post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Firechris
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

ROOF RACK HELP

Does anyone know of cheap roof racks that will fit a 2016 Mazda 3? Plan on using it to haul 2 kayaks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 05:02 PM
bentin
Points: 1,679, Level: 23 Points: 1,679, Level: 23 Points: 1,679, Level: 23
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

The OEM rack is probably the cheapest and comes with the ditch rails you'll need with non OEM racks. I run the Yakima Rail Grab rack with a fairing, not the cheapest, but more accessories fit and steel Yakima round bars support more weight than aluminum Thule or aero bars.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 10:06 AM
nsherry61
. . . . . . . . . .
Points: 223, Level: 4 Points: 223, Level: 4 Points: 223, Level: 4
Activity: 46%
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentin View Post
The OEM rack is probably the cheapest and comes with the ditch rails you'll need with non OEM racks. I run the Yakima Rail Grab rack with a fairing, not the cheapest, but more accessories fit and steel Yakima round bars support more weight than aluminum Thule or aero bars.
It looks to me like the OEM rack for the current models might actually be a Yakima rack. The DOT limits all car-top racks to a maximum capacity of 165 lbs, and all the crossbars by both Thule and Yakima can handle that weight and more. The real weight limit is the attachment points on the car, which for these cars, I would hope is the full 165 lbs.

Last edited by nsherry61; 05-17-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 04:02 PM
bentin
Points: 1,679, Level: 23 Points: 1,679, Level: 23 Points: 1,679, Level: 23
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
It looks to me like the OEM rack for the current models might actually be a Yakima rack. The DOT limits all car-top racks to a maximum capacity of 165 lbs, and all the crossbars by both Thule and Yakima can handle that weight and more. The real weight limit is the attachment points on the car, which for these cars, I would hope is the full 165 lbs.
I had aluminum Thule crossbars bend with just a single kayak on the roof, so don't be so sure. It's pretty common for aluminum bars to bend, I have yet to see the round, steel Yakimas fail for anything but garage run ins.

I'd be inclined to try to stay a good bit under the quoted 165 limit on our cars, as the mounting points might be nice and burly, but the surrounding metal that the feet sit on doesn't seem all that thick. I've seen many, many cars damaged where the feet sit when the roof's been overloaded, and while the rack will stay put with 165# on it, it might cause minor cosmetic damage to the surrounding areas. Worth noting that one reason I bought the 3 over a Honda Fit is that the new Fit's roof is too thin to support a rack at all, Yakima and Thule don't support it for roof racks.

Worth pointing out the impact of speed on roof force too. A static 165# roofbox, bikes, kayaks, etc might be well within limits, but run them up to 80+ mph and you're certainly pushing your luck. But as an aside, I used to worry about transporting my bikes at speeds over 80 mph, until I spent a few years in Germany and frequently saw folks with bikes on the roof at speeds up to 250kph, or 155mph. I stopped worrying about it after that.
bsliv likes this.

Last edited by bentin; 05-17-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
rack , roof

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode