2004 to 2014 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums

2004 to 2014 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums (http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/)
-   2014 Mazda 3 Skyactiv Discussion (http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-mazda-3-skyactiv-discussion/)
-   -   Thoughts about the 2.0L GS (http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-mazda-3-skyactiv-discussion/39114-thoughts-about-2-0l-gs.html)

worth_fixing 01-07-2014 12:54 PM

Thoughts about the 2.0L GS

Hey guys,

I'm trading in the GTI for a 2014 Mazda 3 2.0L GS this spring. I won't get the GT because it's too expensive and only comes with the automatic, leather seats and a ton of electronic crap I don't want. I also don't want to wait too long for a manual GT as they'll all be made in Mexico starting late this year, so now's the time to pull the trigger, while they're still made in Japan.

It's just...the tachometer. God, why oh why does the 2.0L get the shitty digital tachometer and central speedometer, while the beautiful central tachometer comes solely with the 2.5L?!

...my true question is...has anyone tried to swap them? No...? I didn't think so. Somebody please let me know if this is even remotely doable; I'll be listenning closely.

Believe it or not, I've actually contacted Mazda Canada about this, and I got a predictable response of "we strongly recommend against this, it'll void the warranty" which I totally understand. I'm still curious if I could potentially do this; the difference between the two is just staggering.

Thoughts and constructive criticism are welcome!

Deftmetal 01-07-2014 01:03 PM

I have a manual GS and its great. The bigger engine could be nice but I wouldn't need it really.

Most guage clusters in newer cars are interchangeable but there would be no guarantee that one of the other computer modules would also need to be changed.

rvoll 01-07-2014 01:06 PM

Here's the deal. From a marketing standpoint, the people at Mazda thought that anyone wanting performance would buy the 2.5L. Anyone wanting economy would want the smaller 2.0L. Economy buyers are not looking to race their cars so the speedo is more important than the tach. People who want performance, will be more interested in the tach. Remember, the high end auto has paddle shifters so the tach is useful.

I believe Mazda is trying to move their cars from the young street racer to a family/boomer market and they've set the options accordingly. With the oncoming of Hyundai and Kia, and with the high expense of production in Japan, they can no longer compete on the low end. That's also why you don't see a Mazdaspeed 3...

They certainly captured me with that strategy since I have never bought a Mazda before. It seems to me that the bulk of the enthusiasts on this board are fairly young and like removing trim, getting black or colored wheels, looking for lowering and aero kits, etc. That is a losing market now that Mazda is no longer associated with Ford. Remember, Mazda hasn't made a profit (except last year) for the past several years. You can't survive if you can't make a profit.

color0 01-07-2014 01:57 PM

Well said. With the loaded sGT into the 30k's it's pretty obvious that Mazda is trying to press upmarket and get some profits. This economy is a great time to win over younger buyers into your brand, but not till you have some revenue to play with.

I would just wait a little longer for the 6MT s Touring. Just like the 2012 Skys had a round of trans and throttle problems that were solved in 2013, you can expect the 2015 3's to have had more of their teething issues ironed out, Mexico production included.

If you do get the 2.0, I would bet that the clusters are interchangeable unless the sGT has more features you can't get on the iGT. Check to be sure.

Crafty_z28 01-07-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worth_fixing (Post 554122)
Hey guys,

I'm trading in the GTI for a 2014 Mazda 3 2.0L GS this spring. I won't get the GT because it's too expensive and only comes with the automatic, leather seats and a ton of electronic crap I don't want. I also don't want to wait too long for a manual GT as they'll all be made in Mexico starting late this year, so now's the time to pull the trigger, while they're still made in Japan.

It's just...the tachometer. God, why oh why does the 2.0L get the shitty digital tachometer and central speedometer, while the beautiful central tachometer comes solely with the 2.5L?!

...my true question is...has anyone tried to swap them? No...? I didn't think so. Somebody please let me know if this is even remotely doable; I'll be listenning closely.

Believe it or not, I've actually contacted Mazda Canada about this, and I got a predictable response of "we strongly recommend against this, it'll void the warranty" which I totally understand. I'm still curious if I could potentially do this; the difference between the two is just staggering.

Thoughts and constructive criticism are welcome!

trust me, I went through the same thoughts... I wanted a stick... not a silly flappy paddle gearbox, I drove the 2.5L, and even though it wasn't slow by any means.. I wasn't really sure it was worth the extra cash... the 2.0L was more than enough for the car. I'm not necessarily easy on it and I still have a lot of fun, also i plan on autocrossing it this next year. I mapped out a "road course" through some local backroads, and I smoked my time in my friend's RSX, and was just a bit slow of my Z-28. once springs, sway bars, and some small power mods come out. I think I can do pretty good with this thing.

as for the tach.. I'm disappointed as well, if it doesn't cost a whole lot, I wouldn't mind trying to swap them out. I dont see it being all that hard as long as you know what you are doing.

byrdman77 01-07-2014 01:59 PM

Just one other option to think about unless you hate the styling/somewhat dated interior:

I have still seen a number of '13s (maybe they are still around in Canada too?) new for $4-5k off MSRP. You of course do get the analog tach with that. Mind you as an owner of a second gen I refuse to test drive one of the new ones to avoid temptation to trade in and lose major depreciation money :cheesy:

oldman 01-07-2014 01:59 PM

Rvoll, I think you are mostly right. But I think even us old farts that don't want the bigger wheels, engine, and expensive luxury items think the digital tach is really, really, really dumb.

I think this is really more about differentiating the I vs S models than anything else. I have the iTouring and it is not a boring commuter. I have loads of fun and it performs great even with the supposedly "weak" 2.0L. Plus, us wimpy 2.0L guys need the tach more because our engine needs all those revs just to keep up with minivans right? :tongue:

Its kinda sad too because Mazda probably could have saved a bit of production cost by make just the one style of dashboard.

To me the only reason not to use the analog tach/digital speedo is for fleet/rental vehicles. So, they could have just used the one style for all the cars except the automatic SV (which does not have a tach at all) and called it a day.

rvoll 01-07-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 554218)
Rvoll, I think you are mostly right. But I think even us old farts that don't want the bigger wheels, engine, and expensive luxury items think the digital tach is really, really, really dumb.

I think this is really more about differentiating the I vs S models than anything else. I have the iTouring and it is not a boring commuter. I have loads of fun and it performs great even with the supposedly "weak" 2.0L. Plus, us wimpy 2.0L guys need the tach more because our engine needs all those revs just to keep up with minivans right? :tongue:

Its kinda sad too because Mazda probably could have saved a bit of production cost by make just the one style of dashboard.

To me the only reason not to use the analog tach/digital speedo is for fleet/rental vehicles. So, they could have just used the one style for all the cars except the automatic SV (which does not have a tach at all) and called it a day.

Actually, we over 60 boomers do want the bigger wheels, engine, and especially the luxury items because we're the ones with the money and are downsizing from larger luxury cars. Just look at BMW and Mercedes and Audi. And no, you don't need a tach to keep up with minivans. Most people who drive manual trans econoboxes don't know how to use a tach properly anyway.

Since most of what Mazda sells, by far, are automatics, it doesn't make any sense to have a large tach and small speedo on the 2.0L. However, you do need a tach with the 2.5L and paddle shifters. And you can't have one kind of dash for manuals and another for autos -- that would be too expensive.

Again, since most of the cars Mazda sells are auto, the speedo is what needs to be front and center (unless you have a heads up display and paddle shifters like I do....)

oldman 01-07-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvoll (Post 554234)
Actually, we over 60 boomers do want the bigger wheels, engine, and especially the luxury items because we're the ones with the money and are downsizing from larger luxury cars. Just look at BMW and Mercedes and Audi. And no, you don't need a tach to keep up with minivans. Most people who drive manual trans econoboxes don't know how to use a tach properly anyway.

Since most of what Mazda sells, by far, are automatics, it doesn't make any sense to have a large tach and small speedo on the 2.0L. However, you do need a tach with the 2.5L and paddle shifters. And you can't have one kind of dash for manuals and another for autos -- that would be too expensive.

Again, since most of the cars Mazda sells are auto, the speedo is what needs to be front and center (unless you have a heads up display and paddle shifters like I do....)

I wasn't saying there weren't older drivers wanting the bigger stuff, but what I did say was that just because some of us older drivers do not want that other stuff, it does not mean we want the analog speedo and digital tach. And even without the paddle shifters the the analog tach/digital speedo is far more useful. The analog speedo on the I models is only useful for estimating your speed within ~2-3MPH. The hash marks and needle width just aren't granular enough to know your exact speed. A quick glance really just gets you your speed +/- ~5MPH. The only way to know my exact speed is to set the cruise control and my actual speed will show up in the infor screen to the right of the speedo.

At least with the digital speedo, you know your exact speed at a glance. Also, regardless of engine size, paddle shifters, or whatever, the bigger analog tach is simply easier to read than the tiny digital one. So, I respectfully reject your argument that the engine size, transmission type and/or shift controls should dictate the gauges. IMHO, Mazda should just use the one superior gauge cluster for all the cars and save production cost.

(I will concede that it is correct for MAZDA to have a different dash for the auto SV. It has no tach at all, and that is fine for the fleet/rental cars which that model is mostly intended.)

Anyhoo, good discussion. Maybe others can chime in with what they think. Maybe somebody likes the digital tach?

rvoll 01-07-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 554362)
I wasn't saying there weren't older drivers wanting the bigger stuff, but what I did say was that just because some of us older drivers do not want that other stuff, it does not mean we want the analog speedo and digital tach. And even without the paddle shifters the the analog tach/digital speedo is far more useful. The analog speedo on the I models is only useful for estimating your speed within ~2-3MPH. The hash marks and needle width just aren't granular enough to know your exact speed. A quick glance really just gets you your speed +/- ~5MPH. The only way to know my exact speed is to set the cruise control and my actual speed will show up in the infor screen to the right of the speedo.

At least with the digital speedo, you know your exact speed at a glance. Also, regardless of engine size, paddle shifters, or whatever, the bigger analog tach is simply easier to read than the tiny digital one. So, I respectfully reject your argument that the engine size, transmission type and/or shift controls should dictate the gauges. IMHO, Mazda should just use the one superior gauge cluster for all the cars and save production cost.

(I will concede that it is correct for MAZDA to have a different dash for the auto SV. It has no tach at all, and that is fine for the fleet/rental cars which that model is mostly intended.)

Anyhoo, good discussion. Maybe others can chime in with what they think. Maybe somebody likes the digital tach?

Personally, I would always want a tach -- just like you. But marketing is marketing and we are in the minority. Mazda needs to make business decisions for the majority of their potential customers who will buy the lower priced models with automatic transmissions. I doubt whether more than 20% of their buyer base will buy a MT. If you have an automatic, you just don't need a tach unless you have the paddle shifters which are not available on the lower trims. Therefore, the only decision they can make is the one they did or they will continue to lose money. And if that continues, we will not see any Mazda's in the future.