2004 to 2014 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums

2004 to 2014 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums (http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/)
-   2014 Mazda 3 Skyactiv Audio & Electronics (http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/)
-   -   Heads Up Display (http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/38074-heads-up-display.html)

Secondchildhood 12-29-2013 06:13 AM

Heads Up Display

It hung up yesterday. Shut the engine off, restarted, it went down ( from hung up position) back to hung up position, down again and then up to where it should be. Anyone else have a problem?

rvoll 12-29-2013 08:42 AM

This is in a position that can trap dirt and particles so you might try to carefully vacuum the area and take a close look to see if anything is getting in the way.

lowincash 12-29-2013 10:04 AM

I only the HUD not pop up once when I was driving at night. Turned car off then restArted, the HUD popped up then went back down and up again then worked as usual. This happened while I was using the old firmware, haven't had this after the update.

THEStorm 12-29-2013 08:35 PM

Mine has done this a couple times, a quick restart fixes it. Hoping the firmware update will clear some of these little things up.

alex281 12-30-2013 09:55 AM

The guy at the car wash forced my HUD down when he was cleaning. I almost slugged him! but i decided to restart the car first and it did this procedure exactly and then it was fine. It must have a built-in reset when it detects the position is off.

Debbadoo12 12-31-2013 02:42 PM

Anyone worried that over a couple years, this could get worn out from having to go up/down every time the car is turned off and on? Yes, the warranty will cover it for 3 years, but after that, it could potentially be a problem. Technology .... it's good and bad. Kind of wish the display just reflected on the windshield like some other HUD displays.

Spencer@CorkSport 12-31-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbadoo12 (Post 543329)
Anyone worried that over a couple years, this could get worn out from having to go up/down every time the car is turned off and on? Yes, the warranty will cover it for 3 years, but after that, it could potentially be a problem. Technology .... it's good and bad. Kind of wish the display just reflected on the windshield like some other HUD displays.

But the slow way it raises is so epic!

lowincash 12-31-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbadoo12 (Post 543329)

That's one reason I got the extended warranty, 7yr/100k. This is the first time I bought extended warranty for a car, or for anything actually. With all the gizmos in this car, it's just a better piece of mind to have the extra coverage, even though I'll probably never get to use it.

CrimsonXion 01-03-2014 04:23 PM

I have read that the HUD that project on a windshield makes replacing of said windshield MUCH more expensive and that is why Mazda decided not to go that route....

I will be test driving a GT Sedan later this weekend. I am really curious to know if the HUD is really worth it. Been contemplating getting a I-Touring instead of a Grand Touring....

OvrSteer 01-03-2014 05:30 PM

If you demo it, be sure to do Nav with turn-by-turn. If you're not doing anything specific, it's just going to display the speed, so you have to do Navigation to a specific location to see it do anything other than its "default" mode. Also be sure to do the configuration in the COMMAND system to make sure it's lined up for your height, sufficient brightness etc.

The HUD's much more impressive at night, but you're not likely to be demoing it at night. Without the tech package, it's pretty much turn-by-turn and speed, but even that is helpful. Tech would add the lane keeping and other info.

The HUD was one of many little selling points that made the interior feel much nicer than say an iTouring. By itself it's probably not the *most* awesome feature in a car, but it's a nice to have.

--

In case it's something that catastrophically fails beyond the warranty (and my extended warranty) it's not something I couldn't live without in an S Touring. The speed is also displayed in the corner of the tach and while you don't get the full nav experience with the female voice barking commands, it's a) good enough and b) by then I'm sure we'll have navigation brain implants or something.