2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

My New Borla Exhaust

Tags
borla exhaust
20K views 51 replies 15 participants last post by  Czuniga1975 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Just installed my Borla Exhaust and its lovely. I am editing some video that I took and wanted some feedback as to what everyone wants to see from my borla exhaust?

Here is the unboxing:

*EDIT:
Here is some information before you install your Borla Exhaust! Slightly different than the installation guide if you have a 2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback.

*Edit 2:
Here is lovely Exhaust Clips. Starts with a little before then after and some side shots of the car.

More to come stay tuned!

#4 ·
Coming SOON!!

@gfpettus, thank you and here is what at least a few of us want to hear in your video(s). Thanks for asking. Thanks for first letting us know whether you have a 2.0 or 2.5 and which transmission (though we probably will be able to tell that from your video).
I have a 2.5 and an automatic. :)

Thanks for the questions. I will work that into a video. Hopefully I can incorporate it all! if not I will come back and answer your questions here.

#3 · (Edited)
@gfpettus, thank you and here is what at least a few of us want to hear in your video(s). Thanks for asking. Thanks for first letting us know whether you have a 2.0 or 2.5 and which transmission (though we probably will be able to tell that from your video).

We know that the Borla sounds absolutely terrific for blasting around/having fun, but there are times for many of us that we just cruising down the road from one place to another and want to insure that at those times, it does not have drone -- as my last Borla did, our last one giving us headaches by the third hour while driving down the interstate on a 600 mile day.

As it is fun to hear an exhaust from outside the car, what matters most is what is it like inside the car at what RPM's, making us a video that, at least, clearly shows your speed and RPM's with your mic inside the car?

1) Would you please accelerate to 2,000 RPM keep it there for five seconds, then 2,500 RPM's for 5 seconds, then 3,000 RPM for five seconds in any gear you choose? By seeing the RPM, speed and gear at those levels, we will get a really good sound experience.

Again, we know it sounds hellaciously delightful above 3,000, but what we are wondering is what is it like when in cruise control at 2,000 going down the interstate hour by hour on a long trip?

Borla might just be the perfect exhaust for those who do almost exclusively fun town and short trips, yet be not good for those of us who go on long road trips.

@gfpettus, thanks again for helping us all experience all parts of the Borla experience.

#6 ·
I got the hat with mine, too :)

What they didn`t send you are the two bolts you`ll need to bolt it up to the mid-pipe. They say to reuse the OEM ones, but they are studs welded to the OEM you`ll be taking off. Just do yourself a favor and go purchase two bolts, two lockwashers, and two nuts before you start. I couldn`t tell you what size they were, but I just took one of the nuts from the exhaust off and drove the one mile to the hardware store to find the aforementioned hardware that was the same as the nut I removed.

#9 · (Edited)
Dude. So I in the middle of take off the stock and YUP exactly what you said... so silly haha at least it was an easy fix by going to the store. Funny enough I ran into some differences also with installing my koni yellows.

#11 ·
Yeah I will get to filming some of those soon. Waiting for the weekend to do a cold start video.

How you liking your so far? I love mine, but its only been a week haha.

#8 ·
@gfpettus and @JDabzzz, might either of you live in the Pacific Northwest, for if so, I would travel hundreds of miles just to get a ride in your "Borla car" --- and lunch afterwards sure would be on me.

#10 ·
I would totally hit you up on that offer if I did! sounds fun! I unfortunately live in the pacific southwest.

Reactions: Road Trip
#13 ·
Just updated! working on the videos for the exhaust!!

#18 ·
@gfpettus, you car looks really good with its Bayson splitter!

Also looking forward to the Borla videos, for I want to buy my exhaust soon. Thanks in advance!

#25 ·
Thats dumb. That sucks! I am sorry :( did you try to call the place you bought it from?

#21 ·
That sucks. I am sorry! I can understand a mistake that would result in one tip being an 1/8" too far in or out, but one tip welded upside down..

#29 ·
Straight answer is yes there is a tiny tiny bit of drone over stock. Like super tiny, but honestly manageable and sounds refined especially once it was broken in. I will post something soon hopefully showing something like that.

I have an automatic and once I was cruising in "6th" its hardly noticeable. Most of the noise is music and road noise honestly.

Hope that helps!

#30 ·
I did not order from Borla directly. I ordered mine off of AutoAnything.com

It was I think around $550. A little more pricey than the others, but well more refined from a company that does exhausts.

Reactions: KODO2.5
#32 ·
nice!

#35 ·
lol. yeah they are a little annyoing to get right. Honestly just trial and error. When they are on the hangers you kinda have to keep playing with it until the tips are the right distance you want.

#51 ·
nope. no cutting or adding anything.

#37 ·
Just placed my order ;)

#39 ·
Mine showed up
Post pics of it on and how it went asap! :)
I'm thinking of coating mine black to go along w the theme of my 3.

#40 · (Edited)
Installed it today. Like others have said it's pretty straightforward. WD40 or something similar on the rubber hangers to ease removal and installation. I used some M10 x 35 mm bolts for the flange. On the 2016 the bolts are welded to the muffler so there's no reusing them as the instructions indicate. Aligning the tips took just a few minutes. As far as sound goes I'm very pleased. Nice deep tone. Barely noticeable in the car when cruising. Perfect

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.