Moderation of posts by new members? - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
mil
Points: 838, Level: 15 Points: 838, Level: 15 Points: 838, Level: 15
Activity: 30%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Moderation of posts by new members?

Slightly over 24h ago I posted a fairly long message, with images in attachments, to this thread:

2014-2017-mazda-3-skyactiv-discussion/192858-usb-ports-useless.html (as a new user I can't post links)

On submitting it, I saw for a moment some message about moderation, which disappeared too quickly for me to read in its entirety.

As I said, it's been over 24h and my message still hasn't appeared in the thread. Needless to say, this is extremely irritating. Am I being moderated because I'm a new member with no reputation? Fair enough, and I'm sure you have good reasons for doing things this way, but I think it's reasonable of me to expect timely moderation in return. If moderators are too busy with other things, then maybe moderation should be turned off?

It's a chicken-and-egg problem: how can new members build a reputation if the system blocks their posts?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:12 AM
Davidval18
Points: 5,599, Level: 48 Points: 5,599, Level: 48 Points: 5,599, Level: 48
Activity: 48%
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

To find the reason of what happened, please contact one of the moderators or check your inbox for private messages.

Usually when a thread, pictures or comments are deleted, it's because forum rules have been breached.

Finally, your reputation does not influence the deletion of threads, comments or pics, as far that I'm aware of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:53 AM
darvetis
Points: 2,571, Level: 30 Points: 2,571, Level: 30 Points: 2,571, Level: 30
Activity: 65%
Activity: 65% Activity: 65% Activity: 65%

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mil View Post
As I said, it's been over 24h and my message still hasn't appeared in the thread. Needless to say, this is extremely irritating. Am I being moderated because I'm a new member with no reputation? Fair enough, and I'm sure you have good reasons for doing things this way, but I think it's reasonable of me to expect timely moderation in return. If moderators are too busy with other things, then maybe moderation should be turned off?

It's a chicken-and-egg problem: how can new members build a reputation if the system blocks their posts?!
It's only been 24 hours, be a little bit more patient.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:05 PM
Road Trip
Experienced Gearhead
Points: 3,779, Level: 38 Points: 3,779, Level: 38 Points: 3,779, Level: 38
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Garage
For new members, the reason for this posting delay is that when a forum has no post review of moderators seeing first posts, a car forum gets repeatedly spammed by fake accounts, with some of that spam containing malicious links for those who click on it.

Each forum has a different means of dealing with spam, and we all are glad this forum has done a great job of controlling it. On another car forum where I am a moderator, we had to institute more rigorous spam controls in the last 4 months due to a spam epidemic (which we have thankfully now controlled). The new method (as all spam control) has also has some initial downside for new members, but all work through it with patience.
darvetis likes this.

Jan. 25th ordered Mazda 3 GT hatch; Feb. 3rd allocation awarded; Feb. 8th official options/color confirmed; Feb. 27th assembly completed; April 2nd left Japan on transport ship; April 17th arrived at Port of Tacoma; April 26th arrived at dealer. HOORAY!

Below picture thanks and credit to Skagerstrom, for that is his beauty below, the inspiration for what our car will look like.

The Following User Says Thank You to Road Trip For This Useful Post:
stevenvillatoro (03-19-2017)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidval18 View Post
To find the reason of what happened, please contact one of the moderators or check your inbox for private messages.
I'd love to contact the moderators. Who are they? Where is the list of active moderators of this forum?

Also, I have no private messages in my inbox.

Quote:
Usually when a thread, pictures or comments are deleted, it's because forum rules have been breached.
My message wasn't deleted. It was never posted on the site, it's being held in moderation by the system.

Quote:
Finally, your reputation does not influence the deletion of threads, comments or pics, as far that I'm aware of.
But it does limit your ability to post in the first place. I can't post links or images until I reach 20 (?) posts. And, as I found out the hard way, if I post images as attachments, my messages end up in a limbo.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by darvetis View Post
It's only been 24 hours, be a little bit more patient.
Well, it's over 36 hours now, and counting. How long do you think is reasonable? (serious question)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Road Trip
Experienced Gearhead
Points: 3,779, Level: 38 Points: 3,779, Level: 38 Points: 3,779, Level: 38
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Garage
Send a message to Arathol or Loud3.

Jan. 25th ordered Mazda 3 GT hatch; Feb. 3rd allocation awarded; Feb. 8th official options/color confirmed; Feb. 27th assembly completed; April 2nd left Japan on transport ship; April 17th arrived at Port of Tacoma; April 26th arrived at dealer. HOORAY!

Below picture thanks and credit to Skagerstrom, for that is his beauty below, the inspiration for what our car will look like.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:46 PM
darvetis
Points: 2,571, Level: 30 Points: 2,571, Level: 30 Points: 2,571, Level: 30
Activity: 65%
Activity: 65% Activity: 65% Activity: 65%

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mil View Post
Well, it's over 36 hours now, and counting. How long do you think is reasonable? (serious question)
It's the weekend and the forum has a limited number of moderators. I'd wait until at least Monday. Sorry you find a 36 hour wait unreasonable.

Again, be patient.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
For new members, the reason for this posting delay is that when a forum has no post review of moderators seeing first posts, a car forum gets repeatedly spammed by fake accounts, with some of that spam containing malicious links for those who click on it.

Each forum has a different means of dealing with spam, and we all are glad this forum has done a great job of controlling it. On another car forum where I am a moderator, we had to institute more rigorous spam controls in the last 4 months due to a spam epidemic (which we have thankfully now controlled). The new method (as all spam control) has also has some initial downside for new members, but all work through it with patience.
Thank you for your explanation, I appreciate it. Yes, I understand that spam is a big problem. As a new member, I also noticed right away the high signal/noise ratio on the forums, the lack of sexually explicit images that plague some other car sites, etc. I know it doesn't "just happen" -- it requires effort from the community, and I really appreciate it.

The point I'm trying to make is that stringent spam policy needs to be coupled with responsive, timely human-in-the-loop response to be effective and not harmful. I'm not seeing any evidence of that here. I can't find a document clearly spelling out what the policy is, I can't find a list of moderators, etc. My newcomer's view is that this site is running on autopilot, with no committed administrators or moderators. My guess is that my original message that triggered me to start this thread is going to be held in a limbo forever because there's nobody to actually click "Approve" in some moderator panel. I could be wrong on this of course, and I don't mean to offend any hard working individuals, but that's the impression I'm currently getting as a new member.

So my current plan of action is to game the system by posting mostly meaningless "me too" messages in some existing threads to reach the post count of 20 and then hopefully the system will automatically lift the restrictions I'm currently under and I'll finally be able to post messages I wanted to post in the first place. Heck, with this one thread I have now tripled my message count. I think we can agree though that this is not an optimal solution to the problem...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
mil

Thanks guys. I just wrote a longer response to your helpful comments but it's being held in moderation too.

I guess I'm not allowed to post more than a paragraph. Sigh...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
members , moderation , posts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode