Tech Package/Larger Screen - 2004 to 2014 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
Mazda3Revolution.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 07:44 AM
Points: 391, Level: 7 Points: 391, Level: 7 Points: 391, Level: 7
Activity: 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HOSSinNH is on a distinguished road
Default Tech Package/Larger Screen

So I'm all but decided on a MT iTour, but was curious as to what others who have the car think about the tech package that gets you the larger screen and other assorted goodies that go with it? Does it become a novelty after a bit? Worth the extra money?

I test drove an AT iTour with it and it was impressive, but also do read some of the flashing and problems being had with it as well. If you have the option now, would you get it again?

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Points: 711, Level: 14 Points: 711, Level: 14 Points: 711, Level: 14
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

tietherope is on a distinguished road

You say that the tech package comes with a larger screen, so I just want to make sure you know that without the tech package it comes with NO screen.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Points: 2,226, Level: 28 Points: 2,226, Level: 28 Points: 2,226, Level: 28
Activity: 83%
Activity: 83% Activity: 83% Activity: 83%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
oldman has a spectacular aura aboutoldman has a spectacular aura about

Personally, I'm not impressed with the big screen. But the screen is not what's important about the tech package. It's the "goodies" that you may or may not want. The backup camera, better stereo, and the auto dual zone AC. There are some other apps included also that are only slightly better than just plugging in your smartphone like pandora. But to me the big ones are the first three I mentioned.

I skipped the tech package on my iTouring because I actually prefer manual AC controls. I could care less about the better stereo and an aftermarket backup camera system can be installed for far, far less than $1600. The rest of the apps, IMHO, are more distraction than they are worth. I need to be focused on the road and not on having a text message read to me. Others may have a different opinion, but I feel like the apps should stay in the hands of the passengers and not the driver. You guys don't need a knucklehead like me trying to read a menu on a screen trying to select a pandora setting instead of actually driving. ;-)
Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Points: 1,268, Level: 19 Points: 1,268, Level: 19 Points: 1,268, Level: 19
Activity: 39%
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

VQ35DE is on a distinguished road

I have it and WOULD get it again. I would not get another i touring without the tech pkg.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Points: 4,709, Level: 43 Points: 4,709, Level: 43 Points: 4,709, Level: 43
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
dew111 will become famous soon enoughdew111 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSinNH View Post
So I'm all but decided on a MT iTour, but was curious as to what others who have the car think about the tech package that gets you the larger screen and other assorted goodies that go with it? Does it become a novelty after a bit? Worth the extra money?

I test drove an AT iTour with it and it was impressive, but also do read some of the flashing and problems being had with it as well. If you have the option now, would you get it again?

Thanks
The Mazda CONNECT system is pretty sweet. There are some firmware issues, but Mazda is working hard to fix them and get people updated.

If all you want is a basic radio, you probably don't need the infotainment system. But if you want good integration with bluetooth, voice commands, navigation, rearview camera, E911, etc. you should go for it. It also allows you to customize more of the car settings without visiting a dealer. For example, lighting timeouts and door lock behavior.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tietherope View Post
You say that the tech package comes with a larger screen, so I just want to make sure you know that without the tech package it comes with NO screen.
Understood, thanks. I was counting the little radio face as a screen in my head when I made the post. It's just a radio face and not a screen.

I thought I read somewhere that the manual transmission did not have a Backup Camera. Can't seem to find where I read that again. Is that correct?

Last edited by HOSSinNH; 12-23-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Points: 1,241, Level: 19 Points: 1,241, Level: 19 Points: 1,241, Level: 19
Activity: 72%
Activity: 72% Activity: 72% Activity: 72%

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Deftmetal will become famous soon enough

I have manual trans with backup camera.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftmetal View Post
I have manual trans with backup camera.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Points: 1,649, Level: 23 Points: 1,649, Level: 23 Points: 1,649, Level: 23
Activity: 39%
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yezariael will become famous soon enoughYezariael will become famous soon enough

The Infotainment Screen was one of my major MUST HAVES!

Just great to set up some things, for music, for navigation etc. It's really easy to use the voice recognition Lady or even better the Commander! As I read the touch is disabled when driving I fist was disappointed, but now I find myself always using the Commander to change things Only street names are better added with touch or voice control, for everything else the Commander is just great!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Points: 4,894, Level: 44 Points: 4,894, Level: 44 Points: 4,894, Level: 44
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
lowincash is just really nicelowincash is just really nicelowincash is just really nicelowincash is just really nicelowincash is just really nice

Some people has been having issues with the infotainment system even after the update, but honestly I haven't had many issues before or after the update. It's definitely worth having as it makes everything much more easier to use and control. It's very easy to navigate while driving using the wheel/knob thingy and with the screen up on the dash you don't loose view of the road. Once you've used it and are accustomed to the controls, everything just comes naturally. You get a backup camera which is a godsend for this car with the somewhat poor rear visibility, it gives you such a wide view that I've mostly just reverse by looking at the screen lol and it'll beep at you if there's a car or person coming. It's a must on my next car now.

| OEM Window Visors | OEM Rear Spoiler | Michelin Primacy MXM4 | 45% Photosync tint all around | 75% Photosync tint on windshield | 60% Huper Optik tint on sunroof | Clearplex Windshield Protection Film |
| LED interior/reverse | Piaa Plasma Ion Yellow Fogs | Osram CBI D4S | Chrome exhaust tip | Vibrant resonator | JBR air filter | JBR RSB | Mazda OEM 18" Gunmetal Rims |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
package or larger, screen, tech