2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

2014 Mazdaspeed3?

35K views 52 replies 26 participants last post by  JRT2028 
#1 ·
Ever since a conversation I had with my DSM about the time that the 2014 Mazda6 came out, I basically found out that there will NOT be a 2014 Speed3. Well, I've heard otherwise today.

A sales training representative came in today to do classes with our sales department and introduced the 2014 Mazda3 hatchback. She mentioned that there were plans in the works for a new Speed3, but I didn't get details. I'm not sure of the likelihood and I can't find any information outside of a few fanboi renders, but it definitely sparked my interest.

Lets discuss.

#2 ·
Nope there will not be a new speed 3. Mazda announced 9 months ago that 13 model will be the last until further notice. Next one will be the speed 6 or maybe a miata. I'll have to find the bulletin. Maybe @warlord can find it since he had it in one of his post

Reactions: XKXXKXe30
#6 ·
They should take their time and get it right. They need to focus on the upcoming MX-5 and make it sure it beats the FRS/BRZ in stock form. And if they are planning a Mazdaspeed based on a SkyActiv car, it has to be a Mazdaspeed6.

#7 ·
I sure hope you are wrong. A MazdaSpeedBoat?
The Mazda6, like the entire class is geared towards the baby boomers. Big old people cars. Though they desperately need some type of engine to keep up with the ~250hp in their class

I agree with the MX-5 'Speed', then MazdaSpeed3 using whatever power plant is in the MX-5 'Speed', followed by maybe a MazdaSpeed6.

#13 ·
The problem with making it AWD is that it will clearly bump the MS3 into direct competition with the Evo, Ralliart Lancer, STi, and WRX. I know right now, they're sort of in the same class, but the AWD is the big separator. Currently, the actual direct competitors with the MS3 are the Focus ST and the Golf GTI. The second you put it in the same class as the Evo, Ralliart Lancer, WRX, and STi, you have to step up many of the features to match what the STi/Evo has. If you're Mazda, and you want to step into that market, you need to go after the STi/Evo, as going after the 2nd from the top is a waste of time.

With how the FWD MS3 is priced right now, just the bump up to AWD would price it above the WRX, but still less than the STi. It wold also be more than the Ralliart and less than the Evo. Then, to outfit the MS3 with the Brembo brakes (or equivalent, like on the STi), rally-tuned suspension, and bump up the horse power to over 300. At that point, you'd probably be priced on-par or higher than the STi and Evo. And that market is pretty hardened and difficult to bust into.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be fucking rad as hell, but from a business perspective, it would be tricky.

#14 ·
I don't agree with that. I think if it were in that class it is world's better in quality of materials than the sti or evo.
It all comes down to price. I top of the line sti runs about 35-37k. A topped put speed is 25k. With 2k of mods on a speed it is much faster than either of those. Plus from a roll a speed is just as fast at an sti stock to stock. For mazda to step up the price of the speed would be stupid. They already aren't top sellers and the speed is the best bang for your buck in performance of really any car available.

Think about this. A topped put camaro ss is what, about 45k. You can buy 2 speeds for that price. The ss is 426 hp. Two speeds would equal 526 hp. Yea you can't drive two at the same time but for the power you get the speed is the best bargain.

#16 ·
LOL I get all that. I'm just saying if Mazda were to step into the AWD market, they would need to up the power to at least 300hp (added weight of the AWD, to match the "sticker specs" of the STi and Evo). And then in doing that, and outfitting it with the all the factory parts that the Evo and STi come loaded with, it would price the AWD MS3 at or above that of an STi or Evo. Yes, the MS3 will be built better, handle better, etc. but the 300hp AWD market is pretty black or white. At least in North America, if you're looking at an AWD turbocharged car under 40K, you look to a STi or an Evo. The only way to crack that market is to make a car that has, on paper, the same horsepower, same features, same premium accessories, AND to price it under (albeit slightly) the competitors.

I mean, a way around it would be to have 2 trim levels (STi to WRX, Evo to Ralliart), but then you still have to put the R&D in to make an AWD drivetrain that can compete with the established Subaru and Mitsubishi ones, and then price it competitively.

Mazdaspeed customers are going to be Mazdaspeed regardless of the drivetrain.

#15 ·
I was looking at a few cars when I was shopping around a few weeks ago. I have always wanted a speed3. in the end, the speed3 was the best bang for the buck. at $24,200 sticker price, I couldn't find another car that matched the value. except maybe the focus ST. but, I am a little biased towards mazda. like swerv said, best bang for the buck.

if price were to go up, say above $30,000, than I would of looked into an Evo or Sti. for future buyers of the speed3, I hope the price doesn't go up on the next gen speed3.

#19 · (Edited)
The strong rumors are it's going to come with a aspirated engine because from what I read a senior engineer at mazda head quarters was saying that they are trying to get the most out of a skyactive engine technology. Although Mazda has not officially announced a new mazdaspeed 3.
To be honest guys, if mazda does this, they are going down hill in that category. After reading about this, boy I am so glad I bought the 2013 model. They are probably the last production badges from factory.Like funkydslr said I'll definitely be more than glad with my recent purchase of my MS3.
For a second I thought maybe Mazda would boost up the engine to a 2.5 or maybe add a all-wheel drive but like a lot of you have mentioned, it adds price big time , specially if you add brembo brakes, recaro bucket seats etc. Mazda should definitely keep the current turbo engine.
Although this doesn't surprise me, you guys remember the mazda rx7 saga and the mazdaspeed 6,
mazda after a few years of production they took out mazda rx 7 twin turbo to give mazda owners the crappy mazda rx8 which doesn't even come close to the wankel 13b twin turbo rotary engine which is still nowadays a legend in street races, a car who is still a winner. They also took out the mazdaspeed 6 after near 2 years.

Yesterday I went to the dealership to buy my oil filter and my friend who works at the dealership was trying to show off the pictures of the supposedly new ms3 2014. He told me that the car was suppose to come with one dash gauge like the minicooper s, leds on the front beams like audi, and that the car was more like European style. I told him, look I'm more of a JDM look and not European and the bargain I got on the 2013 tech package model was pretty good! Im not going to pay probably over 35K for the car specially if its aspirated. The MS3 2013 here in PR was tagged at a price of 33K to 35K and I got mine for $31,600. If the new one comes out, like I said if it comes out it will be probably tagged near 37,500 for an aspirated engine, WHAT????? not me guys, if that would of been the case, by by mazda I'm moving to another brand.To be honest I don't care about 2014 model because probably mazda is ready to commit another brutality mistake like Toyota did with the supra. I love my ms3 2013 and I re-affirm my recent purchase
COME ON MAZDA, WHAT IN THE WORLD IS WRONG WITH YOU?DON'T COMMIT THE SAME MISTAKE TOYOTA DID WITH THE LAST SUPRA!!!
In conclusion, I believe if a car is doing it's performance and sales and some people like to purchase it, don't take it out of production, at least have it available by special order!!!

Reactions: skyactiv12
#20 ·
The speed isn't a hot seller. Plus this engine has been used for 7 years. It's time for a change. The speed 3 is the only mazdaspeed car to get a second generation. But all good things come to an end. Consumer wants change and the companies have to follow those wants. I think a NA engine making 200-220 hp is perfect. Look at the gti. It's under powered compared to the speed but it's sales are incredibly higher. It appeals to more people. Auto or manual, 2 or 4 doors. People want those choices. The speed is a great car but it only appeals to a small market of people.

#22 ·
Think about if the speed 3 is the only mazdaspeed model that has had a second generation is because it actually has been a good seller. Why would mazda make a second generation model , if the sales have not been good enough? the engine won its awards back in 2010 and has been the best bang for the buck.
The gti here the basic model cost the same or even more than the ms3. To be honest you don't see to much sales of the gti here, even with all the options they offer.I looked into the gti but I made my choice for ms3 specially considering the price was less for more and plus I prefer japan auto over german.

#24 ·
Hey swerv!

I guess is all a matter of region taste. P.R. is a very strong supporter of
japanese auto, specially mazda. The speed 3 that come to the island, once
they reach the shipyard they have already been sold. Very few reach the dealer.
This is why i gave 400.00 to separate my unit when it was on its way to PR, plus
german parts here in the island are more expensive. If i was to change from
mazdaspeed3, would be to a subaru sti or wrx limited edition if talking about
hatch.
You know after all this conversation about this matter, makes me more
conscious about really taking good care of the car and treating it nice because
we do not know if there is going to be a turbo model in the future.
As for me i take a speed3, mazda rx7 twin turno, or a ms6 over any vw.
The only vw that caught my attention was the golf R , which was a special
edition which they only made certain quantity and is no longer available.
Remember import over german , yep that's right!

Reactions: swerv0428
#25 ·
I agree with you man. I would take a mazda any day over a VW. I love the speed 3 and hate to see it go away but I just also agree with a tuned down version. I think its the best choice for them. A speed mx-5 is stupid. It has an even smaller market than the speed 3. A new AWD speed 6 would be to expensive in my opinion to push a lot of units. But we all just have to wait now and see if any of these rumors floating around are factual or not.

#27 ·
Like I said if they make an N/A speed3 they will be killed in the segment, it doesnt matter if they can get 220 hp the car will have 180tq maybe and everything will kill it. Look at the new SI man, it is shit. That's what will happen. They should experiment with a 2.0 turbo if they want slightly better fuel economy. Just doesn't make any sense. The 2014 GTI increased power and still gets better MPG, lost weight, and got a stronger chasis... this is what Mazda needs to do if the expect any kind of sales on the car. I don't want to see another SI or brz competitor with N/A. All anyone does is complain the brz/frs is underpowered cause it is. And the reason is N/A.

#28 ·
you don't buy a sports car for the mpg. you buy it for what it is, a freakin sports car. I hope mazda doesn't go in the SI direction. more power is not even needed. maybe mazda will go crazy and offer a speed3 in 2 versions with 2 engine options. maybe awd too.

maybe mazda is trying to create a whole new Speed car. so, it won't be a speed3, but be a completely new model speed. a new name, new design, new engine, new chassis, the whole 9 yards. that would be interesting to see.

#29 ·
I think the speed's will come to and end, like others have before. Mazda just hasn't been able to get a big consumer base for any of their speeds. The MS3 has sold in decent amounts but I'm sure nowhere near what mazda would like. With things changing I would not be surprised if mazda speed turned into a high reving n/a engine with decent gas milage so the car would appeal to more potential buyers.

The upside...If you're buying a speed the redesigned 2014 3's will probably drive down the price of the 2nd gens! I'm still waiting to get my car sold and will head over to the dealer to pick myself up a 2013. Maybe with tech package if the price is right!

#32 ·
The upside...If you're buying a speed the redesigned 2014 3's will probably drive down the price of the 2nd gens! I'm still waiting to get my car sold and will head over to the dealer to pick myself up a 2013. Maybe with tech package if the price is right!
I'm waiting for my new job to begin in early fall to get a MS3. I really am hoping that there are at least a few new ones left at dealerships. I've had bad luck with buying used...

The redesigned 2014 3 sedan does look good, and it would be tempting if there are not MS3's left...

I've been wanting a MS3 for years just couldn't afford it, and now that I will have a professional position... it is coming to the end of the mazda speed era? :(

Who knows, maybe we will all be surprised with Mazda putting a turbo onto the 2014's 2L..

All I know is, I don't want the new 2014's to lower the price too much, I really want one to be left when I look to buy... (hopefully in 2 months) haha

#30 ·
Ok guys I agree with you all! One thing we have to take into consideration is that if we take this to the extreme,
it's a sports car(hatchback), its not a toyota yaris or nissan versa so who ever is buying a car this type thinking about economy or many other options, I hate to tell them they are in the wrong sector.
I know our cars are not a ferrari but think about it, not everybody can afford a ferrari, but who has one, bought it not thinking about economy, on the contrary they bought it because of style and performance.
MS3 is kind of the same, its a unique car in its class(in other words,its got its crowd fans, not for everybody).

This is simple, if mazda wants to tune down the car, might as well retire from the class because to be honest there are many strong competitors in the N/A class. Look at the honda s2000, 245 hp aspirated with potential of tuning.The sentra ser-vspec 200hp with qr20 engine,3 to 1 factory header which pulls pretty hard without turbo.My friend had one and one of the cars that he was pulling were honda civics.
To make the long story short, Mazda really needs to think hard before down tuning the car because they could be looking at there own defeat in that class.Mazda has been respected for years because of its rotary engines and turbo engines, not aspirated. But oh well if that's there choice I respect it but don't agree. A sports car is a sports car, not a economy car neither hybrid. Ferrari, Porsche, lamborghini, Nissan and other car brands, when they make a sports car model, they are not thinking about customers who want economy, its for customers who like the sports and hobby and that have money to afford the car and hobby. You rarely see this brands downgrading there sports models. It's simple, you want economy buy yourself a toyota yaris or a hybrid model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.