New, Larger Tires Worth It? - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
mazda3dylan
Points: 109, Level: 2 Points: 109, Level: 2 Points: 109, Level: 2
Activity: 90%
Activity: 90% Activity: 90% Activity: 90%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

New, Larger Tires Worth It?

I've heard a lot about tire swaps so I was wondering: I have the 2016 Mazda 3 i-Sport so are new, larger tires worth it? What would they actually do? How much would they run me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 03:48 PM
arathol
Points: 2,177, Level: 28 Points: 2,177, Level: 28 Points: 2,177, Level: 28
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda3dylan View Post
I've heard a lot about tire swaps so I was wondering: I have the 2016 Mazda 3 i-Sport so are new, larger tires worth it? What would they actually do? How much would they run me?
What exactly are you looking to do? Huge rims with very low profile tires might look cool in some circles but in real world daily driving they can present issues. Its a lot easier to damage a rim for instance, and your suspension won't work as well as it could. Unsprung weight is a big concern. Big heavy wheels don't allow the suspension to respond to pavement irregularities as fast it could with lightweight wheels. You will probably lose a bit of gas mileage.Depending on what size the rims are, you may need to roll or pull your fenders to make them fit. In addition, again depending on what you get, you may need a second set of rims and tires for winter months. Low profile performance tires are not good at all in the snow, and many lose much of their grip once you get into colder temperatures.
As for whether they are worth it, again, that depends on what you want to do and if you can afford to do it.
How much? What do you have to spend? Cost is relative to what you want. Check out Tire Rack, they have a pretty good selection of rims and tires.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 06:16 PM
VoodooJef
Points: 2,983, Level: 33 Points: 2,983, Level: 33 Points: 2,983, Level: 33
Activity: 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Tires by themselves aren`t going to do much. You can only get so far off from stock size before it`s counter productive. Doing wheels is an entirely different discussion. Wheels are changed for any number of reasons, most often because they just look good. The obvious here is to go with close to stock size for purposes of ease and compatibility. When things get complicated is when you start wanting to deviate from stock size. My wheels and tires are not stock size, yet they (in my opinion) look better, and they`re lighter. I had to find wheels with a certain set of measurements to get them to fit appropriately. Plenty of people put wheels that absolutely do not fit correctly on their vehicles. I`m not one of the folks who finds that look pleasant.

Is it worth it to swap tires only to something vastly different from stock? Not really. Is it worth it to swap the wheels and tires? Sure, if you are intending to change the look of the car or the feel of the ride, or possibly improve the performance. Wheels are not considered a "performance" modification, and shouldn`t really be thought of as such, but wheels much lighter than stock can help the car accelerate more quickly (but they tend to be more fragile, and light wheels that are strong tend to be very expensive).

I hope that helps answer some of your question. Jump onto the wheel and tire thread and see what others have done, read about the different wheels specs and how they fit. There`s a lot of info available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 07:39 PM
arathol
Points: 2,177, Level: 28 Points: 2,177, Level: 28 Points: 2,177, Level: 28
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

so how about we move this to a more visible subforum for more exposure

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
larger , mazda 3 , tires , wheel , wheel or tire , worth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode