How Do You Cope With the Lack of Apple CarPlay Support? - Page 2 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 04:57 PM
vondiesel
Points: 867, Level: 15 Points: 867, Level: 15 Points: 867, Level: 15
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Garage
I use Android thru Bluetooth. Audio and other stuff like Pandora or other streaming media work perfectly, although I don't use Android Auto. Mostly I use a nano USB stick for music. I don't need nav very often, but I do use the built-in sometimes for a quick look around. I only use my phone if absolutely necessary. Looking at a screen (ANY screen) is the last thing I want to do while driving. I'd rather enjoy the experience of, you know, driving.

If your electronics ecosystem is your primary concern, then the Mazda probably isn't your best choice. But as a CAR, it's the equal or better than anything near it's class (safe, comfortable, economical, and much more fun to drive than any other econobox).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Rnbarg
Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor_X View Post
Of course I have my music backed up and flash memory is very robust, I would only worry about it breaking if it was an external mechanical hard drive
I also still get all the album art on MP3's and easy navigation with through the folders.

Did you know it supports and plays uncompressed WAV files? That's the best thing I love about it since I'm an audiophile. Basically CD quality on a USB, and there is no current form of music streaming that matches true CD audio quality
Not just that but yeah I am oldschool and prefer to have my music on a USB stick/computers and not on my phone
You have a relatively simple system that works for you. When the first iPod came out in the early 2000s, it was something like $399.00 and I though it was a complete ripoff. I used all sorts of other methods including burning music to CDs and using MP3 players made by SanDisk. I considered the iPod a poor value and have never bought one. I'm definitely a fan of simplicity.

re:CD (lossless) audio quality being available on IOS devices, it's available, propelled by audio purists such as legendary guitarist Neil Young. Apple was rurmoed to be buying this company.

http://tidal.com/us
https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/c...91-The-Basics-

Obviously, there is a not insignifcant yearly cost. Tidal has deals w/all major record companies and a 40 million track song catalog. If you streamed the lossless quality songs in your car, you might blow thru your data limit in a hurry and maybe have uneven quality. Of course there has been a recent renaissance of unlimited plans with phone carriers. That said, Tidal allows you to download the files to IOS devices, which now have a vast amount of space - at a realistic entry level of 64gb. Would be nice to see Tidal as one of the "audio" apps like Spotify on the Mazda.

Of course, your system rig costs you nothing and it works for you abd that's great. Can't argue with that.

That said, with all the car noise, and Mazda isn't the quietest car on the road, do you really think you can hear the difference between a lossy track @320 bps and lossless. I doubt it. Maybe if you were in a Bentley or a Telsa.

I would like easy access to my Podcasts through Apple's and other Podcast apps downloadable from the app store on a screen like Apple CarPlay, yes so I don't have to interact w/a phone in the car, which is not safe. I can't do that. I would like to be able to. Is it enough of an issue to have leased a different car. Defintely not. But I was surprised that Siri was impossible to use w/out doing a complete end run around the Infotainment system.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Rnbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vondiesel View Post
I use Android thru Bluetooth. Audio and other stuff like Pandora or other streaming media work perfectly, although I don't use Android Auto. Mostly I use a nano USB stick for music. I don't need nav very often, but I do use the built-in sometimes for a quick look around. I only use my phone if absolutely necessary. Looking at a screen (ANY screen) is the last thing I want to do while driving. I'd rather enjoy the experience of, you know, driving.

If your electronics ecosystem is your primary concern, then the Mazda probably isn't your best choice. But as a CAR, it's the equal or better than anything near it's class (safe, comfortable, economical, and much more fun to drive than any other econobox).
An electronics ecosystem is not my primary concern. That's why I leased the Mazda 3. Driving a fun car has always been important to me. That's why I stuck w/my 1994 Subaru AWD Legacy for so many years. It was simply amazing at holding the road and like the Mazda was very light and nimble.

I leased a Lexus GS 350 between 1999 and 2003 and I enjoyed the Subaru more. The Mazda 3 is far more enjoyable to drive than that Lexus.

I'm no worse off now in terms of "An electronics ecosystem" than I was before. The Bose audio system in the GT is incredible. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why Mazda is only one of two major car companies, that don't offer Car Play or Andorid Auto. Re: the latter, you can now have add the latter to the Mazda Infotainment. It runs as one of the apps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 08:12 PM
stevenvillatoro
Points: 820, Level: 15 Points: 820, Level: 15 Points: 820, Level: 15
Activity: 75%
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

How Do You Cope With the Lack of Apple CarPlay Support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnbarg View Post
But I was surprised that Siri was impossible to use w/out doing a complete end run around the Infotainment system.

When I drive, my iPhone is on the center console, and I never need to touch it to use Siri with the "Hey Siri…" command for anything from navigation to dialing, etc., which then get routed through the car speakers. And Pandora is available instantaneously just by un-muting the volume control, since it always auto-pairs.

Think of it as cutting out the middleman, with more direct and faster access than CarPlay could achieve.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 02:19 AM
DocSjulle
Points: 286, Level: 5 Points: 286, Level: 5 Points: 286, Level: 5
Activity: 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

I love the integration between the Infotainment system and my IPhone 7, as I often need to talk on the phone while driving, because of my work. It works great with incoming and outgoing calls, and can read the incoming text messages. All this, using voice commands.
Only thing missing is sending text messages using voice commands.

For music I have an old IPod 160gb plugged in to one of the USB ports in the armrest, and occasionallly use the phone to stream online radios over Bluetooth.

Navigation is working pretty good, though the updates will newer be as frequent as on the mobile phones.
Road Trip likes this.

/DocSjulle
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Rnbarg

Surprise Announcement

Mazda says Apple CarPlay support coming soon, including retroactive upgrades
By Roger Fingas
Monday, March 13, 2017, 01:04 pm PT (04:04 pm ET)

Apple's CarPlay —and Android Auto —will be coming to Mazda vehicles sometime in the near future, the Japanese automaker revealed on Monday, taking it off the list of major holdouts in CarPlay support.

Road Trip likes this.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:23 PM
arathol
Points: 2,223, Level: 28 Points: 2,223, Level: 28 Points: 2,223, Level: 28

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Quote:

By Roger Fingas
Monday, March 13, 2017, 01:04 pm PT (04:04 pm ET)

Apple's CarPlay —and Android Auto —will be coming to Mazda vehicles sometime in the near future, the Japanese automaker revealed on Monday, taking it off the list of major holdouts in CarPlay support.

They have been saying that for how many years now?

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Rnbarg

Mazda Still Planning to Implement Support for CarPlay
Mac Rumors - ‎2 hours ago‎
Mazda Connect has been available in Mazda vehicles since 2014, which, coincidentally, is the year that Mazda first pledged support for CarPlay. Mazda has been listed as a CarPlay partner since shortly after CarPlay first debuted, but it has yet to ...

Mazda to Add Android Auto, Apple CarPlay Capability
Cars.com News - ‎4 hours ago‎
The announcement came at a launch for the redesigned 2017 CX-5, but Mazda did not say which vehicle would be the first to debut with the smartphone mirroring technology installed. However, the part of the announcement that will be more exciting to some ...

AppleInsider (press release) (blog) - ‎1 hour ago‎
Mazda became an official CarPlay partner in 2014, but has remained largely quiet on the issue until now. The biggest gap in Apple's platform remains Toyota, which despite being one of the world's biggest auto firms has actively refused it in favor of ...

http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1...port-coming%2F

http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1...ctive-upgrades

http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1...20694439589%2F

Last edited by Rnbarg; 03-13-2017 at 05:31 PM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:54 PM
arathol
Points: 2,223, Level: 28 Points: 2,223, Level: 28 Points: 2,223, Level: 28

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Mazda Still Planning to Implement Support for CarPlay
Mac Rumors - ‎2 hours ago‎
Mazda Connect has been available in Mazda vehicles since 2014, which, coincidentally, is the year that Mazda first pledged support for CarPlay. Mazda has been listed as a CarPlay partner since shortly after CarPlay first debuted, but it has yet to ...

Mazda to Add Android Auto, Apple CarPlay Capability
Cars.com News - ‎4 hours ago‎
The announcement came at a launch for the redesigned 2017 CX-5, but Mazda did not say which vehicle would be the first to debut with the smartphone mirroring technology installed. However, the part of the announcement that will be more exciting to some ...

AppleInsider (press release) (blog) - ‎1 hour ago‎
Mazda became an official CarPlay partner in 2014, but has remained largely quiet on the issue until now. The biggest gap in Apple's platform remains Toyota, which despite being one of the world's biggest auto firms has actively refused it in favor of ...

http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1...port-coming%2F

http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1...ctive-upgrades

http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1...20694439589%2F
Really, this is nothing new. Mazda said the same thing when the RF was released, and before the when the ND was released......

The canned response from Mazda for some time now.... more than a year.....................has been.....

Quote:
Mazda is currently working on making the Apple CarPlay available to the Mazda vehicles. What we can advise, is to visit our website (mazdahandsfree.com) in the near future to verify when the Apple CarPlay will be available. If you have any other questions or need further information, feel free to contact the Mazda Hands Free Support Line at 1-800-430-0153 Monday-Friday 7am-8pm CT.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Rnbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathol View Post
Really, this is nothing new. Mazda said the same thing when the RF was released, and before the when the ND was released......

The canned response from Mazda for some time now.... more than a year.....................has been.....

What is RF and ND?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
apple , carplay , cope , lack , support

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode