2017 Mazda 3 G-Vectoring and suspension adjustments - Page 2 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:34 PM
da_jokker
Points: 4,416, Level: 42 Points: 4,416, Level: 42 Points: 4,416, Level: 42
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I'm not claiming anything...just adding infor to the question at hand.

So based on this article http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/pres...ress-material/

Specifically 4. Driving Dynamics, couple of statements...

1. GVC adjusts engine torque in response to steering wheel action

2. Paraphrasing the text just below that makes it sound like G vector uses the engine torque to transition the vertical load balance on the wheels.... it wouldn't seem then it would need certain known expectations of the suspension to do that. Adjusting the springs to Performance one would change the equation.... at least one would think.

3. GVC can be deployed in any SKYACTIV model, irrespective of its specific drivetrain ..... so maybe it really doesn't matter.

4. A whole section under Evolved handling performance and ride comfort.

So is it as clear as mud now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
LeJohn23
Mazda Sales Consultant
Points: 1,401, Level: 21 Points: 1,401, Level: 21 Points: 1,401, Level: 21
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I contacted Mazda and CorkSport. Haven't heard anything from CS.. got this back from Mazda:

"Dear John,

Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center.

I received your email regarding your 2017 Mazda3 and the adjusting the ride height. Any adjustment or change to the suspension or the ride height would directly affect the G-Vectoring control on your Mazda3. We do not recommend any modifications to the vehicle. If you have any more questions please let me know."

I figured they would not recommend any modifications that were not an OEM part. Hmmmm.....
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:43 AM
MisterGD
Points: 2,098, Level: 27 Points: 2,098, Level: 27 Points: 2,098, Level: 27
Activity: 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Has anybody tried suspension mods on a g-vector controlled Mazda to verify that things work OK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 04:27 PM
da_jokker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGD View Post
Has anybody tried suspension mods on a g-vector controlled Mazda to verify that things work OK?

As good as our members are, I don't think we will ever be able to answer this question. The Reality is that it took mazda 8 years to develop and tune this software. Most drivers can't even tell G-Vector is even working, let alone if it is working right.

As we have established I think in this thread, nobody is claiming that G-Vector talks directly to the suspension parts. However there is evidence of sorts, that G-Vector has been programmed with certain "parameters" based on the Known factors of the suspension.

So if you adjust... you may make it less effective, you may not. I think that most would probably put looks of a lowered car over G-Vector. It will be up to each individual to decide for their own.

but if you are expecting someone to be able to actually state as fact that they can tell the broke g-vector by lowing their car.. chances are you will never be able to get a provable answer. Basically the Butt-Dyno rarely cuts it.
Road Trip likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 10:13 PM
Road Trip
Gearhead
Points: 5,472, Level: 47 Points: 5,472, Level: 47 Points: 5,472, Level: 47
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

Garage
@da_jokker , that is a very fair and accurate assessment. Well analyzed/stated!

2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch: Soul Red Metallic with Black interior, manual: Premium Equipment pkg, customized OEM Appearance Pkg; iActivSense Pkg, add'l OEM options.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 10:59 PM
MisterGD
Points: 2,098, Level: 27 Points: 2,098, Level: 27 Points: 2,098, Level: 27
Activity: 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jokker View Post
As good as our members are, I don't think we will ever be able to answer this question. The Reality is that it took mazda 8 years to develop and tune this software. Most drivers can't even tell G-Vector is even working, let alone if it is working right.

As we have established I think in this thread, nobody is claiming that G-Vector talks directly to the suspension parts. However there is evidence of sorts, that G-Vector has been programmed with certain "parameters" based on the Known factors of the suspension.

So if you adjust... you may make it less effective, you may not. I think that most would probably put looks of a lowered car over G-Vector. It will be up to each individual to decide for their own.

but if you are expecting someone to be able to actually state as fact that they can tell the broke g-vector by lowing their car.. chances are you will never be able to get a provable answer. Basically the Butt-Dyno rarely cuts it.
This is a good point and well said. I think my question was a bit vague. What might be more appropriate to ask is if anybody has modified a Mazda with G-Vectoring control and noticed any deleterious results (or results differing than what they expected). On the flip side, has anybody done the same and noticed results that they were happy/satisfied with?

Full disclosure is that I have a 2017 Mazda 3 and am thinking about installing a Progress rear sway bar but wanted to try to find out if it was a bad idea before installing one. I didn't want to give too much detail and possibly hijack the thread since the original post was about lowering the car.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:03 PM
da_jokker

Ah...well even that may be tough only because I would think dropping the car with stiffer springs would change the handing so much, how would you know if the change is due to stiffer spring, or gvector messing up?

Believe me, I'm curious as well because I was eyeballing some Eibach springs but may just stick with a rsb if I do anything at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2017 , adjustments , gvectoring , mazda , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode