post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Yonzy
Points: 1,503, Level: 22 Points: 1,503, Level: 22 Points: 1,503, Level: 22
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Help me understand

So I'm deciding on either the H&R Springs or go out with the BC Coilovers for my 15 Mz3 (~19k miles), but obviously the biggest concern is cost and what I'm really using them for.

I read somewhere that you should really only need coilovers if you are hitting the track, and springs are just fine for a DD. I don't ever plan on driving track or racing, but I rather go for something permanent, and long lasting.

I leaning towards the coils, but considering springs definitely because of the cost. However I see the people who go for springs usually end up also getting new struts/shocks, and in the end paying roughly the same as coilovers minus $100-300 anyway, so I'm confused on what's the point? Is it because they can get the springs now and save for the struts later?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:15 AM
snowy8171
Points: 4,145, Level: 40 Points: 4,145, Level: 40 Points: 4,145, Level: 40
Activity: 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

If you want adjustability and height, then you want coilovers. If you are set on a height and find Springs for said height then all good. Just depends on what you want.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 02:03 PM
arathol
Points: 2,161, Level: 28 Points: 2,161, Level: 28 Points: 2,161, Level: 28
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzy View Post
So I'm deciding on either the H&R Springs or go out with the BC Coilovers for my 15 Mz3 (~19k miles), but obviously the biggest concern is cost and what I'm really using them for.

I read somewhere that you should really only need coilovers if you are hitting the track, and springs are just fine for a DD. I don't ever plan on driving track or racing, but I rather go for something permanent, and long lasting.

I leaning towards the coils, but considering springs definitely because of the cost. However I see the people who go for springs usually end up also getting new struts/shocks, and in the end paying roughly the same as coilovers minus $100-300 anyway, so I'm confused on what's the point? Is it because they can get the springs now and save for the struts later?
What you should be concerned about is how a new suspension will effect how the car rides. For a daily driver, coilovers might not be a good thing. Spring rates can be a problem. A lowered car needs stiffer springs, and stiffer springs need shocks to match or ride will suffer to varying degrees. Most cheap Chinese coilovers like BC are geared more for the stance crowd, less for the daily driver unless you like bouncing around a lot. Low is not necessarily good either as you will be scraping curbs and bottoming out in every parking lot. The H&Rs are just about as low as you want to go with your car and keep it practical.
As far as cost goes, you can get a set of H&Rs for about 250 and a set of Koni FSDs for just under 600 vs 800 - 1000 for a low end coilover setup that you might regret installing. You can get better quality coilovers but then you start getting closer to 2 grand.
If you are going to replace the suspension, its better to do it all at once and get it over with. You have to take it apart to change the springs or swap the shocks, no sense in doing it twice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:55 PM
EdwinB
Points: 129, Level: 2 Points: 129, Level: 2 Points: 129, Level: 2
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzy View Post

What you should be concerned about is how a new suspension will effect how the car rides. For a daily driver, coilovers might not be a good thing. Spring rates can be a problem. A lowered car needs stiffer springs, and stiffer springs need shocks to match or ride will suffer to varying degrees. Most cheap Chinese coilovers like BC are geared more for the stance crowd, less for the daily driver unless you like bouncing around a lot. Low is not necessarily good either as you will be scraping curbs and bottoming out in every parking lot. The H&Rs are just about as low as you want to go with your car and keep it practical.
As far as cost goes, you can get a set of H&Rs for about 250 and a set of Koni FSDs for just under 600 vs 800 - 1000 for a low end coilover setup that you might regret installing. You can get better quality coilovers but then you start getting closer to 2 grand.
If you are going to replace the suspension, its better to do it all at once and get it over with. You have to take it apart to change the springs or swap the shocks, no sense in doing it twice.
My question is what H&R lowering springs work for a 2016 mazda 3 sedan?. Im looking in their website but they don't seem to have it for said model.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:10 PM
Moto-x_Mike
Points: 3,204, Level: 35 Points: 3,204, Level: 35 Points: 3,204, Level: 35
Activity: 55%
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

The info you need is in other threads that talk about the H&R springs. You just need to look around a little bit.......

If you have a limited budget, you can always go with the springs alone & then add shocks at a later time, when you have more cash. You'll have to pay for installation twice, but you can split the cost up, which may make it more manageable in your budget.

I'd definitely recommend springs & Koni FSD's over coilovers for a daily driver. You'll have a much better ride!

Last edited by Moto-x_Mike; 02-17-2017 at 06:14 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:53 PM
arathol
Points: 2,161, Level: 28 Points: 2,161, Level: 28 Points: 2,161, Level: 28
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

There are many links and references to these springs. Use the search function. There is also a springs and coilovers sticky at the top of the suspension subforum in which H&R springs are discussed.

H&R part 28821-1

H&R lowering springs for 28821-1 Mazda 3 fits Mazda 3 VA 30 HA 45mm | eBay

From here on if you have a question please make a new thread. Don't attach it to another thread.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:50 PM
EdwinB
Points: 129, Level: 2 Points: 129, Level: 2 Points: 129, Level: 2
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Alright, thank you guys and sorry for quoting alot in the same thread ill do my best to keep it at a minimum since im still new to how the forms are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
understand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode