JBR Short Ram Intake for 2.5 14-16 Mzd3 SALE - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SoulSpice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
SoulSpice
Points: 999, Level: 16 Points: 999, Level: 16 Points: 999, Level: 16
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

JBR Short Ram Intake for 2.5 14-16 Mzd3 SALE

Hi everyone. I realize I do not meet the minimum posts required to post in the classified section, but I was hoping to get someone a good deal on here, and help me out a bit in the process. I purchased this intake new from JBR Racing about 3 months ago, and decided to stick with the stock airbox. I ended up coming across an AEM Dry filter panel cheap, and will use that with a modified stock box. This has never been used with the vehicle running. I performed a test fitment, and that is it! Photos are attached. I am asking 160 shipped to anywhere United States. I don't believe I can PM back, I may be wrong, but please PM me your phone number if you are interested. I hope this does not seem suspicious, as I do not look to scam anyone that loves Mazdas too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MZD.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	6.06 MB
ID:	196546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mazda Intake.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	6.16 MB
ID:	196554  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 11:27 AM
droberto
Points: 1,347, Level: 20 Points: 1,347, Level: 20 Points: 1,347, Level: 20
Activity: 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Can I ask how you modified your airbox and what effects you had from it? I have an AEM filter as well.

2016 Mazda 3 iTouring
Currently:
- BlueBatmobile fog/turn/taillight overlays
- AEM drop in filter

Plans:
- 35% rear tint, Axela rebadge, Footwell lighting, Hella horns, alloy pedals, Window visors, MIT grill, Plate relocation, Baysonr lip and side skirts, Speedline oem style spoiler, RallyArmor mud flaps, Corksport SRI, Borla exhaust, Eibach/RB lowering springs, Enkei RPF1 17x8 et45
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
SoulSpice

Hey droberto. I removed the plastic silencer piece that was attached to stock box. Sealed off the opening with heat shield tape. Sealed the foam like area at the back of the snorkel pulling in air at the core support front beam. I then drilled a 3 inch hole at the bottom of the stock box, and ran a 3 inch plastic flex tube up to the the front lower grill opening. Sealed it with heat shield tape. Should pull in a bit more cold air. I don't have active shutters in that area, so I dont know if it would work with cars that have i-Eloop. I might be losing a bit on the top end without a true cold air filter setup, but I will most likely gain from less heat soak, and better climate adaptability in the long run. Sorry dont have any pics at the moment.
Will most likely stick with custom high flow exhaust, and an OV tune. That will be all she wrote in the engine upgrade department.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
SoulSpice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSpice View Post
Hey droberto. I removed the plastic silencer piece that was attached to stock box. Sealed off the opening with heat shield tape. Sealed the foam like area at the back of the snorkel pulling in air at the core support front beam. I then drilled a 3 inch hole at the bottom of the stock box, and ran a 3 inch plastic flex tube up to the the front lower grill opening. Sealed it with heat shield tape. Should pull in a bit more cold air. I don't have active shutters in that area, so I dont know if it would work with cars that have i-Eloop. I might be losing a bit on the top end without a true cold air filter setup, but I will most likely gain from less heat soak, and better climate adaptability in the long run. Sorry dont have any pics at the moment.
Will most likely stick with custom high flow exhaust, and an OV tune. That will be all she wrote in the engine upgrade department.
The effects are better intake sound, from removing the silencer, and cant tell anything performance wise. The car came with the AEM filter, and didn't realize it had it until after I ordered the SRI. I can only imagine it will help things along when I get the tune done with performance exhaust.
btijet likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 02:52 PM
arathol
Points: 3,303, Level: 35 Points: 3,303, Level: 35 Points: 3,303, Level: 35
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)

Quote:
If you ran an intake tube up from the lower grill and blocked off the foam, you are setting yourself up for possible problems. That tube you installed is now the only air source. As such, if it gets water or snow or anything else for that matter drawn into it airflow could be blocked off considerably. As you seem to have mounted the intake low on the front of the grill, chances are pretty good you may ingest at least some water if you drive in the rain. Suck in enough (splashing through a puddle etc) and that is the end of your motor. There is a reason that Mazda put the intake where they did. Also, I think you will find not a whole lot of difference between the factory box and your altered box. The factory intake draws in more than enough cold air. Heat soak will not be any more or less of a problem because that happens mostly when the car is not moving fast enough to carry heat away from the underhood area. Unless you heavily insulate the entire box its going to happen. In addition, if you are using the stock box and OEM style filter, removing the intake tube and resonator may cause a dip in midrange power. If you are interested in why look up Helmholtz resonator.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
SoulSpice

arathol,

I appreciate the info there! The the front mounted intake is still attached, as I did not remove it. So air is flowing through that, and the lower intake portion. The lower intake is not mounted directly in front of the lower grill, but getting catching air from the side. So water will not be shot into it, rather, if I get into some water greater than 6 inches deep, there maybe problems if I dont tread carefully, but I will refrain from that. I will look into the Helmholtz phenomenon, but I would thing the lower intake would alleviate pressure differences created within the box.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 10:06 AM
da_jokker
Points: 4,416, Level: 42 Points: 4,416, Level: 42 Points: 4,416, Level: 42
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

I've asked and googled myself to try and find out what the felt filter\screen is for in directly behind the snorkel to no avail. Some think it is for snow, but I think it actually is for pressure relief.

Meaning that as you are driving down the road, that wind is being forced into that snorkel regardless if it wants it or not. at some point, more air could be getting forced in while the Helmholtz effect is actually trying to allow of waves of air to come back. This would result in a collision and turbulence.

I think the felt screen allows for some of that extra pressure to pass through into the engine compartment. In addition, right before I turned in my VW, I noticed it had a very similar setup, however instead of a felt screen, it was just completely open.

Since there is no way it was meant to suck in air from the engine side, it clearly means (at least to me) that the snorkels were designed to sort of have a stream of air readily available but only when needed (instead of being actually FORCED. Sort of like if you were to put a straw directly in a stream of water. the water just keeps on passing by until you suck on the straw and then the water is right there.

Anyway.... it would be interesting to see if that 3" tube you ran is actually Exhaling instead of Inhaling since you now have no way for the front air to escape. One way of testing this would be to put a computer fan in the bottom of your air box and hook a voltmeter up to it. If the fan spins one way, it will produce + volts, the other way will produce - volts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
SoulSpice

Quote:
Hi everyone. I realize I do not meet the minimum posts required to post in the classified section, but I was hoping to get someone a good deal on here, and help me out a bit in the process. I purchased this intake new from JBR Racing about 3 months ago, and decided to stick with the stock airbox. I ended up coming across an AEM Dry filter panel cheap, and will use that with a modified stock box. This has never been used with the vehicle running. I performed a test fitment, and that is it! Photos are attached. I am asking 160 shipped to anywhere United States. I don't believe I can PM back, I may be wrong, but please PM me your phone number if you are interested. I hope this does not seem suspicious, as I do not look to scam anyone that loves Mazdas too
Item is still available. Willing to take 140 with shipping! 40 off retail.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:09 PM
Shinyshow"16
Points: 786, Level: 14 Points: 786, Level: 14 Points: 786, Level: 14
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Are you in southern california by any chance? Im interested in this offer, but I can only pay in cash.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:09 PM
Shinyshow"16
Points: 786, Level: 14 Points: 786, Level: 14 Points: 786, Level: 14
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Wait nvm, just saw your location lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1416 , intake , jbr , mazda 3 2.5 , mzd3 , performance , ram , sale , short

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode