new Golf not actually pop the latch when you press the button? The location of the latch release is not intuitive on those cars. EDIT: I looked it up and it's not a release. What a stupid change.
I usually have to get out to show my passenger how to open up the hatch. If I could pop the latch from inside, they're smart enough to open it the rest of the way.

Last edited by jason701802; 03-21-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
love , mazda3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode